Dealing with people who have _no_ mechanical aptitude - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaszub View Post
    Take them all out back and shoot the dead brains.
    Figures someone from the state with the most oppressive gun laws
    would talk this way....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    When the Vega first came on the market, I was looking for a new car. I took a test ride in a Vega with a salesman. As we left, the car was missing on a cylinder or two. It even backfired once and stalled at a stop light. I asked the salesman what was wrong with the car. He told me that "it's just cold. Give it a chance.". LOL.
    Vegas were trash, but as I said the only reasonably priced stock 4-banger at that time that could hit 100 mph. It was kind of a rule of thumb the average V-8 of the day was toast at 100k miles, a 4 cylinder 80k, the Vegas were dead at 60k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Vegas were trash, but as I said the only reasonably priced stock 4-banger at that time that could hit 100 mph. It was kind of a rule of thumb the average V-8 of the day was toast at 100k miles, a 4 cylinder 80k, the Vegas were dead at 60k.
    But wait! There's more. After I decided against the Vega, I bought a Pinto Station Wagon. It was a cute vehicle with great upholstery and paint. It was really a neat little vehicle and the wife and three kids fit in it nicely.

The on'y problem was that I discovered that Ford was actually doing a marketing experiment. It was around 1974 and the gas crisis was going on. Apparently Ford engineers got the idea that they could save gas and get a lot of credit by designing a car that had exactly one horsepower more than the coefficient of friction. It was so slow, it could barely get out of its own way. Takeoffs were eternal, I'd guess two minutes for 0-60 mph. Top speed was 64 mph after five minutes.

After a year of dodging other cars of the freeway, I sold it and got a larger used car with some horsepower. LOL.

4. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But wait! There's more. After I decided against the Vega, I bought a Pinto Station Wagon. It was a cute vehicle with great upholstery and paint. It was really a neat little vehicle and the wife and three kids fit in it nicely.

The on'y problem was that I discovered that Ford was actually doing a marketing experiment. It was around 1974 and the gas crisis was going on. Apparently Ford engineers got the idea that they could save gas and get a lot of credit by designing a car that had exactly one horsepower more than the coefficient of friction. It was so slow, it could barely get out of its own way. Takeoffs were eternal, I'd guess two minutes for 0-60 mph. Top speed was 64 mph after five minutes.

After a year of dodging other cars of the freeway, I sold it and got a larger used car with some horsepower. LOL.
    Ha...I have a bobcat 642 gas with the industrial version of that pinto engine.

As it is lacking in power in the skid steer, I can imagine flying down the freeway,
    and turning on the AC would bring the car to a halt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Ha...I have a bobcat 642 gas with the industrial version of that pinto engine.

As it is lacking in power in the skid steer, I can imagine flying down the freeway,
    and turning on the AC would bring the car to a halt.
    Oh yeah. The AC on the Pinto worked nicely - if you were parked. It was terrible with the AC on when you were driving. There's a hill on the 405 Freeway going South from the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. It was 35 mph max on that hill, even worse if you turned on the AC.

Cute car, though.

7. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Top speed was 64 mph after five minutes.

Wow, I think that is the lowest top speed of a passenger car I have ever heard. I had a friend get a new 1979 Pinto two door sedan. It would do 80 mph, but it took forever to get there. That was pretty common for a 4 banger top speed of the era.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I recall, Ford replaced the original Pinto engine with a little larger one. A girlfriend had a Pinto wagon, manual transmission, no A/C, and was very happy with it. She used it for a town runabout, little highway driving, mostly for when the weather took the fun out of driving her MGA. I have been told that there was a German made engine with better controlled cast iron that held up well.

Bill