What's new
What's new

Cold saw blade sharpening with quinn saw

tubeguy

Aluminum
Some of you may recall a offer made by a member back in November, trpplchip I think. At the time he was offering a free sharpening to try out their services over at Quinn saw. We had decided to give them a try as our sharpening shop at the time was going to hell after a owner change.

The blades we run are 14" and 16" OD cutting both mild and 304/316 tube. We found we were getting about 40% better blade life on mild and 60% better on SS after the switch. While that doesn't exactly make sense to me thats what we found after a 10 blade batch.

I would think sharpening is a established science. I'm surprised there was such a performance difference. Blades ran about 2 Bucks more than we were paying but in the end a better deal. That's all....

Thanks for the great feedback tubeguy. Many of our new customers are surprised at how well their blades perform after our sharpening service. There are many factors that contribute to putting out a great blade including the type of grinding machinery used, grinding wheel shape and tooth geometry angles. Circular saw blades are all we have done since my great-grandfather started Quinn Saw in 1903, so there is also an experience factor involved.

Everyone knows how to drive a car. But when you combine a finely tuned machine with the right tires, a great pit crew and the best driver, then you are more likely to win the race.

Quinn Saw

Bill (Triplechip) is a friend of mine and I have been out to his shop in St Louis. As a sharpening shop owner myself, it is pretty damn humbling when you walk into Quinn Saw and see not only the machinery, but the processes and procedures that have been developed over decades. Bill, his brother Joe and the rest of the crew do a fantastic job and are among the most knowledgeable that I have come across. Bill has been extremely helpful to me (and others in our industry) and is deeply involved in promoting our industry.

Thank you Bill. You are an inspiration!!!!

Triple,
Funny to see this thread pop up as I was planning to call you today! I have quite a bit of coldsaw experience and have had few problems. But now we are having problems and I've completely run out of things to check and I need another opinion if you don't mind.

Back