Christmas is right around the corner, What gift(s) for the Shop Employees? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    This for the Men, though I prefer Benchmade. For the ladies in the office, maybe a nice bottle of wine or something more ladylike.
    You prefer ?

Get it wrong in todays age and you'll get sued.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sued over the brand of Pocketknife? I don't think we've gone that overboard, yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''Christmas is right around the corner, What gift(s) for the Shop Employees? ''

A simple sentence ''Seasons greetings to one and all, .......you still have a job after the break.''

4. Likes camscan, Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be generous....

A nice gesture would cash divided among your employees equal to your anticipated tax savings for 2018 due to tax reform. To make them even happier include a note about your support for Trump was responsible for the $4,000 to $9,000 savings they'll receive on their personal tax returns.

They'll love you for it.....

6. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    This for the Men, though I prefer Benchmade. For the ladies in the office, maybe a nice bottle of wine or something more ladylike.
    Like a garrotte?

8. Likes rons liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Like a garrotte?
    I've always heard that you should have both a garrotte and a stick.

Oh, wait ... maybe that was carrot. Never mind ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

over 30+ years of working, I've seen the range: worked at places that gave absolutely nothing (I work my day job at one now) to places that gave massive bonuses (assuming things were good that year, of course) and everything in between.....and with the exception of the 'massive cash bonus' place (who treated us all great all year long anyways), there was always a sliding scale of bitching-

I doubt there's any one 'catch-all' answer to your question....because every shop has different dynamics:

one place- small shop, not rich, place barely afloat, boss gave a butterball out of his own pocket- not one guy bitched, b/c we knew the score and we knew the boss cared.

different place- bigger shop, made good money, we got a ham and a small bonus....a few guys bitched, but were 'those guys': the ones who would bitch if you gave them a check instead of cash.

different place- big profitable multinational corp, gave us each some cheap trinket laser-etched with the company logo and had lunch brought in (one year it was a travel mug, another was a flashlight) price point somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.99....there was some bitching, but most employees just didn't care enough to bitch, they ate the free food, about half tossed the freebie in the trash, and went on with the day.

bottom line- when the boss actually gives a damn about the employees (and I mean all day, every day, year round), it really doesn't matter what you give (cash, a gift, a free meal, whatever)- as long as it's in-line with the company's profitability and the employees' contribution to that profitability.

11. Likes [email protected], 4 FN 27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    years ago my boss would usually give us a extra heavy sweat shirt and our christmas bonuses in cash, in a shoe box. so we knew he was wast writing it off and that meant something. the sweat shirts were great because we were outside all year.
    Just because it was cash doesn't mean he didn't write it off. Just sayin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
    I would love to go the Cash direction but the IRS has issues with that.
    Why? Just go down to the bank with a check for cash and hand it out. It's your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just expense it out depending on the amount. $1000-$1500 total, no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Company sponsored trip to the strip club! Unless you have women working for you. Then maybe just a ham.
    Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

At a past job, I was handed a fifty dollar bill a week before xmas. I looked at it for a couple seconds, handed it back to the owner with the brand new Harley, and said, "Here, you must need this more than I do."
    You're a jerk and if I owned that shop I would have got you outta there quick. Jeez!

17. Likes dstryr, nmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember back a few years ago I would occasionally work out in the shop and would just leave my toolbox/rollaway open. One time about two weeks before Christmas my Starrett square was missing. I looked everywhere and asked every one. No square. I told the foreman that if I didn't get my tool back there would be no Christmas bonuses. He was not happy with that at all. He said, "you can't do that!" I said,"no one who I give a paycheck to is going to steal from me". The next day it showed up in the lunch room.

19. Likes Limy Sami, Jashley73, Modelman, LockNut liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    The biggest problem I’ve seen is once you start doing something you can’t stop because the employees come to expect it. I never gave more than I did because it was just a token of my appreciation and kept in the spirit of the holiday. It was something I felt I’d be able to do regardless of whether we had a good year or not.
    I only had more than one employee for 5 years or so when I was an OEM. Other than the standard 20 hours pay at Christmas I varied the other perks and bonuses so they didn't get used to anything. I had a unique situation as we could have one person each working on separate items that compromised a kit and there were more machines than operators. I could simply say we need 1000 dual battery mounts for 1948 Wambats fabricated, painted, & packaged with all mounting hardware by Friday and then everyone will get something extra. It is quite amazing when everyone's success is based on your teammate doing well also, all the normal machine shop politicking & bull crap disappears. If the skilled guy finishes all the CNC parts needed for 1,000 kits you can bet he gets over and starts helping deburr, clean & paint or other tasks he would normally say his time is too valuable for. All of a sudden no one is leaning on the machine between loads or watching a lower skilled person struggle and laughing about it. I also kept them off balance by going to extremes, sometimes giving them every dime the extra effort was worth and others handing out a $20 bill to 5 people when they made me an extra couple $1,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
    Every year we give all of our employees a Gift Card and a Gift for Christmas. We have done Shirts, Sweat Shirts, Hats, Nice Flashlights...ect.
    My wife does gift baskets/bags of food, some of which she makes, jam and cookies for example. We try to make it high end stuff nicely presented; something they'd be proud to take home to the wife. We're around 25 now so its getting to be a burden, but its person and adds to the 'family' environment. Someone had to make an effort, not just write a cheque. The other aspect I like is it gets share with their families - I'm sure wives and kids appreciate it and it reflects positively on where Dad works. Don't think the wife isn't involved in discussion about work, so a little goodwill there is a good thing.

I don't give money and am not crazy about it. It quickly becomes part of the compensation package and expected....but at the same time its not something that gets in the base rate so does you no good when you are trying to attract new talent.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A profit sharing bonus percentage in the December paycheck. If they compare the amounts from year to year then they will know if it was a good or bad year for you. Should keep everybody in step with how the business is doing.

Not an answer but I thought about a Muslim guy who owned a business that I went to. He said the faith asks that he donate something like 2% of his earnings to charity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rons View Post
    A profit sharing bonus percentage in the December paycheck. If they compare the amounts from year to year then they will know if it was a good or bad year for you. Should keep everybody in step with how the business is doing.

Not an answer but I thought about a Muslim guy who owned a business that I went to. He said the faith asks that he donate something like 2% of his earnings to charity.
    Of all the place I ever worked that tried to implement a "Profit Sharing" program, I never saw a nickel.
    of course, Wifey-poo got a new car, and hubby got a bunch of new toys for his boat, but, "sorry guys, we ran in the red again this year"

24. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild West View Post
    You're a jerk and if I owned that shop I would have got you outta there quick. Jeez!
    No, if I were [email protected], you would have got your $50 bill back - along with my immediate resignation - LONG before you could have got me out of there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm always baffled at the spectrum of reactions to people's/companies' acts of generosity. It was just a week ago that people were griping about millennials being a batch of entitled brats. And then we read in this thread all the griping in response to being given a gift, regardless of the flavor...

-- rant off --

Cash is nice and universal, but also universal are gas & groceries. A gift card to Kroger or other grocery chain is something that could be used by everyone, and would be especially useful at the holidays. From the struggling single-parent, to the wealthy couple throwing a holiday bash party, everyone spends more on food & groceries around November & December. Combine with other gifts to make it personal if you wish.

27. Likes Oldwrench, Wild West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fuck Christmas.

29. Likes Screwmachine, Lt. Swarf liked this post