What's new
What's new

Christmas is right around the corner, What gift(s) for the Shop Employees?

4 FN 27

Aluminum
Every year we give all of our employees a Gift Card and a Gift for Christmas. We have done Shirts, Sweat Shirts, Hats, Nice Flashlights...ect.

We typically spend at total of $100.00 per person. Looking for ideas for something that will be useful and meaningful to our team.

Any ideas???

years ago my boss would usually give us a extra heavy sweat shirt and our christmas bonuses in cash, in a shoe box. so we knew he was wast writing it off and that meant something. the sweat shirts were great because we were outside all year.

I asked my employee's once what they would prefer a Honey baked ham or a Turkey. They said "Cash". So I put cash in their envelope. Not a check, cash. Best to make it the same for everyone as they will compare.

I asked my employee's once what they would prefer a Honey baked ham or a Turkey. They said "Cash". So I put cash in their envelope. Not a check, cash. Best to make it the same for everyone as they will compare.

Unfortunately they will compare....and then bitch & moan that "Fred the slacker" got the same
as the hardest worker you have.

Ham it is, if you don't want it, I'm sending them to the food bank.

I used to save the scrap money and at Xmas I'd give all the full-timers a ham and $100 cash
and the part-timers $50 cash.

Most of the shops I worked at we didn't get anything. When we did get something it usually had the Co. logo on it. Oh boy.:rolleyes5:

Last year I got a nice big sweater.... That was nice, but I would have preferred a little screamer.

$100 could get you a really nice pocket knife with their name engraved on it. I'm partial to the US made Kershaws with the speed assist for one-handed opening.

I would love to go the Cash direction but the IRS has issues with that.

I have a business associate that did that for years until one day a disgruntled employee turned him in to the IRS. That is a big no-no.

As I stated we are "Looking for ideas for something that will be useful and meaningful to our team."

If we wanted a Tax deduction we would buy a new piece of equipment where we can depreciate the whole thing not just up to $25.00 per gift. The point is my Brother and I really appreciate the efforts our employees put into the company and we would like to show our appreciation in a thoughtful and useful gift. We both know everyone of our employees and their families.

Any ideas???

How about a gift card from Walmart, Cabellas or Target?

My accountant knew about the cash and figured out a way.....you pay the taxes, not them.

Easier to just figure out what you want them to have post tax and increase the bonus check so it ends up the same. Less to deal with :)

Figure on what you're looking to do for everyone and make it personal. If they have 2 kids, get them a check & something small and personal for the kids, Nerf guns or footballs, or whatever. Maybe Wives/Girlfriends get a sweatshirt, jacket or throw. Make sure the gifts are commensurate with their contribution. If they don't have kids maybe a bigger check. If he loves his truck, get him a gift certificate to Jegs, Boat-Overtons, etc. If it's an apprentice give them half in cash/check and half in a tool-bill credit, to help them build up their tooling; perhaps their leader could help with that, and the purchases are technically capital...

I would love to go the Cash direction but the IRS has issues with that.

I have a business associate that did that for years until one day a disgruntled employee turned him in to the IRS. That is a big no-no.

How did the disgruntled employee prove he was given cash? Or is the shop owner guilty until proven innocent? I no longer have employees, when I did Christmas bonus was an extra 20 hours pay in cash, so if a person made $15 an hour they got an extra three $100 bills in their pay envelope.

I agree with money. A gift card to a popular store is also good. Maybe have 3 or 4 options? Amazon, walmart, target, a grocery store, etc. One year we got Groupon gift cards and mine is still collecting dust... I should probably just sell it for 80% value.

Easier to just figure out what you want them to have post tax and increase the bonus check so it ends up the same. Less to deal with :)

Agreed.

Consider that a large proportion of people cannot afford a $200 to $400 emergency outlay. I think it seems a shame to waste a decent sized bonus on random crap bought on speculation that they might need it.

How did the disgruntled employee prove he was given cash? Or is the shop owner guilty until proven innocent?

Forensic Audit. Distribution Check to the owner for $54000 cashed, yes cashed. 36 employees @ $1500 each. Anything over $9999.00 cashed or deposited as Cash is automatically filed on. The audit proved it was done in the years prior.

Back