Dealing with people who have _no_ mechanical aptitude - Page 12
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    Huh? From the link I posted it looks as if Ford made many types of buses.

What diggy dog is giving a "like" for I don't know

2. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

Because - as usual - you just DO NOT grok America, Gordon. So much so it is as if your Mother dresses you funny.

Try this. We have an expression when a person, idea, or cause is abruptly deprived of support, abandoned suddenly, traded away for promises or baubles, usually with no warning, that it/they has been "thrown under the bus".

Can't use the expression "thrown to the Wolves" out this way.

Wolves in North America are impressively intelligent creatures, and far too discerning to go NEAR most of the crap being discarded.

Busses are less picky, will carry baggage in their belly, out of sight, and out of mind.

Or just run TF over it, crush it into fragments, and motor on down the road without even a glance in the rear-view mirror.

As happens to be an appropriate fate for "forced" one-system-only, exclusionary, monopolistic... much of anything, really...not just metrifuckation .. in the land of Liberty and genetically spring-loaded contrarianism.

Oh.. and SHORT busses are for smaller subgroups. Not all of the "special bus" passengers are selected for genius-level IQ's. The reverse, rather.

4. Likes Newman109 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

I didn't git that post at first, but after you mentioned it I went back and looked aggin. Now I git it.

.. and it is very possible that the joke doesn't translate the same elsewhere.

But here is a hint:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Monarch:

Pretty sure that he was in ref to this post:

Dealing with people who have _no_ mechanical aptitude

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    Monarch:

Pretty sure that he was in ref to this post:

Dealing with people who have _no_ mechanical aptitude
    Aye.

And who'd ha' BOTHERED, had not Gordon made SUCH a production over so many long years as to just how expert he is on the "American Situation" - and how that breadth of knowledge then justifies his chronic criticism of it.

"Thrown under the bus" as a term must appear at least daily in US media.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    The Ford Tri-Motor appeared to be a copy of the Fokker Tri-Motor. I assume that since it was a close copy of the German orginal, Ford would have acknowledged somewhere on his blue-prints that he owed his design to the Mother-Fokker.
    Turns out it WAS "German" inspired. The tri-motor developer had copied earlier Junkers work, not Fokker, got sued, lost. Twice.

9. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yabutt, the design is just screaming to be
    brought out again, south of the M-D line....

The skin looks much like 7/8" galvanized sheets
    from "wheeling corrugated", and the whole thing could be
    made up with a couple of dewalt screw guns, steel studs
    (from Home Depot) and "Self drillers".....

Change the engines out for S&S Harley copies....

"Junkers" won't be suing anytime soon, It'll be the
    "Junkyard Wars" version.

11. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't git that post at first, but after you mentioned it I went back and looked aggin. Now I git it.

.. and it is very possible that the joke doesn't translate the same elsewhere.

But here is a hint:

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    I still don't get it but my reply was to that Ford didn't make buses. Maybe "bus" doesn't mean what I think it does. There were plenty of pictures I could have posted but one with the Ford name plus BUS in big letters seemed the best one

The first time in the USA I saw PEDXING I didn't get that either right away.

13. Likes converterking liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He was wrong on the fact that Ford doesn't make busses.
    You are correct.

However, he did say that he "didn't know that Ford made busses."
    He didn't say that they didn't... He just didn't know it (off the top of his head in the moment)

Regardless .... "getting" the dry humor was the point.

It's really not worth the time, nor the ink we've wasted on it to this point already....

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He was wrong on the fact that Ford doesn't make busses.
    You are correct.

However, he did say that he "didn't know that Ford made busses."
    He didn't say that they didn't... He just didn't know it (off the top of his head in the moment)
    Still not sure. Mostly, they leave the "majors" as LWB medium truck chassis. Superior, Bluebird, others do the "coachwork" to make them into busses.

"Heavies", be they city mass transit, or long-distance luxo tourers can be either.
    Japan tends to use major-maker, Europe tends to have speciality bus makers.

London Transport even made their own suspensions and such at one time. There's a neat museum on it.

