What's new
What's new

Swiss Machines in the Wild

deboom_j

Plastic
One of my hobbies is target shooting, so when I first heard the name Tanner, I didn't know what or who they were. Of course I googled them, and found their website.

Tanner Firma

Thought you guys might appreciate the machines shown in the pics. Looks like a nice shop! Look like they make nice rifles too.

John

One of my hobbies is target shooting, so when I first heard the name Tanner, I didn't know what or who they were. Of course I googled them, and found their website.

Tanner Firma

Thought you guys might appreciate the machines shown in the pics. Looks like a nice shop! Look like they make nice rifles too.

John
Interesting.... Schaublin 13 mills that look as nice as the one I had...except even better as they have the vertical heads with moving quill...very cool.

Also interesting is the Schaublin 102N lathe that appears to not be on the official Schaulin cast iron bench, but does have the electrics integrated into the bench..... wonder if Schaublin offered that at one time... or they did this ?

Also interesting is the Schaublin 102N lathe that appears to not be on the official Schaulin cast iron bench, but does have the electrics integrated into the bench..... wonder if Schaublin offered that at one time... or they did this ?

Are you talking about the ones with the red tops?

That's called the laboratory top. I owned an older 102 with that top. Very nice to clean off.

That's called the laboratory top. I owned an older 102 with that top. Very nice to clean off.
A friend of mine has one too, older (and green top), with a more modern square head grafted on. Might figure out a way to do a top like that on the cabinet base machine in the shop.

Yes.... so Schaublin did offer that sort of base at one time for the 102 series complete with electrical controls integrated into the right side ? In a way more logical than the cast iron base.. looks nicer and more storage of accessories possible. Only disadvantage would be if one wanted infinite vari drive but perhaps even that was possible via a special top mounted out drive ?

The iron base w/ Urphen tops I'm familiar with look like this:

maschinen-drehbank

Of course there were other non-OEM bases offered, and I wouldn't be surprised if the 'N' machines Tanner has are mounted on bases 2 or 3 generations older than the machines.

What is "Urphen".... a manufacturer of plastic laminate like Formica...or a bench top manufacturer ? Googling the word seems to bring up nothing.

Try googling "Urphenplatte".

Urphen is a chemically resistant plastic laminate, softer and more resilient than Formica®. It is not a registered trademark so must be a description of a type of material. It is a standard Lista benchtop offering, also widely available from other workshop furniture suppliers.

Adding: apropos of odd Schaublin benches ...

maschinen-drehbank-marke-schaublin-102

maschinen-drehbank-marke-schaublin-102

Back