What's new
What's new

Is it common for shops to give holidays off paid?

Econdron

Hot Rolled
Like the title says, I'm just curious if it's expected for full time employees in shops to be paid when the shop is closed on holidays? I used to not pay holidays, but then I started to think that was really turning people off from working for me, so I started paying holidays. Then it became a problem because employees who had nothing to do wanted to come in on holidays like July 4th and such and wanted to be paid double for working that day. So what I did was I gave everyone 4 extra days of PTO and said you can use it if you want on holidays, but it's not automatically applied. Which seems to be working pretty well so far.

Everywhere I worked gives you a paid day off for New Years, Memorial day, July 4th, Labor day, Thanksgiving and the Friday after, Christmas eve and Christmas.

Some have additional days as recognized by local custom or law. One place election day is required 4 hours payed off by law. One gave you your birthday as a payed day off.

If I had to work a holiday (rush job) it was double time plus 8 hours holiday pay. I never had the option to chose to work on holidays.

I am happily salaried now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

^^^ That's the list I always paid, and expected to get paid when I was an employee.

Some places require you to work the day before and the day after to get the holiday pay.

We have eight paid holidays and you get double time if you have to work on a holiday.

In addition to that we have 4 PTO days you can use for doctors appointments or if you are sick or just need a day to run errands or whatever plus paid vacation depending on length of employment.

This is pretty standard for all companies in manufacturing around here.

As an employer you do not give anyhthing really.

You take a portion of an employees earnings and set aside for fringe benefits.

Days off for sickness
Days off for personal needs/wants
Days off for holidays

Coffee
Juice
Water
Picnic benches

Etc etc

Whatever you choose to offer, whatever your employee chooses to accept is a compromise...so to speak.

Could bee 33% of that persons earnings he takes home.
Or 32% and a day off
31% and two days off.

30% three days off and two coffee breaks

It's all about the deal offered, the counter and the acceptance.

In short what works best for you and your guys

We do 7 paid holidays (day after thanksgiving isn't a mandatory holiday here but most people take it) plus 5 PTO plus accrued vacation (1-3 weeks/year depending on how long you've been here.)

Seems fairly standard, really. A place with no paid time off is a place that doesn't care if the employees make rent every month.

There's no reason you'd have to let people work holidays for double time if you don't want them there that day. You're in charge, not them.

We get 10 or 11 paid days plus I am up to just under 5 hrs PTO per check (bi-weekly = 3 weeks/year). I don't think i would work at a place with NO paid holidays, or I would just be there until I found one that did. Sorry, but paid holidays are the norm, not the exception, unless working part time.

Here National holidays are paid, if you choose to work those days you would be paid double, or given extra day holiday paid.

1 January Monday New Year’s Day
30 March Friday Good Friday
2 April Monday Easter Monday
7 May Monday Early May bank holiday
28 May Monday Spring bank holiday
27 August Monday Summer bank holiday
25 December Tuesday Christmas Day
26 December Wednesday Boxing Day

+ 25 days of accrued holiday to take off, throughout the rest of the year

... when the shop is closed on holidays? (snip) Then it became a problem because employees who had nothing to do wanted to come in on holidays like July 4th and such and wanted to be paid double for working that day.

If the shop is closed, there's no work to come in for. Do they all have keys and access codes? If you control the shop, you control the work scheduling, and there's no work scheduled, so if you're working when not scheduled you're effectively trespassing. Only the boss gets to change the company's schedule of operations, not the crew.

Now if you're an electric utility, medical facility, or police/fire, then holidays have to be staffed like any other day, and 'choosing to work' on a holiday (when other's cannot) should net you a little extra dough. And if no one chooses to work, someone gets assigned to work. But if you're making widgets, the world will go on if no widgets are made on July 4th.

Chip

Like the title says, I'm just curious if it's expected for full time employees in shops to be paid when the shop is closed on holidays? I used to not pay holidays, but then I started to think that was really turning people off from working for me, so I started paying holidays. Then it became a problem because employees who had nothing to do wanted to come in on holidays like July 4th and such and wanted to be paid double for working that day. So what I did was I gave everyone 4 extra days of PTO and said you can use it if you want on holidays, but it's not automatically applied. Which seems to be working pretty well so far.

i get 10 paid holidays and if sick i have to use 1 of my weeks vacation when sick after that company pays sick days. usually if people have to use one of their weeks vacation when sick they really are sick. when i broke my leg and was out of work 4 weeks the first week i had to use one of my weeks vacation but company paid me the next 3 weeks. of course i had to have doctor send info that i had really broke my leg. i'm not sure if he sent the xray too.
plus i get 6% 401K match which is 6% of total pay including overtime.
obviously the benefits is about 10% or my hourly pay rate is really only 90% of actual pay rate as the benefits are worth 10% more
....so $23/hr with benefits is really $25.30/hr if comparing to shop with no benefits

I would say it depends on the size of the shop or firm. One place I work for (late 80s), Christmas and 1/2 day on Thanksgiving. Other places the standard as others have listed. Double for Sunday and Tripple for holidays. I get at least 5 days for Christmas and up to 8.
Sounds like you have to compete.

