What's new
What's new

VDF v630 mechanical help?

Korstolokki

Plastic
So, I got me a new lathe. VDF v630 that has been sitting still for the past 10 years so the first thing before I could start running it was to clean it good and get all the rust out. I decided to do the paint while I'm at because there were a lot of chips and scratches. However the only manual that I have is the one that is posted somewhere here in the forum and that is only an operating manual whit no info on the parts or how the thing should be serviced etc.

During that said cleaning process I have run into couple of mechanical conundrums to whose I would gladly accept some assistance.

The first one is with the feed speed selection gear box: I was removing the knobs in order to put a fresh paint on the thing and when I pulled the locking lever that sits behind the main selector wheel of the link that it operates fell into the gearbox. So now in order to get it re connected I see no other way that to open the gear box. And this concerns me as I don't have any pictures of what is in there.
sorvi-osat3 017.jpg
So my question is... Does anybody have any manual or picture of this type of gearbox? Or has someone any memories of taking something like this apart? It looks like the box is two assemblies with the selectors assembled on the front cover and gears to the back half... The thing is... ...is there how big of change of losing timing between the gears and selectors or dropping bunch of parts and not being able to definately tell where they dropped from if one would just unbolt the front and pull the two halves apart.

All help will be greatly appreciated, even educated guesses. :)

I don't want to make you nervous but these gearboxes has got to be the most complex ever designed for a lathe. In the manual at page 53 is some info about (de)mounting the box.

The manual I have only goes to page 43...:rolleyes5:
But I managed to get the thing open. Not that the opening part ever was that that worried me. I got an inspection endoscope and tried to make some sense of what to expect tho before cracking it open. Now it's closed up and back on the lathe and I even think that I got the thing closed right.
Sorvi-vaihteisto 021.jpgSorvi-vaihteisto 022.jpg
If anyone is interested that's what it looked like inside. There is quite a bit of things to line up but luckily nothing is free inside there so it could fall off and most of the control levers either line up and you can close it or they don't and the box wont close up. Only thing that is really easy to mess up is the main selector wheel which rotates the 40 different ratios. Because its just a gear drive it can engage in any position. It wont affect the function but it will throw your indicator off and the you wont know what gear is on if you put it back in a wrong position.

Right, I have an other one. This should be simpler... How is the spindle clutch operating linkage supposed to look like?
I can see that this part is brokensorvi-muovi 018.jpg
It's the part that rotates in the side of the quick select gearbox that the clutch rod from the apron (and the link from the clutch lever on the side of the gearbox) connects to. The arm that the push/pull rod going to the back of the head stock connects to looks like it has broken off. So first question: What is this part supposed to be like? really the only crucial measurement is the distance from the center of the rotation and the angle in relation to the other arm with the pin for the hole where the push/pull rod attaches.

Next question: Is there supposed to be only one (about half a meter long) push/pull rod connecting the first part to this assembly under the head stock that operates the cam that moves the sleeve inside the head stocksorvi-muovi 016.jpg
Or am I missing some larger assembly all together?

The reason I'm wondering that is the there is no positive stop for the movement for this cam that operates the sleeve.
sorvi-muovi 026.jpg
No other than that filed cap head screw that is poking out from the cam. That does not look like it is an original solution. But with out it the cam can rotate too far(it would be able to spin completely around if the push/pull rod was disconnected) That is to the forward direction, in the reverse the push/pull rod jams itself against the part in the first picture but that does not seem like a suitable solution either. And by rotating too far I mean that the part in the third picture has rollers off center from its rotational axis towards the center of the lathe and they cam the sleeve either forward or back to compress the clutch packs but when you turn the cams too far they go over the top dead center of the movement and the clutch spring pushes it even further which leads to the clutch opening and the operating lever getting stuck in the over traveled position..
So the third question: What and where is supposed to limit the travel/rotation of this system?

If there is someone out there who has knowledge or someone willing to take a few measurements/pictures of their VDF lathe it would be a great help.

Back