What's new
What's new

Weiler Matador Details

adrian

Cast Iron
Hi all

I have just bought a Weiler Matador yet to be delivered.
I would be most grateful if someone could either post or e-mail me the dimension details of the base so I can make skate board for it to sit on whilst it goes through a strip down refurb schedule.

I understand a inch machine has a 4TPI lead screw, what is the pitch on the metric machine.

Also if someone has a manual or photocopy they want to sell I would be interested, as I know absolutely nothing about these lathes and any advise would be gratefully received.

cheers Adrian.

Last edited:
I got one !

You are going to love the Weiler Matador, I do. its a great lathe to work in and has some nice features you will have to lear to use. its a good solid lathe, nice high RPM too.

Email me your Address info and I will send you a CD with the manul and info you need.
I have to burn one for Albin too...... sorry for taking so long..... BUSSSSSSSSY!
I get to it ASAP... good thing I saw this thread :)

Jan.

I am pretty sure the Matado has a 4TPI lead srew..... its all in the gears..... to make mm threads you will need the 127 toothed gear ...... Correct me it I am wrong somebody.

Jan

CD Ready

Adrian,

I hope to hear from you today, I start a two week vacation this after noon.....
and you will have to wait.

Hi Jan

I sent you a private message with my details. Please look in private message inbox. I will send again just in case.

Many thanks for the help Adrian.

I had a Matador years ago,but not enough space for it. Sold it to a doctor friend who makes models.Now,I have to listen to how wonderful it is every time I call him!!! Now,I have a much larger shop,too. Tony Griffiths has Weiler manuals. I traded him mine. What happened was,I lost the manual,and ordered one from the manufacturer when I sold the lathe. The idiots sent it by COURIER,which cost me $125.00. Then,of course I found the lost manual. At least I traded it to Tony for a $115.00 GK12 Deckel manual I needed,so all wasn't lost. The Matador is a great lathe.Mine was in excellent shape.But,you've got that German nose to deal with,not the handiest or quickest for changing chucks.

Thanks Jan for the CD.

The lathe is yet to turn up, it's being sent on a pallet which I have reservations about, but assuming it has not fallen over and arrives in one piece, the plan is to give it a good clean up and see what sort of condition it's in.

The only picture I have is poor, however it is said to have come from a university toolroom so hopefully it's not a completely worn out piece of scrap.

My winter project (assuming I can find the time) is refurbishment back to it's former glory and fit a DRO. I will post some pictures of the process.

regards Adrian.

Attachments

• 49a6_1-1.jpg
    49a6_1-1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 564
But,you've got that German nose to deal with,not the handiest or quickest for changing chucks.
All but one Matador and Condor machines sold here had D1 Cam-Lock spindle noses. The one DIN 55022 war ordered by a subsidiary of a German company.
--
Arno

Matator

gwilson, I can't say I have a noisy Matador.... moderate considering its age and so on. My father has an odl SB and with the gears engaged you think he has an old tractor fired up in his basement.

My Matador has a bajonet chuck lock..... its Great.... whats wrong with this?????

Adrian, I hope your Mataor is all you can wish for. Good luck.

Jan

PS Remember to share the CD with the next guy who asks :)

Arno, I know that you're the authority on this but I've got a Condor (serial # 6450, with a Cosa tag) with a European spindle nose. Hard to believe there was only one of these. I bought this lathe in New Hampshire, USA, about a year ago.

I also have a LZ 330 with a metric threaded spindle but that is another story, of course.

Arno, I know that you're the authority on this but I've got a Condor (serial # 6450, with a Cosa tag) with a European spindle nose. Hard to believe there was only one of these. I bought this lathe in New Hampshire, USA, about a year ago.

I also have a LZ 330 with a metric threaded spindle but that is another story, of course.
I am no authority but did observe a lot.
Sorry, but I do not know what happened in the US. I can only speak about what happened in Canada.
The 5" 55022, better than the 4" D1 spindle for chuck mounting, was standard with the Cam-Lock spindle offered as option. The DIN 800 M60x4 was standard on the LZ330 as shown on the fly out tab of the 1013 "Extra Accessories and Attachments for Precision Lathes" catalogue.
There may have actually been more machines with DIN 55022 spindle nose in Canada if they were imported directly. If ordered from the factory with 550/3/60 electrics we received a partial commission as we were expected to handle the warranty service.
--
Arno

i also have an lz 330 fab nr 2679 that has the din 55022 spindle nose. it is a 550 volt machine with a cosa tag on it. originally bought by rca victor of montreal.

i also have an lz 330 fab nr 2679 that has the din 55022 spindle nose. it is a 550 volt machine with a cosa tag on it. originally bought by rca victor of Montreal.
RCA set up this this new CRT plant in Midland, ON. later sold to Mitsubishi.
I don't have a record of Weiler serial numbers but the timing seems to be in line for the Deckels they bought for that new Midland plant,
--
Arno

when i bought it it came with all manuals and some cosa letters to rca from june of 1968. the weiler test certificate that came with it is dated 31 aug 1967.

Back