Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post

IOS is unix based? News to me. Android, sure. I have an Android phone because I really dislike the walled garden of IOS. OTOH I can't think of anything (other than *truly* obscene amounts of money) that would get me to have a Windows OS on anything I own. Most of my clients do but as I only program in Java these days it's of minimal concern. Besides, I don't need to work anyway.

All my database systems run on some variant of a unix operating system, because I don't want to have to work on the OS. I recently did a decommission and install of a new system purely for preventative reasons. The old system had been up for 6 years straight running a Postgres database in a biochemical genetics lab. That's the soty of uptime I like - but Windows people generally don't believe.

So I guess one other reason Windows IT people don't like unix based systems is, 80% of them would be out of a job as they wouldn't have anything to do.....

PDW
    Yeah iOS uses XNU , which yes, stand for X is Not Unix, but it's BSD based so it's Unix ha. Far from a pure Unix environment for sure, but it's more of a branch off of OS X than a whole new tree.

Yeah, I've bumped into a few Unix/BSD systems over the years. Just sitting there, chugging away, as they have been for years.

-Adam

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    Don't get the connection, it is not tied and since all of it is in Java they live happily on Windows as well. At least that is how we run most of our Tomcat, Apache, Jboss etc.. environments. Now, making them coexist with IIS is a bit more tricky. Do you have any insight why there are no native implementation of JAI for anything other than x86? That is what keeps me up at night. Or how to configure an F5 load balancer the way i need it. But this helps no one here. So i shut up.

dee
    ;-D

I guess my first question is why bother with IIS at all? A native LAMP stack is generally more desirable than stuffing it into windows.

I think a lot of people these days are just skipping microsoft when it comes to servers of any sort. I know i do. Cant really get away from Active Directory, but web,DB, mail, etc. i just spin up a Linux machine or VM and skip the headaches.

I suppose, the question is, what are you trying to achieve?

What are trying to do with the load balancer?

-Adam

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Ok, riddle me this.

At my work, we have an "IT help" portal. I've had problems with it in the past, but the last time, I emailed one of the local IT guys saying I could not get the portal to open. Know what he told me?
    Submit a ticket on the portal
    Is that standard IT level of help, or just where I work?

IT is more or less a shitshow from an industry perspective. There is next to no adequate training provided anymore. Many companies have slashed budgets and moved to the god awful support ticketing systems. If its a huge company, there is every chance your "help desk" is a loose network of guys in indian sitting in their underwear in there houses. Without going down that rabbit hole, most help desks work on a " if they say this, tell them this" model. It actually discouraged to offer your insight on the issue, because it will conflict with the "policy" in place.

So yes, it is fairly standard, because in many cases they do not know the answers to your questions (call Comcast sometime, they are kings of this awful model.)

My company makes a point of this not being the way Support is done. You call on the phone, you get someone who knows what they are doing, and the call doesn't end until the problem is solved. It's an excellent way to gain and keep clients. No run-around no bullshit. People appreciate that.

SO to answer your question, your support is under qualified, and likely underpaid.

Forgive Support, they know not what they do.

-Adam

4. Likes PDW, Mike1974, JoeE. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You opened up one hell of a can of worms here didn't ya fella!

Welcome to board Adam!

Brent

6. Likes makezee, Screwmachine liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by makezee View Post
    Very well.

-Adam
    I asked you a serious not a funny question, and I expect a serious answer.

If I was in the need of an IT person, YOU would not be a candidate.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is "magic smoke" made of? Any why is it trying to escape from the electronics?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I asked you a serious not a funny question, and I expect a serious answer.

If I was in the need of an IT person, YOU would not be a candidate.
    Ha, what aspect of Google do you want me to explain? Like technically how it works with the spidering and whatnot, or SEO, or Webapps? Ill talk about this crap all day my friend, just point me in the direction you want the noise to come out.

