Dealing with people who have _no_ mechanical aptitude - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 141 to 147 of 147
  1. #141
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    8,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15240
    Likes (Received)
    4080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaszub View Post
    Take them all out back and shoot the dead brains.
    Figures someone from the state with the most oppressive gun laws
    would talk this way....

  2. #142
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    5,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    125
    Likes (Received)
    2172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    When the Vega first came on the market, I was looking for a new car. I took a test ride in a Vega with a salesman. As we left, the car was missing on a cylinder or two. It even backfired once and stalled at a stop light. I asked the salesman what was wrong with the car. He told me that "it's just cold. Give it a chance.". LOL.
    Vegas were trash, but as I said the only reasonably priced stock 4-banger at that time that could hit 100 mph. It was kind of a rule of thumb the average V-8 of the day was toast at 100k miles, a 4 cylinder 80k, the Vegas were dead at 60k.

  3. #143
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sacramento County, California
    Posts
    3,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1676
    Likes (Received)
    874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Vegas were trash, but as I said the only reasonably priced stock 4-banger at that time that could hit 100 mph. It was kind of a rule of thumb the average V-8 of the day was toast at 100k miles, a 4 cylinder 80k, the Vegas were dead at 60k.
    But wait! There's more. After I decided against the Vega, I bought a Pinto Station Wagon. It was a cute vehicle with great upholstery and paint. It was really a neat little vehicle and the wife and three kids fit in it nicely.

    The on'y problem was that I discovered that Ford was actually doing a marketing experiment. It was around 1974 and the gas crisis was going on. Apparently Ford engineers got the idea that they could save gas and get a lot of credit by designing a car that had exactly one horsepower more than the coefficient of friction. It was so slow, it could barely get out of its own way. Takeoffs were eternal, I'd guess two minutes for 0-60 mph. Top speed was 64 mph after five minutes.

    After a year of dodging other cars of the freeway, I sold it and got a larger used car with some horsepower. LOL.

  4. Likes Bobw liked this post
  5. #144
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    erie,pa
    Posts
    8,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15240
    Likes (Received)
    4080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    But wait! There's more. After I decided against the Vega, I bought a Pinto Station Wagon. It was a cute vehicle with great upholstery and paint. It was really a neat little vehicle and the wife and three kids fit in it nicely.

    The on'y problem was that I discovered that Ford was actually doing a marketing experiment. It was around 1974 and the gas crisis was going on. Apparently Ford engineers got the idea that they could save gas and get a lot of credit by designing a car that had exactly one horsepower more than the coefficient of friction. It was so slow, it could barely get out of its own way. Takeoffs were eternal, I'd guess two minutes for 0-60 mph. Top speed was 64 mph after five minutes.

    After a year of dodging other cars of the freeway, I sold it and got a larger used car with some horsepower. LOL.
    Ha...I have a bobcat 642 gas with the industrial version of that pinto engine.

    As it is lacking in power in the skid steer, I can imagine flying down the freeway,
    and turning on the AC would bring the car to a halt.

  6. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sacramento County, California
    Posts
    3,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1676
    Likes (Received)
    874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Ha...I have a bobcat 642 gas with the industrial version of that pinto engine.

    As it is lacking in power in the skid steer, I can imagine flying down the freeway,
    and turning on the AC would bring the car to a halt.
    Oh yeah. The AC on the Pinto worked nicely - if you were parked. It was terrible with the AC on when you were driving. There's a hill on the 405 Freeway going South from the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles. It was 35 mph max on that hill, even worse if you turned on the AC.

    Cute car, though.

  7. Likes digger doug liked this post
  8. #146
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beaverdam, Virginia
    Posts
    5,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    125
    Likes (Received)
    2172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Top speed was 64 mph after five minutes.
    After a year of dodging other cars of the freeway, I sold it and got a larger used car with some horsepower. LOL.

    Wow, I think that is the lowest top speed of a passenger car I have ever heard. I had a friend get a new 1979 Pinto two door sedan. It would do 80 mph, but it took forever to get there. That was pretty common for a 4 banger top speed of the era.

  9. #147
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    6,061
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1437
    Likes (Received)
    2361

    Default

    As I recall, Ford replaced the original Pinto engine with a little larger one. A girlfriend had a Pinto wagon, manual transmission, no A/C, and was very happy with it. She used it for a town runabout, little highway driving, mostly for when the weather took the fun out of driving her MGA. I have been told that there was a German made engine with better controlled cast iron that held up well.

    Bill


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •