What's new
What's new

Why has no one made an offer on my Schaublin 102N lathe for sale ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
There is plenty of "interest" with 16 watchers and over 800 views in just three weeks.... but no offers.

These later N models are rare as hen's teeth in the USA...especially ones with variable speed and a backgear type head. The price is HALF what it would be from a Swiss dealer....and that's just the basic machine without the starwheel tailstock and turret. What am I missing ? Would a video help ?
Would brand new spindle bearings help ? (it doesn't need them, but replacing is so easy to do I kind of wish I had when I had to disassemble the spindle to replace the drive belt anyway)

Schaublin 12N lathe with many accessories and tooling. | eBay

And yes, this post is a sneaky way of getting yet more "ads" for the thing out there... but I genuinely am baffled by the lack of offers or questions on this lathe.

There is plenty of "interest" with 16 watchers and over 800 views in just three weeks.... but no offers.

These later N models are rare as hen's teeth in the USA...especially ones with variable speed and a backgear type head. The price is HALF what it would be from a Swiss dealer....and that's just the basic machine without the starwheel tailstock and turret. What am I missing ? Would a video help ?
Would brand new spindle bearings help ? (it doesn't need them, but replacing is so easy to do I kind of wish I had when I had to disassemble the spindle to replace the drive belt anyway)

Schaublin 12N lathe with many accessories and tooling. | eBay

And yes, this post is a sneaky way of getting yet more "ads" for the thing out there... but I genuinely am baffled by the lack of offers or questions on this lathe.

My guess? Many people actually fear a machine so legendary it is capable of better work than they are, and is also notoriously costly to keep 'right' as far as sourcing parts and having the patience and skill to install them properly.

Ergo, those who can afford the price may go off and settle for lesser and more familiar machines they are comfortable with and believe they can more easily maintain inexpensively.

JM2CW, but you ain't offering no Piper Apache there. More akin to a Wing Derringer.

The clickable link in the opening post says "12N" rather than "102N". If that issue is specific to this thread, then no big deal, but if that designation is on eBay, it might affect searches.

In any event, I expect that machine is almost exclusively attractive to collectors, not "real users." The latter can get more (like threading) for the same or less $$.

Nice looking machine

ad is written for a Schaublin enthusiast

I often am puzzled when I see ads with a bunch of copied text about basic things on something I am interested it, because I always research my interests. In this case, knowing nothing about the machine, I still know nothing about the machine. So that cut and paste would be useful to me. spindle speed, swing, CC, year, is it supported, accuracy....why should I buy this instead of an equally pretty hardinge which has feeds and threading[see I just researched this which I don't even care about and found out it has feeds down the center. I learned something. are your customers similarly motivated]

Now a Schaublin guy already knows the answers, but if you are hoping to sell to someone who isn't an enthusiast you need to tell him the reasons

Sometimes that happens if it was me I would withdraw it and sell it in the summer.M achines in my experience sell better certain times of the year,plus sometimes I guess that the people who are looking for this make of lathe just arnt there for whatever reason could be working away,getting married,lot bills after xmas.Iv withdrawn things before when they have not met reserve put them back on and made 3 times more than I expected with a lot of interest

Now a Schaublin guy already knows the answers, but if you are hoping to sell to someone who isn't an enthusiast you need to tell him the reasons
I hear ya but I am assuming only a Schaublin enthusiast would be interested in this machine. Except for the lack of starwheel tailstock possibilities, a Hardinge DV-59 for example would offer more bang for buck for this style of lathe. But there is something hard to describe where the 102 and 102N are simply more pleasant to use than the Hardinge for smaller, finer work. The cross slide and compound are smaller and easier to turn, more precise feel....hard to put into words that don't sound like a BS sales pitch..you have to try them both to really know.

Also the Schaublin has a clutch foot pedal that when pressed instantly stops the spindle (but not the spindle motor)....release it and the spindle instantly resumes turning....very handy for frequent diameter checking as you approach your goal diameter and/or turn length. Hardinge does not offer this. Perhaps that is the sort of thing I should tout that might turn a non Schaublin enthusiast into one ?? Still you almost have to experience it to know how nice a feature that can be.

