What's new
What's new

Chemical Waste disposal and meeting codes related to chemistry hood in the USA

snowman

Diamond
Is anyone familiar with the legal difficulties of chemical disposal? I know approximately what the waste is composed of, but not exact compositions, so disposal will also need in include analysis I'd imagine.

Also the legal requirements to install a ventilation hood in a business?

My concerns in regards to both of these are that I operate a llc with a residential area.

I just want to be on the up and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is anyone familiar with the legal difficulties of chemical disposal? I know approximately what the waste is composed of, but not exact compositions, so disposal will also need in include analysis I'd imagine.

Also the legal requirements to install a ventilation hood in a business?

My concerns in regards to both of these are that I operate a llc with a residential area.

I just want to be on the up and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is all about the regulations on where your business is located. Those regulations vary greatly through out the USA. Contact the local authorities, anonymously in case you don't like their answer.

As an example about variations on regulations and procedures concerning disposing of waste I give you this. When I was in Riverside California some jack ass left 25 gallons of motor oil in 5 gallon buckets on the sidewalk in front of my house, while I was in the process of moving. I called around and was willing to be cool and pay whatever it took to dispose of it properly. My only option was to get on a list of waste generators, wait 3 weeks and pay $8 a gallon. Since I did not have 3 weeks I left it right where it was and never heard another word.

If the same scenario happened here in Virginia I could have given it to someone who burned it in a waste oil heater, or driven it to the FREE landfill and poured it in their 500 gallon used oil tank. Those options would cost me NOTHING, not $200 and a 3 week wait.

In Ohio, there are waste oil recovery tubs at auto parts stores. Just bring in your oil and pour it in the bin in the back of the store.

On the noxious fume front, there is a house in my little town that has a blower going all hours servicing a laser cutter machine. This was told to me by an EPA employee, who certainly had the contacts to do something about it if needed. Ultimately, you'll need to determine how much of what you're letting out, and whether it evaporates by the time it gets to the end of your pipe.
Chip

Thanks...this is actually most useful as I hadn't thought of it as a state specific issue.

As far as what's going out the pipe and other things, my environmental impact is less than that of the average swimming pool owner. It's just "scary" because it's a chemistry hood, and I have chemicals in jars and generate "toxic waste". lol

Pull my boat out of the water and a barnicle, few muscles and seaweed fall from boat..."IF" I was to kick that stuff back into the water I'd be fined heavily for polluting. That stuff is considered "hazardous waste" sometime between when the time the boat came out of the water till the time it made it over land.

Stupid is what it is...we collect waste, filter the water and dispose of the hazardous waste through a waste collection service.

In the shop we do the same...I use few if any chemicals its all tramp oil and soluble stuff that goes into drums and every few months we call our HazMat company for a pickup. The Initial First time pickup we paid for Chemical Analysis so they could judge cost of the pickup. I think they recheck every few pickups to make sure...anyway, they pickup and we file the receipt away.

Back