-Adam

10. Likes RC Mech, JoeE., D KIRBY liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dcsipo View Post
    Don't get the connection, it is not tied and since all of it is in Java they live happily on Windows as well. At least that is how we run most of our Tomcat, Apache, Jboss etc.. environments. Now, making them coexist with IIS is a bit more tricky. Do you have any insight why there are no native implementation of JAI for anything other than x86? That is what keeps me up at night. Or how to configure an F5 load balancer the way i need it. But this helps no one here. So i shut up.

dee
    ;-D
    JBoss and Tomcat are Java J2EE servers, but Apache (the software, not the open source organization) is a plain HTTP server which runs natively rather than in a JVM. It was originally developed as a semi-fork of the NCSA HTTP daemon, and if I remember correctly it was quite a while before it was ported to Windows. POSIX-ish environments like Unix and Linux were the native platform originally; as makezee mentioned quite a few IT people got their start in Linux thanks to running Apache.

12. Likes makezee liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rewt View Post
    What is "magic smoke" made of? Any why is it trying to escape from the electronics?

Usually it's binders and insulators that reach point where they can no longer insulate and for brief moments become conductors. Then they can no longer conduct and become the magic smoke you see and smell on those bad days of your life.

As far as why, typically poor engineering or poor manufacturing. Using components that aren't up to snuff, but will last as longs as they need to for the company. You see it often in tuned switching power supplies, where if one component starts to go the whole circuit gets out of sync and all the sudden you are sending 100V into something should only ever see 12V.

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like

First computer I used was in 1990 when i bought a CNC lathe and Pathtrace CAD/CAM. Pathrace was a DOS version and the purveyor provided a 486 33 DX computer set up to communicate with machine and other peripherals, like a printer. I added lotus Works 1.0, Xtree gold and a few other programs. Added another hard drive and installed Windows 3.1 on it so as to be able to access the very primitive internet. Played with some OS from IBM that resembled Windows, OS2??????? Still have that computer running. Use the Lotus Works for payroll.

When Pathtrace switched to Windows I built another computer with NT 4 to run Pathtrace, now called Edgecam. Then Edgecam evolved (devolved, in my opinion) to Windows 2000, I tried to upgrade the computer. Couldn't make the video resolution work beyond the basic 640. Still using this with the last version of Edgecam that will run on NT.

Built another computer, installed W2K and Edgecam. Went thru all the versions until Edgecam went to XP. Borrowed an XP computer and installed Edgecam. Couldn't make it accept the dongle. I couldn't make myself buy an OS that had to be registered and not be able to put it on another computer if need be. Besides, maintenance on Edgecam expired and I was tired of paying 3 grand a year for pretty much the same ol' shit with new lipstick on it.

So been puttering along with the W2K computer for 12-14 years. Built several computers when motherboards died and keep plugging in the old hard drives and roll on. There are a few things internet related that don't play well with W2K. Like Flash movies. Works on YouTube and most places, but there or more and more places where it won't work. Latest annoyance is Firefox. When it starts, it opens the Mozilla site and tells me I need to update my plugins. Only thing is the updates won't install. Something about "not a valid 32 bit file". I hope there is something in the config that I can set to make it stop this.

Been curious about Linux for a long time. Cobbled together a machine last year and downloaded Ubuntu. Got it installed after a number of missteps. Unbelievably slow operation and internet. Would take over 3 minutes to open this site. Could never make the sound work. Finally gave up and wiped hard drive. Bit the bullet and bought Win 7. Installed it and went thru a lot of gyrations to get it registered. Can't make sound work. The file system is so different from W2K and XP I can't find anything. Internet is slower than the W2K machine. Could be because of 25 foot cable to router. Installed the newest version of Edgecam that I have and Win7 doesn't recognize the dongle.

Would love to get away from Windows completely, but until I can find something that will let me run Edgecam, I'm screwed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

YES; it REALLY is that simple.
    And NO, You cannot, anymore, share your C drive root, simply and easily and reliably.
    There are many, many, many reasons for this.

And it depends on the versions of each windows trying to do this, and the networking setup, and the service packs, and many, many combinations of things on Windoze.

For example(s);
    Now, 10/2016; on win 8.1 and windows 2012 server, the name of the originator who tries to connect is encrypted by default.
    This changed a few months ago.

It was never documented, S.O.P. for MS.

Depending on both ends, sometimes your clients can and cannot connect, and the error messages are garbage ie not related to the real root cause.
    "Access denied" is one example, and has nothing to do with "access rights" (or domain settings, domain controller settings or networking specific user profile rights in the domain controller, IF that is the one doing the sharing).
    (Many combos of errors on this..)

