What's new
What's new

Weiler LZ 330 Thread dial

Mats Andersen

Plastic
Hi there.

I have plans to make my own thread dial indicator as I cant source any items for sale.
However I have struggled to figure out how many teeth it would be sensible to have on the gear..
Does someone have such a gear and can measure it for me? Or at least the number of teeth?
Any tips woudl be very velcome.

with best regards
Mats Andersen
Norway

Mats

The originally supplied threading dial for the IMPERIAL specification lead screw is a two gear train to provide offset.

Both gears are identical and carry 16 teeth on a 36 mm outer diameter.

Mats

The originally supplied threading dial for the IMPERIAL specification lead screw is a two gear train to provide offset.

Both gears are identical and carry 16 teeth on a 36 mm outer diameter.

Thanks for the reply. OK thats good to know.

Allthough I would be working in metric for the most part.. After som further checking it sems metric thread cuttging using dial indicator is a far more complex scene.
I have not given it too much thought up until now. I have been able to do most of my hobby work for years without turning threads in the lathe.

I could keep it engaged and run it backwards forwards etc, but the weiler does not have a footbrake so it is tricky to stop the machine going up towards a shoulder for example - which is common scenario.
A quick retracting toolpost might work but it must be good. ANy tips where to obtain such a device?

best
Mats

I can take photos and measurements of my thread dial of it would help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Mine is English so the gear would be different. The rest should be the same

Mine is English so the gear would be different. The rest should be the same

It seems though as I have found a solution with a retractable tool holder. I can then keep it in gear and reverse, then re apply the cutter.
Its a shame these machines dont have spindle brake

M

Mats,

Did you know that you can open the halfnuts with some threads without a problem.

When the threadpitch on your leadscrew divided by the thread you want to cut is a whole number, you can do this.

For example:

6mm leadscrew 1,5mm thread on the part is
6/1,5=4
So you can open the halfnuts here.

Greetings,

Peter

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

So I'm resurrecting this old thread because "of course" I'm in need of a threading dial as the proud new owner of a great condition 1961 Weiler LZ330 and it seems I'll be needing to make my own too. I get the 16 teeth as the lead screw is 4TPI (on mine anyway). I'm wanting to see the two gear situation. I'm guessing this is because the lead screw is so high on the lz330 relative to the carriage and the ways that you would need something like this to offset the gear train to be able to position the dial in a suitable location... but I'm not really sure if that's the real concept behind the two gears. Maybe there is some other reason im not thinking of... I can cut metric with imperial dial but mostly do imperial so i really want one. Any thoughts on why the gear train is required?

Mats
Did you ever get or make one? If so would/could you send pic?

Readymix
You mentioned you would be willing to send pic of yours. Id love to see that if you're still willing.

I just took a bunch of photos, but don’t have a place to host them. I know I posted photos here before.
Is there a way to upload them?

Back