What's new
What's new

Checked out the NLX2500/700 machine, holy smokes!

gixxergary

Aluminum
I just finished checking out both the machines we are considering to purchase. A mazak Nexus 250II smy and the Mori NLX 2500/700 sy. First, I only own Haas machines, so when I checked out the mazak, I could say to myself, that is a much much better built machine. Ways are a little bigger, rollers of course, casting is more beefy, nice control, but thought it was a bit tight inside. Workable definitely, but tight. Well, just got back from a trip to DMG Mori. Wow, that looks to be one tough SOB. After looking behind the covers, I couldn't help but think, holy crap is this thing stout. Huge box ways, massive integral motor, huge spindle casting, and the turret is fantastic. I dont think we would have ANY clearance issues in this machine what so ever. I was impressed. Fanuc based mitsubishi control, so our typical g code guys could transition easily. Capps looked ok, and I see it could be usable to train non g code employees. ( which is where we are going ). 3.187 bar capacity!!!!!!!!!!! NICE.

I know a few had said Mori is not the same machine it used to be, all I can say is, holy chit, what were they before!!!!!! I did see a lot of way oil being used. The control also seems a little low for comfort. And, their new control, which is really awsome, isnt due to be out for a few, and there is no way I could get one this year.

I like my haas machines, they flat out put money in my pockets. BUT, when it comes to the live tools and sub spindle, there is no way, they could hang with this machine. Worth 90k more??? In my opinion, absolutely. Time to talk pricing!!!

I am looking at the Mazak 250msy also, it was only about 35k more than the Haas quote I got for a similar (well, as close as I could get) DT.
My local Mazak has some serious deals going right now to clear old inventory.

I just finished checking out both the machines we are considering to purchase. A mazak Nexus 250II smy and the Mori NLX 2500/700 sy. First, I only own Haas machines, so when I checked out the mazak, I could say to myself, that is a much much better built machine. Ways are a little bigger, rollers of course, casting is more beefy, nice control, but thought it was a bit tight inside. Workable definitely, but tight. Well, just got back from a trip to DMG Mori. Wow, that looks to be one tough SOB. After looking behind the covers, I couldn't help but think, holy crap is this thing stout. Huge box ways, massive integral motor, huge spindle casting, and the turret is fantastic. I dont think we would have ANY clearance issues in this machine what so ever. I was impressed. Fanuc based mitsubishi control, so our typical g code guys could transition easily. Capps looked ok, and I see it could be usable to train non g code employees. ( which is where we are going ). 3.187 bar capacity!!!!!!!!!!! NICE.

I know a few had said Mori is not the same machine it used to be, all I can say is, holy chit, what were they before!!!!!! I did see a lot of way oil being used. The control also seems a little low for comfort. And, their new control, which is really awsome, isnt due to be out for a few, and there is no way I could get one this year.

I like my haas machines, they flat out put money in my pockets. BUT, when it comes to the live tools and sub spindle, there is no way, they could hang with this machine. Worth 90k more??? In my opinion, absolutely. Time to talk pricing!!!

I thought the same way about the way oil, but i guess better to be safe than sorry in lubrication.

what I am wondering is how long can you wait till you need to make a purchase, because that new control allows alot more in connectivity as well as making it more "oopsie" protected from operators/setup guys but limiting the buttons you can push as you work your way down the sub menus. I can see that being a real advantage when it comes to bringing noobs up to speed with the control and programming/setups.

did you get to see how fast the rapids were? i think it took a month for me to get over the "pucker factor" during setups, haha.

since you are looking at subspindle as well, keep in mind you will want to shop around for either the sandvik long reach blade holder, or something similar. Sandvik doesn't keep it in stock very often, so we went with the one from Indexing Technologies, and it was 50 bucks cheaper and on the shelf in germany, so 1 week lead time compared to sandvik's 8 week lead time. I didn't continue on searching when i found the indexing technologies version. Also, i found alot of vibration is reduced when i jumped from the .115" thick blade holder to the .16". Night and day difference.... just food for thought...

one more thing.... we did cut corners on our live tooling needs. instead of ordering live tools with thru coolant, we went to the RE Cool system by regofix. we had to use wto holders for the re cool systems since the er-32 nut had to be external to use re cool and von ruden did away with those, but that allowed us to not worry about the coolant properties as much as we would have to with thru coolant live holders since the coolant lubricates those bearings. it saved us over 1000 per live tool holder. The wto holders and the von ruden holders are very very stout, and 10k rpm rated :).

one more thing with the mori and live tooling, they suggest not to change the tooling in the live tool holders while in the machine due to the inner track inside the turret that keeps the tangs inline with the motor. doing so could crack the track. we make a tooling block holder that mates up to our live tooling holders on the bench to do all of the tooling changes outside of the machine.

Get the metal shrouds with the extra room for longer live tooling. Extra memory also is sexy. Those extras costs a bit but are worth it. Sexy machine.

We have recently started using a 3/8 impact to doo most of our live tool changes - on heads that don't have stop blocks. So it should not hurt the blocks. It's nothing like taking a full trq turn with a wrench.

The amount of time that it has saved!!!

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

We have a couple of NL's......we use stacked tooling, doubles etc. It took a while to get used to that. Also when using a stacked turn tool obviously you have to offset the y axis appropriately for each tool. The "window" for y axis movement gets larger the further away from home you get in the x axis. Therefore we have to move to a specified spot in x.....then to our y position , then to the x position for starting the cut. There are other ways......this just seemed more crash proof for our parts that run in that machine. This is the only machine like it that I have programmed so i am not sure if this is common amongst machine builders.

We have a couple of NL's......we use stacked tooling, doubles etc. It took a while to get used to that. Also when using a stacked turn tool obviously you have to offset the y axis appropriately for each tool. The "window" for y axis movement gets larger the further away from home you get in the x axis. Therefore we have to move to a specified spot in x.....then to our y position , then to the x position for starting the cut. There are other ways......this just seemed more crash proof for our parts that run in that machine. This is the only machine like it that I have programmed so i am not sure if this is common amongst machine builders.

Is this a wedge machine?

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Why couldn't you just rapid to an X/Y position at the same time? Especially if you have the parameters set so it will vector to position, instead of each axis moving at full rapid independtly...? There must be a reason why not. (I've never had the pleasure of running a Y-axis lathe...)

Nlx2500sy/700

Our shop bought one brand spanking new in January 2014 and, other than an o-ring in the turret coolant flow system, we've not had a moment of trouble with it. The machine has already paid for itself twice over, and that is pretty much just running one shift.

Nothing against Haas and some of the lighter made, and WAY less expensive, machines like Hurco, etc. They have their place and can make you a bunch of money. But DMG Mori are tough! And yes, you ought to see the old Mori stuff! We still have an MV-55 VMC that is built like Atlas and as accurate as it was when bought in the early 90's.

No clue why you topped this thread, but since you did, it's obvious that Gixx didn't "update us in a year".

Gixx?

--------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

While on these NLX's lately... anyone have a rough $ estimate as to what they go for in a plain 2-axis in a 2000 or 2500 model?

Back