What's new
What's new

Webb (MORI MS clone) automoatic oiler not working

ssoeder

Plastic
So I just got done taking apart and cleaning and lubing my cross slide and compound and I adjusted gibs and backlash so now the lathe handles really nice. In taking everything apart, I realized the automatic oiler isn't working. I tried cleaning the oil output hole with pipe cleaner, but I think there is either a really solid blockage or a bend in the pathway, because I get about 6-7" of pipe cleaner in there and hit a wall I can't get past. Interestingly, if I load that hole up with solvent (which I did) and I operate the cairrage wheel, it will squirt the solvent out. So it seems it's building pressure, but not able to suck the oil up.

I'm looking for any advice for how to service this system.

More information on the lathe would be helpful.

Webb has imported a few machines, one of which was the Takisawa TSL series. I have one imported by Yuasa that prob needs work in the same area.

Dumb questions, but does the reservoir have oil in it? Screens clean?

neil

Sorry about that! It's a clone of the Mori-Seiki MS-1050 (17x40 lathe). Here's the spec sheet if you're
I know it sounds bad, but I don't actually know the WEBB model number off hand since I always just use the Mori number anytime I need it. All the manuals and parts lists we have for the machine are from the mori too.

Everything is clean and lubed now - it was a little tight, not in a good way, so I tore the compound and cross down to clean and lube everything good and that's when I discovered the auto oiler wasn't working.

If it is pushing out the solvent you pour in then obviously the pump is working so it must not be able to pick up oil for some reason. It isn't that difficult to pull the apron off you need to take out the feed and lead screws and then drop the box down take a look inside and see what the problem is. You might try putting solvent in the apron box and flushing out first either way it is worth whatever time it takes to get the oiler working.

Ive got another Mori Seiki copy, Yang cadillac 2260. The apron pump on mine was not working either. I took the apron apart and saw that the lube lines were made of 1/4" aluminum and were corroded through in places. Replaced with copper and took the pump apart. Full of gunk. Cleaned it and has worked since. Mine is 1997 vintage.

Back