What's new
What's new

Chemical Paws - Pets in the shop

THCustoms

Aluminum
We ban any pets entering the premises. I personally love pets, got a dog myself, but for the hell of me I can't think of introducing my dog to the petroleum based chemicals and others that are typically found in today modern shops. Less having my dog's chemical paws walking my home floor, or car, afterward (crazy stuff loll)

We got a pretty well maintained shop floor and one of my colleague keeps hammering this subject and wants to bring his dog to the shop with him. The answer is always NO, of course!

He keeps sending me these Youtube vids of other machinists/shop owners who (strangely) brings their dog into the shop and say; "see?! its fine man" :rolleyes5:
(^ you do not get to chose who you work with, true story!)

Are we too strict? Inhuman?!

I can't see allowing pets (or small children for that matter) into a shop setting. No matter how clean, there's always going to be some chemicals or metal chips available for walking on and getting attached to paws or fur. And when the animal licks things, well...

Hang tight, you're doing the right thing.

So far I've had 3 dogs in the shop, every day. Two of them lived their whole 11 and 13 year lives going to work with me. Not one chip in a paw. They are completely unrestricted and not one problem. They are well trained, 60-70 lb lab mixes for reference.

I happen to be the owner, but my employees are welcome to bring their well behaved dogs as well.

Would those work?!?!

file_174_dog-boots.jpg

Depends on the shop. My floor is pretty clean, no spills or puddles, and I keep any chips cleaned up so I don't track them outside or into the house myself. At times I also work barefoot in the summer so I guess I pass that test.

So far I've had 3 dogs in the shop, every day. Two of them lived their whole 11 and 13 year lives going to work with me. Not one chip in a paw. They are completely unrestricted and not one problem. They are well trained, 60-70 lb lab mixes for reference.

I happen to be the owner, but my employees are welcome to bring their well behaved dogs as well.

I work out of my garage, and my dog is with me all the time. I trained him not to lick anything in the garage, or eat anything in the garage. I sweep up more now, but we have had more thorns in paws than chips.

But honestly, I think it depends on the dog whether they should be allowed in the shop or not. This guy is smart (Border Collie/Aussie/Bernese) enough not to leave the property or enter the street. Giving him some basic shop training only took a couple nights of keeping a close eye on him..

I put him inside when I grind or weld; he's not that smart. All I have to do is tell him "I'm going to do some welding buddy" and he waits at the door for me to let him in. Then he lays waiting at the door for me to let him back out, with his paw on the glass, . He is literally my Seymour.

lolll that little dog really looks like a shop floor intern. Can also picture the drama

Me: Hey Pete, you've seen my screwdriver?
Pete: nope, sorry
Me: Wtf, it was right here a min ago

I could see where a chip would probably not penetrate the pad on a dogs foot, they are tough :) What would worry me more are the chips and chemicals that get caught in the paw fir.

Every morning my wife lets our dogs out early, I'm still in bed. After the dogs come back in the first thing she does is let her favorite get on the bed to pester me! After I pet him he lays down and starts licking all four paws for about 15 minutes. Everything he has stepped in goes straight into his mouth.

I think I would make another deal with the guy...

He may bring his dog, once again if he thinks its still a good idea, IF he licks the soles of his boots for 3 minutes every day.

Don't know about your boots but my tongue would be in shreds in about 1 minute...

Local shop to the south of me has 10 employees. Owner brings -highly trained- dog each day. Dog knows to stay in the office, not enter the shop. Occasionally he brings the wife's dog, but dog is chained to remain in office. No dog allowed in shop itself.

Best wishes --- Allen

In my dads shop he used to keep a Doberman for years, shop was not in a great area, dog needed a home, needed lots of Vet care and owners couldn't afford...I digress.

Dog was a shop dog, had a corner for himself and a huge parking lot to play and run in...which he did. Wouldn't leave the gated area unless he was with my dad. Anyway, old manual shop with lots of chips on the floor at times. Did he ever get a chip in his pads, yes once in a blue moon, went to my dad who'd pick it out. Once in awhile dog came home and he definitely needed a bath before coming into house as he was dirty, even though he'd get baths at shop.

Dad got dog at 6 months old and he lived till he was 13, thats pretty old for a Big 135lb Doby. He had a pretty good life, guys loved him, he's pester them..greatest disposition of any dog I've ever known.

Not sure where I was going with this....Oh, dog lived a good, long happy life at that shop. So having a dog in shop, not a big problem, train'em to stay away from trouble and they learn to stay away from certain activities, not walk on chips when possible. We didn't use anything we didn't stick our hands into ourselves so not too worried about dog.

That said, an employee taking their dog into my shop. No Way Jose! I do not want the responsibility of that kind of thing...they get hurt, your fault, dog hurts someone, your fault. They knocks over a job, material, a cart, bites someone...your fault.
It can end bad so many ways for you and for what?

20 years of bringing dogs to the shop.
Can get a chip in their foot, a particular face mill with round inserts that makes a hook like chip, pretty rare
If you are worried about the chemicals you use, use different chemicals. Do you wear a biohazard suit?
Dogs tend to stay out of the shop area mostly due to the noise

If I didn't bring my dogs to the shop with me, I'd never get to see 'em.

I've had a few chips in the paw, but other than that, no big deal.

They've got a fenced acre to run in, and most of the year the doors
are all open so they can come and go as they please..

And they let me know when the UPS man is out front.

An employee bringing their dog, that's a bit strange, but when I
worked elsewhere I'd bring my dog in on occasion, no big deal..

Its hard to stay mad after breaking an endmill when you turn around
and there is a dog giving you goofy look saying "Hey fucker, pet me".

Got no dogs here, but innumerable cats will wander in and out all day long when the doors are open. A number of them have hidden in cabinets and the mezzanine to raise kittens. Currently have a litter in one of the large squirrel cage fans.

We have two shop cats (automotive shop) they have no problem with them, I recon they aren't that dumb... I have met some dogs that are that dumb though.

Dont forget the safety glasses... That she hates wearing
DSCN1064_zpslghrukoi.jpg

Mines in the shop everyday with me, but is a very laid back dog that would rather sleep all day. She stays out of the coolant, occasionally tries to eat chips of the floor, but usually just chews on them and spits them back out. The worst is when your on a deadline and she keeps nudging you with her ball that she wants thrown, after awhile she gives up and goes back on her bed.

Back