In Austria if you are a fulltime employee you get 14 month a year paid. The same if you are on welfare or on a pension.

I'm a pensioner now so I get twice a year another monthly payment.

One month pay is holiday pay and the other is Christmas bonus.

I used to not pay holidays, .....

Then it became a problem because employees who had nothing to do wanted to come in on holidays like July 4th and such and wanted to be paid double for working that day. .

Part A above makes me cringe as if I worked for anyone as hourly I'd expect something so my employees deserve it also.
I can see this for part-time workers and co-ops or maybe 1-4 month people but..... full time???

Part B , do they want double time on top of the paid holiday (triple time, and not unusual), or just the paid holiday and the straight pay for working it?

If the second half of my sentence above they get a paid day off, if they work it they get paid for that too on top of the holiday pay.
Otherwise why show up?
Often this day will carry a time and a half or double time pay so looking at it from payroll or a owners view 2.5 or 3x the money out of the checkbook.

You can do deferred holidays if you need workers on those special days. IE: I need you to work the 4th but you can have next Monday off paid.
This buys you nothing but under most state laws the following Saturday can be straight time, not overtime as the actual hours worked are under 40 if you want to pinch pennies.
You can do this with holiday weeks also but this practice just sort of sits bad with me and generally does not make for happy workers.
Bob

You guys would hate China. Besides the regular holidays there's some you don't know of - International Women's day and stuff. Women get either 60 days or six months for pregnancy (I think six months but should look it up first) and you can't fire them, I forget the exact rules. And everyone gets ten days officially but takes two weeks or more for Spring Festival. PLUS everyone gets at least a full month's salary for a Spring Festival bonus. If you've worked a certain amount of time for a company - three years ? you can't be fired except for cause. Real cause, not just "I don't like this guy anymore." And I don't think we have layoffs but would have to look - was surprised by that at one time but it went something like "Sure, you can lay people off but you still have to pay them." If you close the company or play some game (change the name, keep the customers, move down the street), everybody gets one month severance per year worked. China labor law is kind of interesting.

^ Thats a pretty fair deal, here in the uk the law is 4 weeks paid a year, bank -statutory holidays are not compulsory but do count towards those 4 weeks except in the nicer places.

Here its one week severance for every year worked upto a maximum ?? and the first 1 or 2 years in the job don't count towards that total. Ever less places do any kinda bonus too.

I realy don't get the American ethos for such minimal holiday entitlements??

You guys would hate China. Besides the regular holidays there's some you don't know of - International Women's day and stuff. Women get either 60 days or six months for pregnancy (I think six months but should look it up first) and you can't fire them, I forget the exact rules. And everyone gets ten days officially but takes two weeks or more for Spring Festival. PLUS everyone gets at least a full month's salary for a Spring Festival bonus. If you've worked a certain amount of time for a company - three years ? you can't be fired except for cause. Real cause, not just "I don't like this guy anymore." And I don't think we have layoffs but would have to look - was surprised by that at one time but it went something like "Sure, you can lay people off but you still have to pay them." If you close the company or play some game (change the name, keep the customers, move down the street), everybody gets one month severance per year worked. China labor law is kind of interesting.
You red communist pigs ;)

Chinese system sounds like much like the developed countries excluding US.

Around here its 5 weeks paid vacation on minimum, 2,5 weeks salary as a extra after holidays and dozen of national holidays on top of that. Would-be Mums are impossible to fire and normally take 0.5 to 2 year parental leave after having baby. Fathers get 3 months (paid, partly company partly goverment) parental leave and so on.

I suppose it very much depends on the company and very much on the laws of the country. I don't know what the US laws are but in most (all?) of Europe paid holidays are mandatary by law.

Here (Denmark) all employees have the right to 5 weeks holiday with full pay. In some European countries a little more, in others a little less.

Maternity leave is 1 year with pay. Off work because of illness? Again, with pay. Surprisingly this doesn't get abused as some may think.

It should be open market and nothing more.

Your pay and benefits regardless of what piece you look at all add up to a single line item....operational cost per hour.

Your available hours for resale are reduced by those hours that you are away from work so the margin must be factored in to the shop rate.

That part is easy.

If there is an abundance of skilled labor for the task and cost pressure or competition driving the sell price down then benefits or pay are the tools to control cost.

If company a has a slightly better "package" then b then they will usually get better labor which may get better product then better pay maybe.

Some see only hourly pay while others only see holidays or other short sited things.

If you do not like your "package" seek out a better place or get the skills required to get there.

We as tax payers should never be funding someone else's vacation.

EVERYONE should EARN their rewards....and if the government would stay out of the way and stop stealing or harvesting revenue from those that EARN IT to give it to people that do NOTHING then those who are earning their rewards would have more.

And those doing nothing would be motivated to earn theirs or not eat. ..basic economic structure...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

We have a few paid holiday's as well as a paid vacation mid summer, provided you have been with the company for a year. If someone wants to come in anyway, it's treated like regular overtime. Unless they need to make up time to get to their 40-hr. week, overtime is often not approved unless there is a super time sensitive job.
It's just part of business.

Back