Regardless ....
    "getting" the dry humor was ^^^ exactly ^^^ the ^^^ only ^^^ point.
    Wasn't initially aimed at Gordo - but not any sort of surprise he missed it - and continues to miss it.

'nuf said. He ain't changing. Probably worry us more if he did.

Who was that notoriously paranoid Austrian despot? Advised that a life-long detractor had died, he pondered a moment, said:

"I wonder what his motive was?"

Gordo should outlive me? He'll start a thread on that very query! Count on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gord:

Don't git too excited about not keeping up through Dead Man's Curve back there.

I would venture to say that at least 80% of all the (smile when you say that!) Damn Yankee's wouldn't have been sucking on his tailpipe through the turn either.

All those Southbend's out there just kan't keep up through the turns like a true Monarch.

He is just milking it for all it's worth is all.

---------------------

Smile when you say Damn Yankees!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would venture to say that at least 80% of all the (smile when you say that!) Damn Yankee's wouldn't have been sucking on his tailpipe through the curve either.
    'course not. After the Sherman, Sheridan, and Grant experience, we wised up and figured it made good sense as to damnyankees to just throw them under the bus before even lettin' the clutch out...

And thanks for reminding me I'm outta genuine Jersey cow chocolate milk...
    That damned low-octane tastes like Houghton Hocut looks.

Gotta hit the road..

The Highway by Willie Nelson - YouTube

18. Likes eaglemike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scorched Earth is a war crime these days eh?
    (who made rules for war? )

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scorched Earth is a war crime these days eh?
    (who made rules for war? )

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    Let's not start. The study of human conflict - "War" but a small part of it - just happens to be my longest and dearest among many interests. Serves one well in Big Corp, and no one even has to shed blood, let alone die messily.

Well... their COMPANY might..!

And it is those who BROKE the rules of War - to make history - that are most interesting of all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    And it is those who BROKE the rules of War - to make history - that are most interesting of all.

My wifey did one of those DNA tests eh?

She said that the two largest contributors were Norse (?) and English...

"Hmmmm, so your G-ma got knocked up by one of Eriks boys on a raid eh?"

Living around here there has GOT to be some Kraut in her woodpile somewhere...
    I think it's required?

And thanks for reminding me I'm outta genuine Jersey cow chocolate milk...
    That damned low-octane tastes like Houghton Hocut looks.
    I need to fetch ice cream too, but Bertha is just now finishing up, and Dollar General just closed. Looks like I'll be paying the big bucks at the carry-out...

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wifey did one of those DNA tests eh?

She said that the two largest contributors were Norse (?) and English...

"Hmmmm, so your G-ma got knocked up by one of Eriks boys on a raid eh?"

Living around here there has GOT to be some Kraut in her woodpile somewhere...
    I think it's required?

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox
    An old friend - Museum Curator in Denmark last I heard - claimed the long boat "raids" were mostly for regular trade, and any raping was "by invitation" [1].

Given how isolated villages can be, and what BBC TV of the era must have been like - then or NOW, and on both counts - it makes quite a bit of sense.

[1] Marriage to an outsider, often divorce after siring children, no hard feelings, is still-yet-today a part of how Iceland's pragmatic womenfolk keep all the kids from looking alike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Gordon B. Clarke;3113259]What does he have to offer apart from insults at every opportunity?

So how do you suggest I respond to Billbill's (Monarchist) constant snarky comments? I'm not exactly prone to turning the other cheek.

I suppose you could do it without advertising your products.

24. Likes Monarchist, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't git too excited about not keeping up through Dead Man's Curve back there.
    well, the last thing I remember, Doc,
    was I started to swerve ...
    and then I saw Monarchist's Jag slide into the curve

I'll never forget that terrible sight,
    Found out for myself that Gordon was right ...
    Don't take a Ford bus thru Dead Man's Curve !