So I suppose the mystery is who kidnappped the USA Schaublin enthusiasts ..or robbed them of money to buy anything of late ??

Too big for a machine without powerfeed IMHO
Those people who can do without powerfeed prefere the smaller Schaublin 70
And your price is too high for a quick sale Perhaps you can get that price but you have to be patien
Even if you lower the price there is a good chance it takes a while to sell

I have a centre grinder right now Sold the previous 2 within a couple of months
This one I have a couple of years now
I think about raising the price :D

Peter

can't speak for others, but the last two to come up locally were < 2000, and that's dollarettes. They were nice machines well accessorized (not as complete as yours though) on the factory stand and both sat for a while. .Who knows, maybe that was an enigma, but despite what a Swiss dealer might expect, that's the evidence I've seen locally on value. Personally I would discount further if i had to buy sight unseen, but lots don't seem to mind. They are a great machine but there maybe something to the idea people what screw cutting capability at that size.

Too big for a machine without powerfeed IMHO
The most popular non power feed lathe in this country, the Hardinge DV-59 is much larger....not in total dimensions but much larger more cumbersome compound and turret. The DV-59 turret (really DSM-59 when speaking of one with turret) is VERY heavy.... almost impossible for the average person to lift....in contrast the Schaublin turret is light in weight. Same with the compounds.

Well Milacron, if I saw that advertised on eBay UK ... being honest I'd say "Good luck but you're having a laugh" ... I'd expect that to be selling for US$5K max.

It looks well and I'd be a "VERY" proud owner but never at that price here in the UK. Having had 3 102N's I really appreciate the quality of Schaublin BUT not at that price.

Of course the market price here is very different. My Hardinge HLV-H would be at least another US$ 5-6K more on eBay USA!

Just my two cents worth.

John :typing:

can't speak for others, but the last two to come up locally were < 2000, and that's dollarettes. They were nice machines well accessorized (not as complete as yours though) on the factory stand and both sat for a while. .Who knows, maybe that was an enigma, but despite what a Swiss dealer might expect, that's the evidence I've seen locally on value. Personally I would discount further if i had to buy sight unseen, but lots don't seem to mind. They are a great machine but there maybe something to the idea people what screw cutting capability at that size.
Were they 102N models ? I'll bet they were the older 102, which are way more common. Also, did they have variable speed ? More common for them not to have that feature.

Well Milacron, if I saw that advertised on eBay UK ... being honest I'd say "Good luck but you're having a laugh" ... I'd expect that to be selling for US$5K max.
As I'd said many times before, you UK machinists are the biggest cheapskates on the planet when it comes to used manual machine tools. Someone in India or Turkey would give more than you guys ! ;)

But actually my price would not be too far from 5,000 USD if I kept the turret and starwheel tailstock and sold them separate.

>>>hard to put into words that don't sound like a BS sales pitch<<<

time to get the BS rolling!

Seriously, many of us want what we want[EE, SB etc] but many are looking for an end result, and for a high end end result that is not a huge amount of money, so perhaps some sales BS will create a new Shaublin enthusiest

..or robbed them of money to buy anything of late ??

And why should they be any different from the rest of us on THAT score?

Seriously, turmoil and unpredictability in nearby downtown DC has all sorts of folk being more cautious than average, new shoes or microwave ovens to nicer homes.

Is your Schaublin listing simply being 'sideswiped' by a general malaise?

"Timing is everything"

The price is astronomical (not saying it isn't fair, though). Only makes sense to a select few number of people who both fully comprehend the value of the "collection", and have that kind of disposable cash.

She's a beauty though... why are ya selling?

.. why are ya selling?

LOL! ..speaking of those elusive Schaublin 'collectors' are we now?

I thot our leader headed that list, North American Continent..

As with equities vs Gold, when Bernard Baruch switched over, he wasn't financially harmed by the Great Depression.

Some say he caused it!

:)

We use to buy only used machines. Have a shop full of them plus some new $50K - $100K CNC machiones. If I paid $7K for a used machine it was a precison grinder. Most used manual machines I would consider are around $1K. Your audience for something like that is limited.

Athack

Back