Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the best. Fortune favours the bold.

2. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After my previous post I got to thinking about what it takes to do business around here. How about 6 YEARS to get approval by zoning to remodel and add a double drive thru in place of the single drive thru at the local McDonalds. The issue was the need to pave about 6' of a green space! They just built a new autoparts store across the street from another one. First one sits at the back of the lot with a glass front on the building and the parking in front, you know, the normal way. Zoning made the new store sit right to the front of the lot with the glass "front" to the side and the lot there as well. Big old brick building, you would never know what it is unless you came down the street from the north. A friend of mine builds truck terminals for a company that hauls mail, he has built dozens of them coast to coast. They buy land and a building to renovate or demolish and start over. Always in a depressed area, anything they do is a big improvement. They have been trying to do a project in Oakland Ca. They found a piece of property that was a scrap yard a real shithole in a crappy part of town. They want to spend about 5 million cleaning it up and building a truck service garage. They will hire 10-12 people to work there. They have been working on permits for 2 YEARS now with no end in sight. Think about what the gubbment does to hurt the economy. It is really amazing anything gets done at all

4. Likes Dan from Oakland, Adwcali, david n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A lot of zoning problems are caused by not paying off the right people.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    A lot of zoning problems are caused by not paying off the right people.
    Sometimes you have to wait for the right person to retire or die.

7. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you tried to pay off the right people in Southern Washington State where Motion is building, you would pretty quickly find yourself in a nice new state run housing facility, with small rooms with bars on the doors and very friendly roommates. Unless you are Boeing, in which case you actually call it "lobbying". Business is good in Washington, money is being made, and taxpayers are demanding a lot of that red tape. You gotta pay to play.
    I think he will do just fine, and the upfront costs will be amortized over decades, and the space will be much more productive, and, hence, the company more profitable.
    He is doing it right, and it will pay off in the end.
    It will also make it a lot easier to sell, should he ever need to, and resale on a 50,000 sq ft building depends on the "i"s being dotted correctly. If and when another company ponies up several million for this building in the future, it will be dependent on the work he has done this year.

9. Likes Garwood, motion guru, Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Motion, I wish you continued success.

I don't know about others, but I really enjoy the behind the scenes look on growing a business like yours. It would be nice if more people in positions like yours shared how they got there and where they are going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ries raises a very key point - on the whole, most of these land use restrictions are the result of political pressure from the neighboring people/businesses and the like. Yes, there is "brigandry" in government, always has been. But the neighbors really really liking the lot being vacant of competition or even crowding neighbors is part of it.

Motion - "go big or go home" - you are not ready to "go home yet" so it is good you are "going big".

12. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm surprised you were allowed to run your brush hog on the property.

Without at least qty (3) permits, and a your butt being licensed
    to properly operate said machine.....

14. Likes motion guru, TDegenhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Frankly, if you got constipated and had to go to the hospital to get the shit flowing again, I wouldn't be surprised if they found that you had a chunk of gold that got hung up. You are one of those people that evaluates their moves in such a way that even when things go awry, you still win.

It's impressive and you have clearly worked to get to where you are. I'm happy to see you growing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes motion guru, Mike1974 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I'm surprised you were allowed to run your brush hog on the property.

Without at least qty (3) permits, and a your butt being licensed
    to properly operate said machine.....
    I have to admit, I did it on Saturday just so I would have fewer lookyloos, I was in and out in less than 2 hours.
    Last edited by motion guru; 01-21-2018 at 09:29 PM.

18. Likes digger doug, bebop, Adwcali, mountie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    If you tried to pay off the right people in Southern Washington State where Motion is building, you would pretty quickly find yourself in a nice new state run housing facility, with small rooms with bars on the doors and very friendly roommates. Unless you are Boeing, in which case you actually call it "lobbying". Business is good in Washington, money is being made, and taxpayers are demanding a lot of that red tape. You gotta pay to play.
    I think he will do just fine, and the upfront costs will be amortized over decades, and the space will be much more productive, and, hence, the company more profitable.
    He is doing it right, and it will pay off in the end.
    It will also make it a lot easier to sell, should he ever need to, and resale on a 50,000 sq ft building depends on the "i"s being dotted correctly. If and when another company ponies up several million for this building in the future, it will be dependent on the work he has done this year.
    When I was looking for a shop in town I was told by a real estate salesman that there is a guy I could "hire" and he can "take care of" zoning and use issues.

20. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Moonlight- not to derail Motion's thread, but most of Oakland is a shithole and crappy. Most all the gov here is totally dysfunctional and incompetent, the city is filthy, graffiti everywhere, streets are a mess, crime is out of control and now its legal to smoke dope and drive! Nuf said. Too bad, it used to be a great city. Back to our regularly scheduled programming . . . .

22. Likes Adwcali, SND, digger doug, bridgedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan from Oakland View Post
    Moonlight- not to derail Motion's thread, but most of Oakland is a shithole and crappy. Most all the gov here is totally dysfunctional and incompetent, the city is filthy, graffiti everywhere, streets are a mess, crime is out of control and now its legal to smoke dope and drive! Nuf said. Too bad, it used to be a great city. Back to our regularly scheduled programming . . . .
    That can be said about most densely populated areas in California. I lived in Riverside for 15 years the area I lived in turned into a toxic waste dump and landfill. Red tape and high disposal fees caused people to just dump it in vacate lots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Warms a guy's heart to see good folks succeeding. Hard work, determination, faith are traits of our "Guru" here and are qualities he can teach and pass on to his employees and community. Keep it up, man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    When I was looking for a shop in town I was told by a real estate salesman that there is a guy I could "hire" and he can "take care of" zoning and use issues.
    It sounds exactly like what Motion did. The "guys" he hired "took care of" zoning and land use issues. And it only cost him $600K.

On a much, much smaller scale I did the same thing myself in upgrading two rental houses. You hire pros who understand the process.
    Pay what seems like exorbitant fees, but you sleep better knowing everything is legal and done correctly. I mean, who would have thought it'd cost me a thousand bucks to do the required arborist's evaluation of my house addition effect on an "exceptional" tree in my adjoining neighbor's backyard.

26. Likes motion guru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man am I ever glad to hear of your success MG! May God Bless you and prosper you in all that you do!

28. Likes motion guru, Jashley73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it makes you feel any better the City where I am wanted $400k in impact fees before we could build a 25k concrete tilt up on a plot of land between 2 other manufacturing companies and 1/4 mile away from my current location....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make the roof structure strong enough for a Heli-pad.

31. Likes Oldwrench, Joe Miranda liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I have to admit, I did it on Saturday just so I would have fewer lookyloos, I was in and out in less than 2 hours."

Yep less clipboard wavers for a start.

Example: When I get the odd CBD job, its start pre-dawn and get outta there before the assorted nosey parkers and the govt types have even poured milk on their Cornflakes!

Yeah good to see some progress fotos on your setup.

Currently its service location time on my little job. Hoping its not gunna take the same amount of time (and cash) to my current project finished. Experience has taught me not to hold my breath tho.

Many folks in my neck of the woods wonder why its gotten so pricey to buy/rent anything (res or commercial). Maybe if they actually got off their freckle and did the hard yards to bring any project to move in stage, they might change their tune.

You learn real fast that it bleeds cash, and cost you more than you think. Kind of makes me wonder sometimes how anything still gets built.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Business Expansion Plans - am I crazy?

It's sad to read about a growing company and how the government bureaucracy is fighting attempted progress every step of the way.

"Anti-business" policies like this is why manufacturing has been drifting to the south, as us hillbillies actually appreciate the jobs and increased economic activity.

Too many populated areas are just too big for their britches - and it's mainly because of the local and state governments and their arrogance and ego.

Ultimately high costs and these kinds of anti-business policies will force more and more companies to locate elsewhere...look what's happened to manufacturing in the Northeast over the last couple of decades.

Anyway, congrats Motion, keep up the good work!
    Last edited by cnctoolcat; 02-18-2018 at 06:41 PM.

34. Likes SND, Jashley73, Garwood liked this post