What's new
What's new

Schaublin 70 & Drive - bench mounting bolt pattern

Mcgyver

Diamond
I'm setting up a Schaublin 70 and drive of the type shown below on a bench I made. In the bottom of the lathe tray are three tapped holes for studs and 2 in the bottom of the drive.

Can anybody help with a layout/drawing for the location of the 5 holes needed through the bench?

Thanks!

xDMtlFn.jpg

I'm setting up a Schaublin 70 and drive of the type shown below on a bench I made. In the bottom of the lathe tray are three tapped holes for studs and 2 in the bottom of the drive.

Can anybody help with a layout/drawing for the location of the 5 holes needed through the bench?

Thanks!

xDMtlFn.jpg

Easier to lend you some of my stash of transfer pins. Faster if you make a few yerself.

Cheapest and faster yet if you take a bit of paper, and.. McGyver it right off the casting?

Scary-accurate done well, and you don't even need to care what measurement system the original was done in.

Bet you already knew that, too. Just had a brain fart.

:)

I've got transfer screws handy, but taking off from a drawing is preferred imo. They're just clearance, so tolerances are big and layout and drill is lot easier than flipping all the machine and stand about to measure and/or use transfer screws.

A lot of the reason for asking is placement of the drive relative to the lathe.....I'll just be guessing at the space between the lathe to the drive, correct function of the toggle on the pulley and the right tension on both belts is depends (mostly, it swings a bit) on this so I'd rather do it properly if a layout is kicking about somewhere handy

I've got transfer screws, but easiest is taking off from a drawing, rather turning everything upside down and measuring. They're just clearance, so tolerances are big.

A lot of the reason for asking is placement of the drive relative to the lathe.....I'll just be guessing at the space between the lathe to the drive, correct function of the toggle on the pulley and the right tension on both belts is depends (mostly, it swings a bit) on this so I'd rather do it properly if a layout is kicking about somewhere handy

Belts as they are, OEM and Metric world then, what can be in-hand, now, I wouldn't use a drawing if I had one.

"Guessing"? No Fine Way! Just position the "real hardware" with clamps 'til it fits and works well, derive hole location from what proved-out to work. "As built" drawing later, if at all.

Last small one I did? The castings were bolted to a wooden plate, counterbored under. The plate was positioned, then c'sunk screwed to an undrilled benchtop beneath. Looked OK, wood as it is, was fast, cheap, and flexible of revision.

2CW, but it is only a belt drive, and on wood, after all - not an interference-fit herringbone gearset in costly gearcase.

Schaublin did any of that sort of s**t as may have been needed FOR you, and at the other end of the belt..

The good news is if anyone every posts a thread "I can't find a hole layout drawing anywhere and now I don't know what to do!", you'll already have the posts written. :)

If anyone does have such a drawing or sketch, it would be much appreciated....

The good news is if anyone every posts a thread "I can't find a hole layout drawing anywhere and now I don't know what to do!", you'll already have the posts written. :)
Probably more fair had I been able to link to the OTHER Pilgrims I have learned near-as-dammit all I know FROM. Yerself on that list, BTW.

Unfortunately, too many have had the misfortune to have just died of old age, and long before the internet even came about. Oh, but if only we had even such notebooks as some kept better coalesced!

These help some folk, but are tip-of-the-iceberg for the "hard stuff":

Machine Shop Trade Secrets: James Harvey: 86146145696: Amazon.com: Books

Ain't really much in this trade as is brand-new, never seen somewhere before, is there?

So... PM's "stone soup party" is as much a living and dynamic library as anything else.

Hope you find your drawings. Meanwhile? "Charmin" serves....

:D

Nope.....except for S70 bolt hole location layout

Be grateful..VERY grateful.. it isn't ANY part of a US Machine "Quartet" combo mill!

Even so.. rumour has those opportunistic Swiss made more than just the one S70.
And.. bet they'd SELL you a drawing, too! Rosti has to be paid for, after all.

Back