Schaublin 70. Horisontal distance from bed edge to spindle center
Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default Schaublin 70. Horisontal distance from bed edge to spindle center

    Hi,

    I wounder what the nominal distance id from the edge of the bed to the spindle center. I did a quick measurement using a angle plate with unknown precision and got it to 26.2-26.3mm. Seems a bit odd to me since Shaublins stuff are often even mm.

    Anyone that have the spec on this?

    Ulf


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3452
    Likes (Received)
    3346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tribologist View Post
    Hi,

    I wounder what the nominal distance id from the edge of the bed to the spindle center. I did a quick measurement using a angle plate with unknown precision and got it to 26.2-26.3mm. Seems a bit odd to me since Shaublins stuff are often even mm.

    Anyone that have the spec on this?

    Ulf
    Not a Schaublin guru, but WHERE, which edge? And might it "come out even" if measured axis of rotation vertically to HS base or a plane on the bed?

    Advertised "swing" has usually been a "trade" figure, so I'd expect any lathe maker to have a bit of reserve. US makers, quite a LOT of it.

    10" nominal 12.5" actual 10EE. I haven't measured, but I'd bet "blind" there are a few thou MORE than 12.5". Always.

    The other direction is simply higher-risk as to embarra$$ment. Why cut it too fine?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    23,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3516

    Default

    70s have the spindle located by two features: the flat top of the bed (kinda like an atlas~!) and the front square, vertical edge
    of the bed.

    I'm in the middle of making a bed adapter for a 70 turret, and I seem to recall the number was an even 26 mm. But I'll
    check my print later today.

  4. Likes Monarchist liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    70s have the spindle located by two features: the flat top of the bed (kinda like an atlas~!) and the front square, vertical edge
    of the bed.

    I'm in the middle of making a bed adapter for a 70 turret, and I seem to recall the number was an even 26 mm. But I'll
    check my print later today.
    Thanks!! That was my guess. Almost everything seems even mm (except the spindle nose thread :-).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    23,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3516

    Default

    Yep, I measured 1.024 which is near enough neat to 26 mm.

    This was however a bit of fiddly job as I was working from the edge of the turret base, up to the tooling blank in the turret itself.
    So a bit of math involved. But it did work out neat in terms of numbers.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    Thanks Jim.

    I was simply laying a angle on the bed and measured from the edge of the bed to the angle base and then added half od the quill diameter of the tailstock. 26mm even makes sense.

    Ulf


    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Yep, I measured 1.024 which is near enough neat to 26 mm.

    This was however a bit of fiddly job as I was working from the edge of the turret base, up to the tooling blank in the turret itself.
    So a bit of math involved. But it did work out neat in terms of numbers.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    20

    Default

    Monarchist, on the Schaublin 70 the spindle is 70mm above the bed. I don't know the spec but would not be surprised if it is a tenth or two when they are new. Schaubin is well known for making parts interchangeable.

    You can get some better idea if you look at Schaublin 65 and 7 Lathes - Anglo-Swiss Tools

    Ulf

  9. Likes Monarchist, BugRobotics liked this post
  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3452
    Likes (Received)
    3346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tribologist View Post
    You can get some better idea if you look at Schaublin 65 and 7 Lathes - Anglo-Swiss Tools

    Ulf
    Lovely read!

    Thanks, Ulf

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    peekskill, NY
    Posts
    23,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tribologist View Post
    Monarchist, on the Schaublin 70 the spindle is 70mm above the bed. I don't know the spec but would not be surprised if it is a tenth or two when they are new. Schaubin is well known for making parts interchangeable.

    You can get some better idea if you look at Schaublin 65 and 7� Lathes - Anglo-Swiss Tools

    Ulf
    Thanks, cool site. The turret mentioned above can be seen in the 70TR illustration therein. Soon to be mated to a 7"
    pratt whitney lathe!

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3452
    Likes (Received)
    3346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Soon to be mated to a 7"
    pratt whitney lathe!
    Good on yah! Similar-enough "social class" the bride and groom there.

    Just to show I'm not QUITE a crazy as some think... I shall NOT, repeat NOT take Schaublin's clever use of square + dovetail ways as justifuckation to run a pass through the mill then graft a Schaublin 70 HS onto an... other square-bed 6" X 18" Lathe Shaped Object ... and replace its fifty year old ZAMAK change-gears with shaved or ground steel ones..

    Nah. d'ruther bury it in the back garden as footer for a paint shed or such....



Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •