What's new
What's new

Career Advice

cd76

Plastic
I have a bit of a career dilemma. Being owners and managers perhaps some of you could advise me. I went to visit coworkers at a job I left two years ago. The owner asked if I would come back so I said make me an offer. I believe he will offer more on the hour but virtually no overtime. Where I am now I work a ton of overtime, essentially making time and a half all year. The o.t. could go away of course. I like both jobs and all the coworkers. The current job is production whereas the former is a more "real machinist" job. Health insurance is negligible with considerably better retirement at current job. I believe both jobs are stable but if I leave the current job, I don't know if I could get back on if something happens. Sorry for the essay but I just don't know what to do. Any input is appreciated.

I have a bit of a career dilemma. Being owners and managers perhaps some of you could advise me. I went to visit coworkers at a job I left two years ago. The owner asked if I would come back so I said make me an offer. I believe he will offer more on the hour but virtually no overtime. Where I am now I work a ton of overtime, essentially making time and a half all year. The o.t. could go away of course. I like both jobs and all the coworkers. The current job is production whereas the former is a more "real machinist" job. Health insurance is negligible with considerably better retirement at current job. I believe both jobs are stable but if I leave the current job, I don't know if I could get back on if something happens. Sorry for the essay but I just don't know what to do. Any input is appreciated.

Probably all advice you get will be conflicting. Still IMO OT isn't something to base your income or living standard on.

Go with your gut feeling or "hunch" if you prefer. Mine is right more often than not.

You are thinking of leaving a job to make less money and poorer retirement benefits with nothing substantial in the "positives" column. Quite the conundrum.

First thought is just a bit of advise, learn not depend on your overtime, live within your forty hours of pay. I have seen many people get in financial trouble when OT dries up, budget like you expect to lose it.

A job is so much more than an hourly wage, you need to look at the big picture. Decide which company will give you the best chance for long term employment, the best benefit package, the best chance for career advancement and the best working environment. That is something only you can decide OP, it all depends on your long term goals, or sometimes short term goals.

Which job will improve your skills more? If the current job works a ton of OT but is less skilled I would consider the other job. I would look also at which job is less stressful. The production job sounds like loading and unloading parts all day vs the real machinist job would learn more which will help you find a better job in the future based on learning more. As a person who has interviewed people that ran one machine for 20-30 years they are come into my place skilled at one thing and one thing only, when their machine was replaced they were replaced also and their skills were real limited.

I agree with Cross Hair.

I'm an owner, and I sure never wanted to work overtime and never expected my men (when I had a few) to postpone their personal lives either. There is something 'not right' about working OT all the time, and there should be an end to it in sight. Rein in the greed (yours, or your boss's) or get burnt out.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I really value and respect the opinions of fellow machinists. I feel like if I give notice my employer will match and probably beat the offer. As owners do you hold a "grudge" against employees who leverage you, so to speak. That is not my intention to just try and get a raise. I didn't mention that now I am one of about forty machinists. If I went back to my old job I would be the only machinist. Thanks again.

What are your job responsibilities at your current job? You're basically an operator? Or you figure out how to make parts fast and inexpensive? Or something inbetween?

In my opinion, production is the most fun and has the most potential to maximize your income as long as you're the guy that's responsible for figuring the whole show.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I really value and respect the opinions of fellow machinists. I feel like if I give notice my employer will match and probably beat the offer. As owners do you hold a "grudge" against employees who leverage you, so to speak. That is not my intention to just try and get a raise. I didn't mention that now I am one of about forty machinists. If I went back to my old job I would be the only machinist. Thanks again.

Eons ago as an employee, I would never accept a counteroffer from my current employer once I had accepted a new position.
1. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth of the employer you accepted the new position with & you most likely burn a bridge.
2. I always figured that if it took me leaving to get a raise, it was not worth staying. I always figured I wanted raises based on merit, not fear on the part of my employer.

As an employer I would never make a counter offer. I might make an offer to a former employee down the road, but never when they resign.
1. I am not going to be bent over a barrel by an employee. If they figure that tactic works once, they will most likely do it (or threaten it) again.
2. As above, I give my guys raises based on merit, not fear of losing them.

A side note. I've noticed in several posts that to many OT seems to be popular because of the extra income. If a person has a decent wage then OT should only be when a shop or company has run into problems.

Very few here even get paid overtime as they are expected to take time off instead. What is it that makes some Americans seem to want to spend as little time as possible with their families?

On holiday: Countries with the most vacation days

Americans Work 25% More Than Europeans, Study Finds - Bloomberg

World's Most Paid Vacation Days: Europe Guarantees Most Paid Leave For Workers | The Huffington Post

when I was younger there were situations of time where I didn't have much of a social life and the area I was in had weather that SUCKED for months. So I would have loved to work as much overtime as I could to keep busy and make money (at the same time probably get more experience). Once I had a social life and other obligations then the time spent at work or in some cases getting to work (think traffic) was more of a consideration.

So do you have a social life right now? Maybe you need money to establish certain things to then be in a position to have a possible social life? If you have a social life then maybe stay put and ask for a possibility of a raise? Make sure you do everything you can to deserve one.

IMHO you need to look at your life outside work and were its going, don't forget you have a job to live well, not have a job to work well!!!!

Saveing for a house? Trying to get setup to start a family? Over time more moneys good.

Got a family? Got the personal finances in control? You don't need the OT!!! You need the time with the family!!

Other option, if the old job matches the money of the OT total of the last job, your still free to get some work else were with the spare time you then have.

Some places do hold grudges, some don't, often times in situations like this in life there is no right answer, just a pair of options to chose from that are too damn near equall to make it easy.

Give them 40hrs and value your time off........I personally believe you either move up in a company or go into business....never go back to any previous employer......

You asked if an owner would hold a grudge.....I'm an owner and my philosophy focuses on structure and consistency in the shop. When an employee leaves it's for a reason, something about our business isn't making them happy, the dynamics of our business evolve but don't necessarily change much, I figure if an employee wasn't happy then they wont be happy if they back. I don't need a revolving door of employees, I rarely consider rehiring an employee, it's not out of malaise, it's just trying to keep our business running smoothly. But that's just me, there are many many variables, and there are exceptions.

OP I think you would be making a mistake if your thinking is go back to my old job and if it doesn't work out try to come back to your current job. The only reason you should change jobs is if it is a positive advancement toward your future goals, why would you want to step back to where you were last year?

When I was employed (have my own now) I changed jobs now and then. Always for something better and never looked back.

Of course money is important but if that is ever the only reason then it'll NEVER be enough.

When employed in Denmark everyone has health care, paid minimum 5 week vacation etc., etc. so we don't have to give much thought to changing jobs. Either it's a step up or it isn't.

You've heard the grass isn't always greener? In the area I live in, I don't know of a place that pays machinists better than these two. We have a snap-on and kennametal here but either of those would probably be a double digit pay cut. It could be that the production is just not stimulating enough to hold my interest. I had not worked production for about 15 years when I took this job. I mean I don't mind it but 800 hrs o.t. maybe has burnt me out. I was satisfied til this offer came up and got my mental gears turning.

.................. I believe he will offer more on the hour but virtually no overtime. .....................

Seems to me that you are getting a little ahead of yourself. Your "belief" may turn out to be $.25 an hour more than you are making now, in which case it doesn't sound like a very good deal financially. Personally I'd look at the issue raised by some of the others, will that job give you a broad range of skills that can help your career down the road?

Another thing to consider, I hate to be such a Johnny Raincloud but for the last 50 years this country has recessions about every 8 years, the last one being 8 years ago. Which job will it be more likely for you to remain employed WHEN the next recession hits?

Steve

I believe he will offer more on the hour

Many, many, many years ago I believed in Santa and the Tooth Fairy.

Just wondering too how many machinists in the USA have a written contract with their employer? Here it isn't just standard procedure, it's also the law.

I'm not an OT fan, myself. I know it's sort of beating a dead horse at this point - which to me is a good sign - but I would take the job with less OT. I say that regardless of whether the offer is for a higher wage or not...

If you have to work more than 40 hours a week to at least stay in the black, either reduce your personal operating costs, earn yourself a raise that will cover your costs, or choose another line of work that can provide for whatever level of lavishness you desire...

I work with a man, who I respect very highly. This man, in his mid 50s, has and seems to love when a string of 10+hr shifts come down the pipeline for him. He loves the money, even being one of the highest-paid folks in the shop... I can't help but think about his little daughter, not getting to see her daddy much at all except on the weekends. ...Sometimes.

Well, look at that, talk about a tangent. That might even be a cosecant.

I say all this, but, your finances are your own business, of course.

If the finances of the situation are decided or you value money over your own time, then look hard at which job offers more to you from a skill standpoint. If you could advance further and learn more at job A, that should, in theory, serve to garner you more cash in the future.

Back