What's new
What's new

Any current alternatives to DMG MORI service?

Piper3T

Plastic
So we have an NLX that is down for almost a week because DMG MORI has nobody available to come see it. They've instructed us not to work on it ourselves. But we need to get going. Is there anyone like Ellison or Selway that can help with DMG MORI nowadays? I'm guessing they no longer have current OEM service contracts, but they would probably still have knowledgeable people?

Any alternatives that can help us out would be appreciated. Our maintenance staff is probably going to take a crack at it on its own anyway.

This is in Northern California.

Thanks

Methods Machine Tools - San Francisco might have someone who can help you...it's at least worth a call. They were the only Methods location who were authorized to service any brand of machine when they opened up. But lots of reshuffling in the last year so that may have changed. Beyond that you can call Performance Machine Tools and see if Alex has any interest in working on it.

You can call Ellison and see if they have someone on the side that can look at it. Or can make any recommendations. Can't hurt to try.

Paul

Thanks for the suggestions. We're gonna keep those guys in mind for the future. DMG showed up today, we'll see if they can figure it out. I wont hold my breath though.

There are independents out there and the ones I have used were better than the Mori/Fanuc guys. If you can find one then get them in there. The only problem is that they can't get parts from Mori, I think you can though.

When your machine is down, it's down, and I can understand the OP's frustration.

Yes. I've never seen a MTB fight a customer on warranty issues with them doing their own repairs.*

* Except fucking Haas, who will not warranty any parts unless they install them. Good thing their parts warranty is pathetic anyway.

Is the machine under warranty? If so, then that is why they told you not to touch it, ignoring them could cause a real warranty fight.

The machine is out of warranty. DMG was able to fix the issue for us, although, the root cause seems unclear to us. They said it was a crash, it wasn't a crash. Whatever. This machine is so different from our other tools, maintenance decided to listen to them and not do it ourselves. But in the future, I think we can handle it. The more experience we get with the internals, the more confident we get repairing ourselves, which is normally how we do all our tools.

Back