What's new
What's new

Tool room lathe suggestions

706jim

Titanium
My former employer is moving one department with a tiny shop to a new technical center next year. The existing shop has a variety of CNC equipment, but also an old Standard Modern lathe (maybe 30-35 years old?)that gets a lot of use by students out of scheduled lab time. It is a good experience for them to run it as it is not particularly accurate or powerful. Set up a parting tool with too much overhang and you will hear about it.

I was asked if I knew what manufacturer could provide a quality replacement manual lathe of about 14-16" swing. Not a CNC, but something where a new comer could get a feel for cutting forces, chatter, tool setup and so on before going on to the more modern stuff.

The only makes I know are the old ones discussed on this forum.

Do any of you have any recommendations for this sort of machine?

Jim,

If you're asking about new lathes, as far as I know, you are pretty much limited to off-shore manufactured machines. There are some pretty good ones, but like with most things, you get what you pay for. I think one of the nicer Asian machines is the Takasawa. You can check them out here: http://www.takisawa.co.jp/-e2/products/e02(TSL,TAL).htm

Ted

Of course, Wacheon is another option, but they are a pretty heavy duty machine (copy of the Mori Seiki).

Back