What's new
What's new

weiler matador chuck adapter

alpha1

Aluminum
I am looking for an adapter to fit a Bison 6 inch "set-thru" lathe chuck to a weiler matador,
which has a DIN flange, Bison doesn't sell a proper DIN adapter as far as I know. Is anybody in the comunity know where to get?

The Matador was available with DIN 800 (threaded nose), D1-4" Cam-Lock and DIN 55022/5 spindle noses.

DIN 55022/5 6"dia. back plates should be in stock in Toronto for CAD 191.40 + 8% + taxes, as applicable + shipping.
Arno

I can get it for you and you save the PST but pay for transport.
You may have to pay PST but most likely can pick it up in Vancouver. Check the Yellow Pages under 'Industrial Equipment & Supplies'.
When you talk to people ask for KAR Part # 535-7921_065.
Arno

I have just taken delivery of a little used (for year) 1973 Matador VS. I was looking into making my own backplates when it occured to me that the dimensions of the Din 55022 spindle nose taper & stud PCD are the same as a D1-5 camlock. (see www.lathes.co.uk spindle nose fittings)

Has anyone tried fitting one of these?

It would entail drilling 2 extra stud holes at 90 degrees to 2 of the existing ones & a dowel hole.
I am also looking into making adapters to bolt on 2 of my D1-4 ring collet adapters.

Don

I have been looking in the UK Toolmex-Polmach catalogue and they seem to imply that DIN 55022 is equivalent to DIN 55027 = taper C which is available as a Bison 160mm s c chuck for the Matador.

Is this correct?

Don

I have been looking in the UK Toolmex-Polmach catalogue and they seem to imply that DIN 55022 is equivalent to DIN 55027 = taper C which is available as a Bison 160mm s c chuck for the Matador.

Is this correct?

Don

Check out this website http://www.schunk.com/usa/default.html and look for the Roto-S line of manual chucks. You might be inspired to put the chuck on your Weiler it truly deserves.

Gary M.

Thanks Gary. I'm afraid one of these chucks, new, is beyond my price range (circa 1500 euro?).
There is a 250mm version on German Ebay, so I will keep an eye open for a 160mm.
Meanwhile I may get or make a backplate for my spare Pratt Burnerd.
Don

I just bought a Bison Adaptor plate (DIN 55027 - order No. 8230-124 ) for my Weiler Primus. The spindle on my (very small) lathe is 125mm / short taper No. 4 / DIN 55021. However, the stud pattern is identical to DIN 55027 or 55022 - I just threw away the camlock studs that came with the plate and put in three M10 threaded studs.
I was able to mount my Rohm chuck (DIN 6350 (centermount with a 95 mm hole) in a few minutes with 0.02 mm TIR.

I have a LZ280 with a metric threaded spindle . .I wanted to convert it to D1-4 .and Yes, I know this supposedly isn't an acceptable pratice but it does work great . . I bought a replacement spindle with D1-4 mount from Enco from an import lathe it was around $120 complete with camlocks . . then I cut off the head from the spindle shaft . . and then machined threads on the inside to match my Lz spindle .

Do the LZ 330 and the LZ 280 have matching spindle threads (when eqipped with threads rather than other spindles noses)? The LZ 330 is a 60 by 4 thread: I have one of these.

Zman, if your LZ 280 and my LZ 330 have matching threads and you have threaded accessories you no longer want, I might want them.

Northernsinger

I have just taken delivery of a little used (for year) 1973 Matador VS. I was looking into making my own backplates when it occured to me that the dimensions of the Din 55022 spindle nose taper & stud PCD are the same as a D1-5 camlock. (see www.lathes.co.uk spindle nose fittings)

Has anyone tried fitting one of these?

It would entail drilling 2 extra stud holes at 90 degrees to 2 of the existing ones & a dowel hole.
I am also looking into making adapters to bolt on 2 of my D1-4 ring collet adapters.

Don

The above is a comment from an old thread, but it's currently relevant as I have a line on a Weiler Matador that apparently has the DIN 55027-5 (the same as 55022, as I understand) spindle nose. Despite the above comment, however, my information indicates that the DIN standard and the camlock D1-5 standard are not quite identical: D1-5 dia. = 3.2505" whereas DIN 55027 dia. = 3.2509". The tolerance on the D1-5 is -.0000", +.0005". I don't know what the tolerance is on the DIN 55027. Anyway, I would appreciate knowing if it is practical to adapt a D1-5 chuck backplate to this lathe. Thanks.

Mike

Back