What's new
What's new

Schaublin 70. Horisontal distance from bed edge to spindle center

tribologist

Cast Iron
Hi,

I wounder what the nominal distance id from the edge of the bed to the spindle center. I did a quick measurement using a angle plate with unknown precision and got it to 26.2-26.3mm. Seems a bit odd to me since Shaublins stuff are often even mm.

Anyone that have the spec on this?

Ulf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I wounder what the nominal distance id from the edge of the bed to the spindle center. I did a quick measurement using a angle plate with unknown precision and got it to 26.2-26.3mm. Seems a bit odd to me since Shaublins stuff are often even mm.

Anyone that have the spec on this?

Ulf

Not a Schaublin guru, but WHERE, which edge? And might it "come out even" if measured axis of rotation vertically to HS base or a plane on the bed?

Advertised "swing" has usually been a "trade" figure, so I'd expect any lathe maker to have a bit of reserve. US makers, quite a LOT of it.

10" nominal 12.5" actual 10EE. I haven't measured, but I'd bet "blind" there are a few thou MORE than 12.5". Always.

The other direction is simply higher-risk as to embarra$$ment. Why cut it too fine?

70s have the spindle located by two features: the flat top of the bed (kinda like an atlas~!) and the front square, vertical edge
of the bed.

I'm in the middle of making a bed adapter for a 70 turret, and I seem to recall the number was an even 26 mm. But I'll
check my print later today.

70s have the spindle located by two features: the flat top of the bed (kinda like an atlas~!) and the front square, vertical edge
of the bed.

I'm in the middle of making a bed adapter for a 70 turret, and I seem to recall the number was an even 26 mm. But I'll
check my print later today.

Thanks!! That was my guess. Almost everything seems even mm (except the spindle nose thread :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I measured 1.024 which is near enough neat to 26 mm.

This was however a bit of fiddly job as I was working from the edge of the turret base, up to the tooling blank in the turret itself.
So a bit of math involved. But it did work out neat in terms of numbers.

Thanks Jim.

I was simply laying a angle on the bed and measured from the edge of the bed to the angle base and then added half od the quill diameter of the tailstock. 26mm even makes sense.

Ulf

Yep, I measured 1.024 which is near enough neat to 26 mm.

This was however a bit of fiddly job as I was working from the edge of the turret base, up to the tooling blank in the turret itself.
So a bit of math involved. But it did work out neat in terms of numbers.

Monarchist, on the Schaublin 70 the spindle is 70mm above the bed. I don't know the spec but would not be surprised if it is a tenth or two when they are new. Schaubin is well known for making parts interchangeable.

You can get some better idea if you look at Schaublin 65 and 7� Lathes - Anglo-Swiss Tools

Ulf

Thanks, cool site. The turret mentioned above can be seen in the 70TR illustration therein. Soon to be mated to a 7"
pratt whitney lathe!

Soon to be mated to a 7"
pratt whitney lathe!

Good on yah! Similar-enough "social class" the bride and groom there.

Just to show I'm not QUITE a crazy as some think... I shall NOT, repeat NOT take Schaublin's clever use of square + dovetail ways as justifuckation to run a pass through the mill then graft a Schaublin 70 HS onto an... other square-bed 6" X 18" Lathe Shaped Object ... and replace its fifty year old ZAMAK change-gears with shaved or ground steel ones..

Nah. d'ruther bury it in the back garden as footer for a paint shed or such....

:)

Back