What's new
What's new

Vindicative sales reps

kb0thn

Stainless
Rant!

I never understand the vindicative sales rep. Today I got a call from a sales rep of a company I've never done business with. I listened to her last time and it wasted my time. This time I recognized her on caller ID, so I picked up, listened to her introduction, and said "Sorry, we don't have any needs right now. Thanks, Bye.". And what do you know, I now have an angry e-mail from her in my inbox. Check this out:

> I just tried calling and you said you have no needs and hung up. I
> wasn’t calling to sell you anything. Sometimes others just like to check
> in to see how business is doing with the weather. I wasn’t sure if you
> were able to commute in today since some of my other Minnesota companies
> were closed today.

Yeah right.

I've had this problem and far worse before. Here are just a few examples since 2006 that come to my mind:
a) I've had sales reps threaten me physical violence when I have declined their product and asked them not to call me again.
b) I had one that said my main supplier was a customer of his and he would go to them and have them shut me down. How would the office furniture salesman go to the billion dollar electronics components distributor and convince them not to sell me $100k of electronics components per year?
c) I've even had one that called me over 100 times in one day. An actual guy. Tied up both of our phone lines and kept me and my phone support guy busy all day trying to keep the phone lines open. How could he possibly think that I would buy penny stocks from him after that?
d) I had my (former) insurance agent walk into my office while I was meeting with an important customer. Literally pushed my secretary away and walked into my meeting and tried to get me to sign a contract for dental insurance. I stood up and told him to get the fuck out of my office. And he proceeded to start swearing right back at me. I actually had to call the police on him. When I called the insurance agents boss, the boss started yelling at me for swearing at his employee.
e) Had one almost slam my dogs head in the door. Intentionally. Said he didn't like dogs. He is damn lucky that my dog is friendly and my .45ACP was out of reach.
f) Had a business bureau representative come in and ask for the owner of the business that used to be in this building. I said he was out of business and gone and the guy wouldn't take that for answer. Started getting mad and yelling. I actually had to push him out of the building. He came back in and I picked up a piece of 1-1/2" schedule 40 pipe and explained to him how things were going to go if he didn't leave.

What is with this people?!?

-Jim

I am just speechless! I have never heard of a sales rep doing any of the things you just wrote! (I had one deliver cake earlier today)

Is this something that occurs often in your area?

Why don't you just ignore the call? She's only doing her job. Put yourself in her shoes; you did outright hang up on her. Simple facts.

Had one show up once and tell me he just left manufacturing and joined on this new company as a sales rep. Not being busy right then I asked him what it was they sell. "Anything you need Sir". I asked for a line card, didn't have one, didn't even know what one was. Told him I really wasn't interested in his company. He walked out, sat in his car for 5 minutes, came back in and told me " I think we got off on the wrong foot and I can sell you everything you need". Asked for line card again, nothing. Asked what they sell again, "anything you need". Finally got him out the door and the next day posted a sign on the front door that says "No Salesman without an appointment".

Rant!

I never understand the vindicative sales rep. Today I got a call from a sales rep of a company I've never done business with. I listened to her last time and it wasted my time. This time I recognized her on caller ID, so I picked up, listened to her introduction, and said "Sorry, we don't have any needs right now. T
-Jim

That's where you went wrong!
I save their number under the name "do not answer". When they call back, I look at the phone and do not answer.

Why don't you just ignore the call? She's only doing her job. Put yourself in her shoes; you did outright hang up on her. Simple facts.

Wow. I said I didn't have any needs for her products at the moment. That's pretty frickin generous. I remember who she was and took the time to tell her that I didn't need any of her fasteners today. Hardly outright hanging up on her.

Why didn't I ignore it? How do I do that? Leave to ring so one of my employees has to leave their work stations to go get the phone? Let it tie up the phone line so I potentially miss talking to somebody that does have value to me?

I think I want to sell you stuff. You must feel obligated to buy something from every vendor that comes through. And you don't hold anything against people that waste your time?

-Jim

And either she is lying or she has a weird job. I had assumed that since last time you called, she was trying to sell me fasteners, she would be this time. But according to her e-mail, she was checking to see if I could make it into work today.

I guess what I am trying to understand is why do salespeople get a big chip on their shoulder when I tell them I don't need anything from them? Why would they spend considerable effort to burn bridges? If I was cold calling prospects I think it would be great if somebody remembered me and said that they didn't need my product today. That means that I am not spending time trying to make a sale that aint gonna happen.

But there must be a lot of people that just roll over and buy something from a pushy / threatening / vindicative salesperson. That must be why these people exist and are so prevalent.

Last edited:
I guess what I am trying to understand is why do salespeople get a big chip on their shoulder when I tell them I don't need anything from them?

Because of me.:D When I get a call and the person asks for me by my full name, or asks for the "person who makes financial decisions" I say abruptly, "yes, what are you selling?" Then as soon as they start on their sales pitch I light into them for wasting my time. I am certain after the abuse these people get from me and other people like me, they probably take it out on the next guy if he isn't at least as mean as me. I would like to think I am responsible for at least a handful of suicides among such people, or at least making them alcoholics.:cheers: If I want to buy something, I will find a source, and if I haven't heard of your company before you called, IT WON'T BE YOU!.

Rant!

I never understand the vindicative sales rep. Today I got a call from a sales rep of a company I've never done business with. I listened to her last time and it wasted my time. This time I recognized her on caller ID, so I picked up, listened to her introduction, and said "Sorry, we don't have any needs right now. Thanks, Bye.". And what do you know, I now have an angry e-mail from her in my inbox. Check this out:

> I just tried calling and you said you have no needs and hung up. I
> wasn’t calling to sell you anything. Sometimes others just like to check
> in to see how business is doing with the weather. I wasn’t sure if you
> were able to commute in today since some of my other Minnesota companies
> were closed today.

Yeah right.

I've had this problem and far worse before. Here are just a few examples since 2006 that come to my mind:
a) I've had sales reps threaten me physical violence when I have declined their product and asked them not to call me again.
b) I had one that said my main supplier was a customer of his and he would go to them and have them shut me down. How would the office furniture salesman go to the billion dollar electronics components distributor and convince them not to sell me $100k of electronics components per year?
c) I've even had one that called me over 100 times in one day. An actual guy. Tied up both of our phone lines and kept me and my phone support guy busy all day trying to keep the phone lines open. How could he possibly think that I would buy penny stocks from him after that?
d) I had my (former) insurance agent walk into my office while I was meeting with an important customer. Literally pushed my secretary away and walked into my meeting and tried to get me to sign a contract for dental insurance. I stood up and told him to get the fuck out of my office. And he proceeded to start swearing right back at me. I actually had to call the police on him. When I called the insurance agents boss, the boss started yelling at me for swearing at his employee.
e) Had one almost slam my dogs head in the door. Intentionally. Said he didn't like dogs. He is damn lucky that my dog is friendly and my .45ACP was out of reach.
f) Had a business bureau representative come in and ask for the owner of the business that used to be in this building. I said he was out of business and gone and the guy wouldn't take that for answer. Started getting mad and yelling. I actually had to push him out of the building. He came back in and I picked up a piece of 1-1/2" schedule 40 pipe and explained to him how things were going to go if he didn't leave.

What is with this people?!?

-Jim

Wow... how does one person manage to piss off sooooooo many people???

I see you live in Winona.... what happened to HERTERS ?..... best catalog of outdoor equipment EVER..

I often get calls asking for me by a name I know they must be getting from a list of VAT registered companies.
This gets the immediate reply from me of "I never buy anything over the phone".

Those that are or could be customers always start by asking about the products I make and sell.

The "never buying over the phone" from a salesperson is true. If I need something I contact them.

One thing I've never xperienced is a "vindictive" or even rude salesperson. That to me would be "the kiss of death" as far as they were concerned.

If by a miracle anyone had something that caught my interest I'd ask them to send me an email and wouldn't tell them my email as it is on my website.
If they hadn't looked at my website before phoning they wouldn't have a clue as to what I wanted or needed.

Gordon

When I get a cold call from a saleman on the phone or even better in person, I explain that I am not the one they need to talk to and transfer/send them across the yard to the shipping & receiving dept. I don't know what they do to them but I never see them again.

Had a sales person step in front of me and start talking about the benefits of some amazing new product. When I said I was not interested and had to go sales person told me I was a mental defective.

Get calls offering free technical magazines. Saying no makes the guy talk louder and faster. Hanging up makes him show up in person. I am still not getting free magazines. I assume it is some sort of billing scam anyway.

Sales person cold called, I said not interested and hung up. Guy called back to say "F... You" in my ear and hung up.

Young kid sales rep guy was not returning any of the many calls from me on a component the rep company wanted to sell us. After 2 weeks I asked for the kids boss. Kid calls to yell at me for talking to his boss. After he finished his rant I hung up and called his boss again...

I will not answer the phone if the caller ID shows:

1. a toll free number(800,888,865,etc),
2. private call
3. unavailable
4. -----------------
5. known California, New York or Florida area code with no name given
6. any caller name with financial, investments, llc or systems in it
7. any area code outside of Texas with no name shown
8. out of area
9.caller unknown

There are 18 toll free numbers in today's caller id list.

I don't have time for that bull shit.

I told a newspaper advertising salesman that I had no need of his services. His media wasn't part of my marketing plan. He said, "You'll be wanting my services for your bankruptcy liquidation sale!" I think he's on his forth job since then.

I kept getting a call from a blocked number 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks strait last month. Finally i answered. They where trying to sell some horseshit magnetic business cards or some business printing service.

I asked the guy nicely how much sense it makes to buy business cards from a company i've never heard of, on the other side of the country, that cold calls numerous times a day from a blocked number? He hung up on me. Mission completed. :D

Sometimes the best medicine for these vultures is to sound interested, let them spill their guts, then shut em down with a smile. They love it, trust me. If they want to waste my time, i return the favor.

I told a newspaper advertising salesman that I had no need of his services. His media wasn't part of my marketing plan. He said, "You'll be wanting my services for your bankruptcy liquidation sale!" I think he's on his forth job since then.

There's a newspaper salesman that calls the house every couple of months, and when the wife answer he always asks if her mom or dad is home. :D She loves when he calls.

I simply hang up on sales calls routinely.
I hardly ever try to explain that I aint buyin', I think they git it in the end...
You listen to each of their schpeals?

Heck - the automated calls don't even git so far to explain what they are selling.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I do get the "We talked a few months ago about your investments...."
McFly tapps the phone on the desk.........
the ringing will stop in their ears after a few minutes

Back