What's new
What's new

Back in management

litlerob

Hot Rolled
So I usually quit my job when they try to get me to be management, but they got me this time. I am back in it. For some reason they always think that the guy who is most productive can as a manager make it osmotically leak onto everyone else. I am not a good manager, I am good at making shit. Not making other people like me.

Just a rant, Robert

Breath deeply. Meditate. They don't actually help, but they're less painful than banging your head on the wall or getting so tense the blood vessels in your neck burst, which don't help either.

Good luck.

Had a supervisor job for a while, then ran like hell, 40 years ago. Never regreted running.

Manager (in next business) told me I could not be promoted any more unless I took super position. Told him no way, alimony is to costly. 10 years later I was up at least 2 brackets in engineering.

I think it is a mind set of management types who don't understand that some of us enjoy our work and want to leave it in the shop at the end of the day. That still does not stop us from waking up at 2AM with an Ah Ha moment-because we ENJOY our work!

Had a supervisor job for a while, then ran like hell, 40 years ago. Never regreted running.

Manager (in next business) told me I could not be promoted any more unless I took super position. Told him no way, alimony is to costly. 10 years later I was up at least 2 brackets in engineering.

I think it is a mind set of management types who don't understand that some of us enjoy our work and want to leave it in the shop at the end of the day. That still does not stop us from waking up at 2AM with an Ah Ha moment-because we ENJOY our work!

Robert,

I know the feeling.....I've been "Plant Manager" for ten years now. The longer I do it, the more I realize I'm no good at it. I was promoted because, like you, I'm great at making things, beating quoted times, helping co-workers, solving problems, perfect attendance.......But I suck and managing people, delegating, budgeting time....I can make a machine do whatever I want.....not so much with people. I've discussed this with my boss a few times before. He doesn't want to replace me. He would prefer that I figure out what I need to know to do the job and get on with it. I love the company and quitting is out of the question for me, but I dread my position more and more each day. Sometimes my boss shows his appreciation and that does help, but that's pretty rare anymore. Meanwhile I keep praying to God that I win the PowerBall and take an early retirement.

Hope it goes well for you,

Brian

It just seems like every shop I work in this happens, when I was younger and dumber, I thought hey more money sounds good-and took the job-once. After that, it was my sign for when to quit, but I really need the money right now. I am like you Brian I am no people person, and I have spent my pre-this time watching how the shop operates from the sidelines, and thinking--Hacks. Now it's my job to get the hack out of 30 year men. That my friends can't, won't, willn't ever happen. And the owner will inevitably ask why.

Luckily, I am still responsible for a new machine, not just exclusive supervision.

Robert, my ±2

Back