26. Likes digger doug, Ox, wheelieking71 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    well, the last thing I remember, Doc,
    was I started to swerve ...
    and then I saw Monarchist's Jag slide into the curve

I'll never forget that terrible sight,
    Found out for myself that Gordon was right ...
    Don't take a Ford bus to Dead Man's Curve !
    Route 9, two-lane backwoods West By God Virginia. Silly b**tch in whichever of the "Dynamic Stupidity Control" brain boxes as listens to the accelerometers wasn't programmed to grok four-wheel drifts, tried to "correct a skid".

Anyone watching those tail lights whilst sense was slapped back into fool Silicon by Continental Gummiwerke's best Lebanese tennis shoes and a cloned muscle-memory cross between Archie Scott-Brown and mid 1950's MOPAR Hemi's (sideways, if you please..) might ha' figured she was a Tiajuana transvestite wagging her arse in search of trade.

Fortunately, no one in range of the rear-view-mirrors to giggle over near-as-dammit American version of Chinese "loss of face" AKA "lose yer ASS!"

Country
    ALGERIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonytn36 View Post
    So, as with most manufacturers, we have a hard time getting decent help. There is lots of overtime because we can't get enough help, which leads to more turnover... it's a vicious cycle. Even though our turnover is typically less than 10%/yr, that is still quite a few folks when you consider we employ >1000 at our facility.

When I hired in during the early 90's, you had to have graduated from a machinist school or other technical professional school to even be considered for a position (for production positions). This led to a highly skilled workforce that did great things. Fast forward 10+ years and there are no longer anywhere near enough graduates of technical schools to fill the void due to the change in how the g'vmt viewed education. So you start hiring off the street and weeding out. Occasionally you have one or two who fall through the cracks of the weed out and become long term employees who are not really fit for the job.

I've had the pleasure (pain) of dealing with one or two of those the past week or so. I'm still not sure how I've kept from choking them...but somehow I have managed.

Guy #1 is a decent guy and he's mechanically inclined and can do stuff, but is scatterbrained due damage from a previous career. You have to keep him on task and you have to watch him to make sure he doesn't do something stupid occasionally. But for the most part, he's ok.

Guy #2 just has _no_clue_. I still don't understand how he has remained employed doing this job.

Just this past week and a half, while setting up a newly built production line:

Guy #2 is setting up a machine where we have a pneumatic device with pins on it that extends to align / seat the part in the fixture before it is clamped. He can't get the bolt for one of the pins to tighten up because the hole is full of gunk, but decides that since he can't tighten that one up, he'll just loosen the other one "so they match in looseness". (Note, trying to align a part to hold a 20 micron (0.0008") tolerance.) Then gets huffy when I tell him that won't work and he has to do it correctly. Thinks his way will work fine (he knows it all).

Then spends an hour and a half adjusting on the alignment to get the part aligned... finally comes over and says 'I've moved this adjustment 3 mm and it's still not moved the part at all'. I'm thinking..... hrm.... go over and take a look.... the pin isn't even touching the part because he put one ins that is too short, yet he has spent 1.5 hrs adjusting the fore/aft position of it and has scrapped 15 parts in the mean time. (He never looked to see if it was touching the part.)

2 days later.. We are running trial parts by hand for capability studies. He's running a machine. Calls one of my Mfg Tech's over and asks him why I programmed the machine so that the coolant slowly shuts down during the cycle so that by the time the drill is running it's just barely pissing out of the coolant lines. My Mfg Tech is so taken aback by the stupidity (while watching the coolant die off during the cycle) that he can't even verbally respond to him...... he just goes over and gets a coolant buggy and puts 30 gal of coolant in the (virtually empty) tank, which results in the coolant working the entire cycle now. (Note several thousands of dollars worth of diamond tooling in this machine.)

Last night I get a call, they are running more trial parts. Guy #1 destroys my probe and $500+ custom styli on machine #2 by forgetting to raise up Z axis before returning A axis to vertical while clearing a fault. (And does this by MDI command, not by hitting "home" - which actually would have been better because the machine would have raised Z before anything else happened.)

How do you folks deal with this? I'm not the supervisor, I'm engineering. All I can do is report my personal observations to management. But this incompetence is driving me nuts.
    Funny....where I work the imcompit stuff always comes out of engineering.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk