What's new
What's new

Basic Windows Computer Training for Employees--How?

munruh

Hot Rolled
I have a couple of employees that I want to keep around. They lack basic computer skills. How to move files between folders, files to USB, modify printing labels in MS Word, etc. Are there some kind of Windows computer basics I could have them take? I have used ToolingU successfully for shop training, but they don't offer anything for computer basics.

I have a couple of employees that I want to keep around. They lack basic computer skills. How to move files between folders, files to USB, modify printing labels in MS Word, etc. Are there some kind of Windows computer basics I could have them take? I have used ToolingU successfully for shop training, but they don't offer anything for computer basics.

Windows for Dummies books are actually not bad to learn from. they repeat stuff for those who just want to learn to do something without having to read the whole book 3 times.
that and a little one on one training at times. many get stuck easy and a minute to show them something can really speed things up

Treat the computer like any other machine in the facility. Decide what you want them use it for and teach them to do those things. If you try to tech them everything they will retain next to nothing. If you can boil it down to a few processes or procedures they do on a daily basis, it should stick much easier.

If you don't have the patience (pure speculation) to teach, call the local college and see if a student wants to spend 3 days at your facility teaching things they learned when they were 6 to people. Im sure there will be no shortage of people willing to do it for internship hours.

-Adam

There are training cds out there. The advantage to them is that you learn by doing with visual and vocal prompts. I learned excel from one years ago. It had you learn each task by actually doing it then quizzing afterwards. I think the info sticks better that way.

JR

Have a "bring your kids into work day" and have the kids show their parents what they need to know.

Back