What's new
What's new

Best Insurance for Fabrication Labs / Maker Spaces?

thinktankgroup

Plastic
Hi there!

As mentioned before in other threads, we're in the middle of opening a one-of-a-kind Fab Lab / Innovation space, which will include everything from our 7-Axis KUKA robot to laser cutters to a metal and wood shop to print shops and more.

Obviously opening this kind of space with this kind of machinery requires specific insurance.

I was wondering if anyone had any insights on the best kind of insurance to have for Fab Labs / Maker Spaces / Innovation Labs? Is there any kind of specialized insurance that we should be sure to have? What kind of insurance would you make sure you had if you were opening a space like ours?

Any insights or advice would be much appreciated!

thinktankgroup wrote: "As mentioned before in other threads, we're in the middle of opening a one-of-a-kind Fab Lab / Innovation space, which will include everything from our 7-Axis KUKA robot to laser cutters to a metal and wood shop to print shops and more."

There's a makerspace here in Columbus that's been around for maybe 6 years or so that's pretty much like your one-of-a-kind space up in MI (minus the print shop). Contact Alex at the Columbus Idea Foundry and he'll likely share some details with you. In the meantime, documentation and training/use policies would be top of the list...

Chip

thinktankgroup wrote: "As mentioned before in other threads, we're in the middle of opening a one-of-a-kind Fab Lab / Innovation space, which will include everything from our 7-Axis KUKA robot to laser cutters to a metal and wood shop to print shops and more."

There's a makerspace here in Columbus that's been around for maybe 6 years or so that's pretty much like your one-of-a-kind space up in MI (minus the print shop). Contact Alex at the Columbus Idea Foundry and he'll likely share some details with you. In the meantime, documentation and training/use policies would be top of the list...

Chip

Thanks for the great tip! I will definitely reach out to Alex and see if I can pick his brain on some Fab Lab insurance questions. Thanks again for the response.

Back