What's new
What's new

Voest Lathe Rebuild

clifton77208

Aluminum
I have a 17x60 voest on the way to the shop today. It's in pretty rough shape, but the price was right. The riggers, and hopefully the lathe will be here at 3. Pictures will follow.

Cool, Ive had one for about 25 years. Mine is one of the older DAT styles. Great machine. Do you have the manual? I have a PDF if you need it. Another member uploaded it a few years ago. Not much maintenance except for changin oil. I did have to remove the thread gear shifter box once and disassemble and clean it as the oil gummed up for some reason and it would not shift.

I do have a manual for this machine, but a second pdf could never hurt. Thanks!!

Here is a cubic crap load of pictures as promised:
0420121551.jpg

0420121539.jpg

0420121532.jpg

0420121525.jpg

0420121433.jpg

Note that the house next to the semi tractor belongs the most annoying people in my neighborhood. I was pleased with the parking arrangement.

I gotta run a little away mission for a customer, but I'll throw some more lathe pics on either later tonight or tomorrow. Any of you guys like BSA motorcycles? I have to go stick some parts on one.

Sweet looking lathe! What’s the swing on that one? Looks to be a quality build.

I’ve always preferred Triumphs, build a dozen or more back in “the day”…………..
Earl.

Thanks! It's 17" with the gap in place. No clue what it is with the thing removed ( which I do not plan to do ).

Good work on that bike. :cheers:

Here's some more pictures of the voest project. After escaping from landscaping detail, I sequestered myself in the shop and did some disassembly, cleaning (similar to to the landscaping), and a very small amount of machine work. I discovered all sorts of interesting things today including crunchy leadscrew bearings (and scored bearing surface), a mushroomed leadscrew clutch, bent locator dowels, and finally some metric-standard force fits. Fortunately, the transmission stuff seems to be in good order.

0422120119.jpg

0422120038.jpg

0421122333.jpg

0421122254.jpg

0421121920.jpg

0421121020.jpg

0421121111.jpg

Comparison of 7x10 and voest datr tailstocks
0421121001.jpg

After many delays, some progress has been made on the Voest. I did find gearbox that I can use to replace the lower transmission. However, it is not factory equipment and I would much rather have the origional. If anybody has a dead DAT or DATR laying around, let me know.

Here are some pictures of lathe repair stuff to appease everybody's iron and grease obsession.
0610121217.jpg

0423122020-1.jpg

0525121512-1.jpg

We have bondo. Lots, and lots of bondo!!! I'm only filling in the sections that were damaged. I will rough up the current paint, spray primer, and then a top coat (after masking off all applicable things).

0611121541.jpg

0612121259.jpg

Love seeing another Voest lathe being saved from the scrapyard.
I have a later DA210 voest I bought after I got tired of hearing from my son what a" noodle" my 12" craftsman is. He is a real machinest and gave the Voest his aproval. Like he said "now thats a lathe!"
Are you missing the lower gearbox and the chip pan? The chip pan is an easy build, but what are you going to use for the gearbox?
another forum member, Forest Addy, has a Voest he bought new and has been a great source of information for my cleanup, he may know a source for parts
Good luck on your build, Ilook forward to the "after" photos.voest 2.jpg

Goodin, my solution for a gearbox is downright savage. I pulled one from an old case tractor. I will adapt this to a two speed chain drive that connects to the lower 4-groove sheave (as per Forrest Addy's suggestion). A vfd will serve to transform the power to 3-phase and hit speeds not offered by the gearbox. At this point, I do not plan to run a chip pan. I usually just pick up all the chips with a shop vac I keep near my machines. I will create some deflectors above the motor and gearbox to keep the chips out of all this stuff.

I was under the impression that this thread was long since dead. Therefore, I have a cubic crap ton of photos that need to be posted. Enjoy.

0617121425.jpg

Finished sight glass. I can probably buy these, but the material was nearly free.

0614121924.jpg

0704121621.jpg

Here's one of the lower gibs chucked up on the surface grinder. After these were machined back into spec, I found the bottom of the bed to be worn to a much greater extent than I thought. The top appears to be fine. Does anybody have some tricks for correcting wear on the running surfaces under the bed?
0704121644.jpg

More lower gibs
0626121834.jpg

0627121830.jpg

That ugly orange thing is the gearbox to be used. Some modification is required.

Nice work, looks like it will be a fun lathe. I am having a bit of trouble visualizing the transmission set up, though.
That'll likely keep me checking in on your progress.

I'm curious, what is the make of that slick little surface grinder? I think I need one!

Rex

Rex. Thank you. That's a little delta milwaukee toolmaker. I put it back together after I ordered it from hgr surplus in December. I think the thread is called "Ancient Delta Grinder" or something of that nature. As far as grinders go, it is not terribly rigid, but it is versatile. It always leaves very faint chatter marks, but they seem to be on the order of a few millionths as the do not move the needle of my indicator.

The transmission will be a trick. I needed a gearbox with evenly spaced ratios (and within a college student's budget). This unit is pretty good, but it looks like I will have to incorporate a high and low range to hit all of the factory spindle rpms. I will add a two speed reduction drive between the transmission and spindle to accomplish this. This will either be composed of v-belts on step pulleys, or a chain drive. There is a substantial gap between speeds 3 and 4, which will necessitate some method of fine tuning the motor speed.

I just got done doing a job at the machinery dealership where I picked this lathe up. Fortunately, I managed to find the gear cover sitting in the chip pan of its previous neighbor, which the proprietor let me abscond with free of charge.

currently its a "catchcan" to drain cutting fluids from the chip tray if I start doing a lot of steel I'll hook it up to a pump and plumb it for coolant. I have an endless (for a hobbiest) supply of carbite insert tooling and Aluminum "drops" so I usually make stuff from it with wd40 as a cutting fluid or just cut dry

Back