Example(n):
    With Windows 7.x MS changed the ports used for MS networking, present and fixed since DOS 3.11 as MS-NET, on the extra packages distributed with DOS (free) but usually never installed, including support for MS-NET (aka Microsoft networking) and other protocols like IPX/SPX (Novell NetWare) and TCP/IP (rare at the time).

These, the ports, have been further tinkered with, since.
    In many ways, maybe 5-10 that I recall, and probably a lot more.

So, Yes..
    I can share a C-drive between any 2 or 3 systems with various ways not recommended by Microsoft, but You probably cannot and You probably should not.
    There are, mostly, security issues.
    And there are n (ie enormous) combos of issues when You go changing in major ways how systems work by default.

And, often, it IS a good idea to do so, but You should be really, really, experienced with combos in large-scale networking before recommending same, like million plus hours of user-experience, and support costs/issues of same in critical operational networks.
    I used to do about 312.000 hours per day of user-experience, so .. my basis is on minimizing costs ie issues.

The cheap easy way is to buy a new network drive with ethernet, and hook it up to your LAN.
    Do not use USB ..
    because only the ethernet-devices are somewhat well built in sw terms (not really well, but do work, so that´s the easy choice).

If You would really want me to make it work for You, as-is, where-is, Russ, I can/could probably do so, via remote access sw of Your choice.
    I use TeamViewer myself, and would recommend it.
    I would never recommend RD for example (Remote Desktop) although it can be used.
    Free, just because I enjoy Your posts/stories and have learned a lot from You over the years..
    It might take minutes, and it might take hours (unlikely imo).
    Probability of it working is 99.x% ++.

But the better choice is to buy a 1-2 TB LAN drive from Your nearest PC store, so that You don´t depend on others.

Actual fixes cannot be detailed in a post, it is far too complex a field.

Quote Originally Posted by wrustle View Post
    What is the best way to network 3 other computers in the shop to work in the same folder on the "C" drive off the computer in my office?

In any event, it was recommend to me (by a "bar stool" computer guy) to hook up a hard drive to the wireless router and use it as a central drive. It can be password protected as well.

Is it really that simple?

Later,
    Russ

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Ok, riddle me this.

At my work, we have an "IT help" portal. I've had problems with it in the past, but the last time, I emailed one of the local IT guys saying I could not get the portal to open. Know what he told me?
    Submit a ticket on the portal
    Is that standard IT level of help, or just where I work?
    We have a weekly Q&A telecon with tech support and other remote locations where I work. We never know what the response will be to a question, but I've noticed a trend of answers that are frequently used. I developed a bingo card that randomly puts common responses in the boxes and we quietly play bingo during the calls with prizes awarded to winner. Most common responses from tech support: put in a ticket, sme not on call, great question, please repeat question, soon, at a later date, garbled answer, provided answer, etc.

17. Likes makezee, Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Now, 10/2016; on win 8.1 and windows 2012 server, the name of the originator who tries to connect is encrypted by default.
    This changed a few months ago.
    Have you tried changing the encryption type on the file server? Windows 7-10 will force 128-bit encryption which will break some connections from older devices, but you can easily drop it back down to legacy encryption.

How to Change File Sharing Encryption Settings in Windows 1? | MWH

As far his issue goes, there are thousand ways to skin that cat. I think your suggestion of using a NAS is a good fit for what they seemingly do there. My only caution with a NAS is people forget they are a computer, they stick it in a closet, put it on the network and forget it until it breaks. Spend the extra money and get a RAID NAS, so when one of the drives fails it will start making noise and you will have an opportunity to save your data.

-Adam

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=alphonso;2854891]Been curious about Linux for a long time. Cobbled together a machine last year and downloaded Ubuntu. Got it installed after a number of missteps. Unbelievably slow operation and internet. Would take over 3 minutes to open this site. Could never make the sound work. Finally gave up and wiped hard drive. Bit the bullet and bought Win 7. Installed it and went thru a lot of gyrations to get it registered. Can't make sound work. The file system is so different from W2K and XP I can't find anything. Internet is slower than the W2K machine. Could be because of 25 foot cable to router. Installed the newest version of Edgecam that I have and Win7 doesn't recognize the dongle. /QUOTE]

It's pretty rare that you are going to find commercially viable CAD/CAM software on Linux. Linux is amazing for infrastructure, but its not quite to the point where companies are willing to spend the time and money in developing full software packages, even less so in this industry. It gets better every day, but its going to be a long time.

