Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'm starting to think makezee could be helpful but I think some of you should lighten up and take a "let's see" attitude.

I have what are probably 2 simple IT issues. Just not to me.

1. I updated to Windows 10. Before that with a right-hand side click on my mouse could create an ikon of the website I wanted to keep on my opening page. Can't do that any more.
    How do I do that now?

2. Same with inserting a SD card in the slot. Before Windows 10 doing that automatically opened it on my computer.
    Why not now?
    Im not exactly understanding what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to just create a shortcut on your desktop, just open the website, click and drag the address bar (the http:// section) on to the desktop. It will create a shortcut as well as copy the icon (technically the Favicon) from the website.

You second issue sounds like an Autoplay issue.

i can go into detail, but its explained pretty throughly here Set AutoPlay Action For External Drives, SD Cards, And Your iPhone On Windows 1

- Adam

2. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by KeithFoo View Post
    Thank you for the reply. We offer excel files to the world so we can't go to each user pc and change settings. I use Chrome without issue opening the same files, the problem is with IE, maybe other browsers. We are going to add a macro to the excel file to maximize on load.

This could be a great service you're offering to the group. Thanks for that
    Can you link me to the site? or is it a private portal?

-Adam

4. Likes wrecks liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i have a question. why do the IT guys get the heebee geebees when you say unix?

6. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How does Google work ?

8. Likes dkmc liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by makezee View Post
    Can you link me to the site? or is it a private portal?

-Adam
    I'd rather not share that - but I get the same behavior with the files on this page The Spreadsheet Page - John Walkenbach using IE v11

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makezee has proven more resilient and helpful than most of the machine guys who get told off and referred to posting guidelines etc. as new posters. Most of them pack off. I'm impressed. Ask me anything IT related

11. Likes KeithFoo, 3t3d, makezee, wrustle, Greg White and 7 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im not exactly understanding what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to just create a shortcut on your desktop, just open the website, click and drag the address bar (the http:// section) on to the desktop. It will create a shortcut as well as copy the icon (technically the Favicon) from the website.

You second issue sounds like an Autoplay issue.

i can go into detail, but its explained pretty throughly here Set AutoPlay Action For External Drives, SD Cards, And Your iPhone On Windows 1

- Adam
    This is why I often hate IT.

You make #1 seem simple but I can't do what you suggest as I don't know how. I could explain to you what I do re my product and you'd feel as I do now.

Re #2 then I've had Google Chrome and removed it again and went back to plain old Google as I just didn't like it. It seems as if you are suggesting I re-install it again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
    I can answer that one. It's because most 'IT guys' are actually trained as Microsoft Certified something-or-other and have no great depth beyond that. They have no knowledge of unix, by and large. My neighbour is a classic example.

University level people with computer science degrees or similar are very happy, as a rule, with unix operating systems. We prefer to use stuff that actually works (and in a lot of cases, the source code is available).

PDW

14. Likes awake liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cg285 View Post
    No heebees or geebees here. I use Linux (modeled after Unix) and OS X ( based on BSD Unix) every day.

-Adam

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    How does Google work ?

Very well.

-Adam

17. Likes IronReb, dcsipo, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    This is why I often hate IT.

You make #1 seem simple but I can't do what you suggest as I don't know how. I could explain to you what I do re my product and you'd feel as I do now.

Re #2 then I've had Google Chrome and removed it again and went back to plain old Google as I just didn't like it. It seems as if you are suggesting I re-install it again?
    I didn't want to get to far down the rabbit hole, because i wasn't sure what you are asking.

While a nice browser, Google Chrome is not needed for what you are trying to do.

Give this a look. If that is not what you are trying to achieve, let me know and elaborate on it a bit.

3 Ways to Create a Shortcut of a Specific Website to Your Desktop from Internet Explorer 9

-Adam

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    I can answer that one. It's because most 'IT guys' are actually trained as Microsoft Certified something-or-other and have no great depth beyond that. They have no knowledge of unix, by and large. My neighbour is a classic example.

University level people with computer science degrees or similar are very happy, as a rule, with unix operating systems. We prefer to use stuff that actually works (and in a lot of cases, the source code is available).

PDW

I think it tends to be that most IT guys you will find, especially in corporate environments, cut there teeth on Windows in the 90's. Because thats where all the money was, there wasn't any need to learn a damn thing about Apple computers, because they were not much more than toys at the time. Everything between the Apple 2 and the introduction of OS X was pretty much useless. Apache server really only started to take off at the tail end of the 90's so Linux skills weren't entirely desirable.

You see Unix at the Universities because they pay the licensing fees for it, and have since the 70's. Most other places don't, because its simply not worth it. Linux, and the BSD variants do a much better job than pure Unix these days, and of course they are free.

I am most comfortable in OS X and Linux, but all the money is still in the Microsoft environments.

Let us not forget that everyone that uses an iPhone is using a Unix based system, and everyone that is using an Android is using a Linux based system. Very of few of them realize this.

- Adam

20. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think it tends to be that most IT guys you will find, especially in corporate environments, cut there teeth on Windows in the 90's. Because thats where all the money was, there wasn't any need to learn a damn thing about Apple computers, because they were not much more than toys at the time. Everything between the Apple 2 and the introduction of OS X was pretty much useless.
    Ha ha ha. Been saying that myself for years. Had nothing but contempt for Apple operating systems before OS X. Even Windows was better - a very low standard indeed. OS X I quite like, because it works and I can run all my unix based open source tools on it.

Apache server really only started to take off at the tail end of the 90's so Linux skills weren't entirely desirable.

You see Unix at the Universities because they pay the licensing fees for it, and have since the 70's. Most other places don't, because its simply not worth it. Linux, and the BSD variants do a much better job than pure Unix these days, and of course they are free.
    Where I worked, it was big Govt funded R&D organisations. We were largely DEC based until DEC got so greedy with licensing everything. In a very short time indeed we'd either moved to unix (mainly BSD) on the DEC hardware or bought Sun Microsystems hardware. DEC was history. PCs were toys that had promise.

I am most comfortable in OS X and Linux, but all the money is still in the Microsoft environments.

Let us not forget that everyone that uses an iPhone is using a Unix based system, and everyone that is using an Android is using a Linux based system. Very of few of them realize this.

- Adam
    IOS is unix based? News to me. Android, sure. I have an Android phone because I really dislike the walled garden of IOS. OTOH I can't think of anything (other than *truly* obscene amounts of money) that would get me to have a Windows OS on anything I own. Most of my clients do but as I only program in Java these days it's of minimal concern. Besides, I don't need to work anyway.

All my database systems run on some variant of a unix operating system, because I don't want to have to work on the OS. I recently did a decommission and install of a new system purely for preventative reasons. The old system had been up for 6 years straight running a Postgres database in a biochemical genetics lab. That's the soty of uptime I like - but Windows people generally don't believe.

So I guess one other reason Windows IT people don't like unix based systems is, 80% of them would be out of a job as they wouldn't have anything to do.....

PDW

22. Likes awake liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apache server really only started to take off at the tail end of the 90's so Linux skills weren't entirely desirable.
    Don't get the connection, it is not tied and since all of it is in Java they live happily on Windows as well. At least that is how we run most of our Tomcat, Apache, Jboss etc.. environments. Now, making them coexist with IIS is a bit more tricky. Do you have any insight why there are no native implementation of JAI for anything other than x86? That is what keeps me up at night. Or how to configure an F5 load balancer the way i need it. But this helps no one here. So i shut up.

dee
    ;-D

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha ha ha. Been saying that myself for years. Had nothing but contempt for Apple operating systems before OS X. Even Windows was better - a very low standard indeed. OS X I quite like, because it works and I can run all my unix based open source tools on it.
    well sorta kinda, it is stable unill you start running windows VMs on it. The it randomly goes puff.

Where I worked, it was big Govt funded R&D organisations. We were largely DEC based until DEC got so greedy with licensing everything. In a very short time indeed we'd either moved to unix (mainly BSD) on the DEC hardware or bought Sun Microsystems hardware. DEC was history. PCs were toys that had promise.
    OSF1? or VMS?

All my database systems run on some variant of a unix operating system, because I don't want to have to work on the OS. I recently did a decommission and install of a new system purely for preventative reasons. The old system had been up for 6 years straight running a Postgres database in a biochemical genetics lab. That's the soty of uptime I like - but Windows people generally don't believe.

So I guess one other reason Windows IT people don't like unix based systems is, 80% of them would be out of a job as they wouldn't have anything to do.....

PDW
    in the early nineties I had a Sun IPX running the company email and some testing straight for 8 years without reboot. I left the company before it was rebooted.

dee
    ;-D

25. Likes makezee liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ask me anything IT related
    Fantastic....
    Did you know him personally?
    What all can you tell us?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like this thread. The main reason I visit this site is to gain insight from skilled machinists. I don't post much because I normally don't have much to add beyond what the experts have already said. I have a lot of respect for people who know how to do things at a "very high level". There are a lot of regular posters on this site who fit that bill in the machinist realm, and in other realms. Until I read otherwise, I'm putting makezee in the "very high level" category. So far, this guy (or gal?) seems like he/she knows his/her shit.

28. Likes makezee, gusmadison, JoeE., D KIRBY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Fantastic....
    Did you know him personally?
    What all can you tell us?
    Excellent joke, but you have to be really old (like me) to get it.

30. Likes Bobw, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't want to get to far down the rabbit hole, because i wasn't sure what you are asking.

While a nice browser, Google Chrome is not needed for what you are trying to do.

Give this a look. If that is not what you are trying to achieve, let me know and elaborate on it a bit.

3 Ways to Create a Shortcut of a Specific Website to Your Desktop from Internet Explorer 9

-Adam
    Better be careful or you'll end up being "Mr. Popular"

32. Likes makezee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, riddle me this.

At my work, we have an "IT help" portal. I've had problems with it in the past, but the last time, I emailed one of the local IT guys saying I could not get the portal to open. Know what he told me?
    Submit a ticket on the portal
    Is that standard IT level of help, or just where I work?

34. Likes Bobw, Philabuster liked this post