What's new
What's new

Asking customers for feed back or to forecast work flow

troyk

Aluminum
How many of you ask your customers how things look to be shaping up in the next 6-8 months? Do you always get a response? Never? How pushy can you be as a supplier about getting info on upcoming projects? When you've quoted a nice job you know is going to be released soon how often do you try to contact them if they don't get back with you?

I am in the position where I have statred my own CNC machining business and am wondering what is a good way to get a feel for work to come from your current customers. I feel like it's in the best interest of both parties to be open about it so one can support the other and vice versa. If I've taken a good amount of time to quote a project I kinda expect at least a response or feed back. On the flip side you don't want to be pushy to the point you piss them off.

What say you?

I just picked up a MAJOR distributor (I already have several large ones, but not at this level), and they are starting to impact some of my assembly, material ordering, and lead times for my other customers.
I contacted the purchasing agent, and simply told him that I needed a general idea of what kind of volumes they are wanting. Since this is a new product for them, it is a lot like shooting in the dark for them, but they came back with some very good numbers that I feel are probably conservative.
Much better to start off on the right foot rather than disappoint them with late deliveries.

Lee (they saw guy)

The problem is that with JIT and 5S, almost all companies have thrown their crystal ball in the dumpster. So it has become impossible to get much of any forecast of things to come, I have tried, never had much luck.

Try to communicate with E mail whenever possible . No body likes to play phone tag if they can avoid it .
Send email with subject line as " Part # 1234 UPDATE "

Keep as short and concise as you can .

A common and subtle message is " please advise anticipated time line of this project .
We are working on next months work schedule and would appreciate adequate lead time for your parts . "

My good customers usually respond within the hour , and none of us lose time trying to answers questions on the spot .

Bob

The JIT stuff does seem likes it hurts in the way of forecasting for sure. Nice for the buyer but sometimes crappy for the manufacturer.

Thanks for the advice. Emailing does seem like a good way to communicate. It's something they can do at their convenience.

Thanks.

Back