Ubuntu Desktop is pretty good anymore, but there are often issues like to describe. Usually fixable, but rarely a point and click solution.

As far as internet issues go, yeah thats only going to get worse. Most sites are dropping the SSL types that older browsers use, and moving to more modern, more secure versions. The older browsers simply have no idea what they are being given and usually choke right there.

That cable length shouldn't be an issue. The cable itself could be an issue, but unlikely.

Is it a USB dongle or an old serial or parallel dongle?

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I want to collect one of the $150,000 checks for the new "Hack the Pentagon" program.
    Any tips?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I want to collect one of the $150,000 checks for the new "Hack the Pentagon" program.
    Any tips?
    those that don't win a check go to federal prison

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Any tips?
    I would focus on taking down infrastructure rather than trying to get into the CJCS's nudies. Security will be strong in the places people expect attacks, and weak where they do not.

Though it looks like that program has ended from I'm seeing.

-Adam

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=makezee;2854925]
    Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post
    Been curious about Linux for a long time. Cobbled together a machine last year and downloaded Ubuntu. Got it installed after a number of missteps. Unbelievably slow operation and internet. Would take over 3 minutes to open this site. Could never make the sound work. Finally gave up and wiped hard drive. Bit the bullet and bought Win 7. Installed it and went thru a lot of gyrations to get it registered. Can't make sound work. The file system is so different from W2K and XP I can't find anything. Internet is slower than the W2K machine. Could be because of 25 foot cable to router. Installed the newest version of Edgecam that I have and Win7 doesn't recognize the dongle. /QUOTE]

It's pretty rare that you are going to find commercially viable CAD/CAM software on Linux. Linux is amazing for infrastructure, but its not quite to the point where companies are willing to spend the time and money in developing full software packages, even less so in this industry. It gets better every day, but its going to be a long time.

Ubuntu Desktop is pretty good anymore, but there are often issues like to describe. Usually fixable, but rarely a point and click solution.

As far as internet issues go, yeah thats only going to get worse. Most sites are dropping the SSL types that older browsers use, and moving to more modern, more secure versions. The older browsers simply have no idea what they are being given and usually choke right there.

That cable length shouldn't be an issue. The cable itself could be an issue, but unlikely.

Is it a USB dongle or an old serial or parallel dongle?

-Adam
    Parallel port dongle. I think the current version dongles are USB. Not going to spend $thousands to get one. Another thing about Pathtrace/Edgecam: in the DOS days there was a Unix version available. I guess it went away when they went to Windows.

The cable was brand new. Could be bad from factory.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=alphonso;2855025]
    Quote Originally Posted by makezee View Post

Parallel port dongle. I think the current version dongles are USB. Not going to spend $thousands to get one. Another thing about Pathtrace/Edgecam: in the DOS days there was a Unix version available. I guess it went away when they went to Windows.

The cable was brand new. Could be bad from factory.
    What we generally do with the Parallel port dongles, since parallel ports are going the way of the dodo, is to use an emulator.

Basically you extract the code from inside that dongle, its basically just memory chip, and run that code in one of the available software emulators. It's just a piece of software that runs on the computer to replace the physical dongle.

It's perfectly legal as long as you don't share your codes or use beyond your concurrent license agreement. that being said, it is purely on the honor system.

It's not exactly trivial to do, but its completely doable and saves several thousand dollars in most cases.

- Adam

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=makezee;2855029]
    Quote Originally Posted by alphonso View Post

What we generally do with the Parallel port dongles, since parallel ports are going the way of the dodo, is to use an emulator.

Basically you extract the code from inside that dongle, its basically just memory chip, and run that code in one of the available software emulators. It's just a piece of software that runs on the computer to replace the physical dongle.

It's perfectly legal as long as you don't share your codes or use beyond your concurrent license agreement. that being said, it is purely on the honor system.

It's not exactly trivial to do, but its completely doable and saves several thousand dollars in most cases.

- Adam
    10 characters. PM sent.