easy drawing program - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am still using Design Cad 2D for DOS. When I need to send a drawing to a customer, I have a Windows version of the same and convert the drawing to PDF. I have some manuals for using the Windows, but when I try to draw in with it, I just sit there looking for the drawing commands for a while then quit. Never drew or modified anything with it.
    If anyone else has used Design CAD for DOS, how does it compare with the recommended ones so far. Ease of use, learning curve, precision and capability?
    Built a house and garage a few years ago and the architect still used a different DOS CAD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    .................................................. ..
    If anyone else has used Design CAD for DOS, how does it compare with the recommended ones so far. Ease of use, learning curve, precision and capability?
    .................................................. ..................
    I recall looking at Design CAD for DOS back in the day. Instead I chose Generic CAD (DOS). Generic CAD was popular, very easy to learn and use. It was so good that Autodesk bought it to shut it down because it was competing too much with Autocad Lite.

Generally, IMO at least, DOS programs don't have quite as nice a user interface and menu structure. But if Design CAD for DOS works for you keep it. It may not run if you buy a newer computer though.

The Generic CAD folks came out with a Windows version called VisualCADD. It has all the best features of Generic CAD plus more. It may be one of the best of the 2D CAD's available, except for the fact it runs around $500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A little more advanced program is "DesignSpark Mechanical, a 3D design software for non-CAD engineers." I've not had time to play much with it but it seems really intuitive and has a lot of nice features. Along with being FREE! Lot's of training video's for it out there also on the 'tube'.

4. Likes Alan Elzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    I recall looking at Design CAD for DOS back in the day. Instead I chose Generic CAD (DOS).

Generally, IMO at least, DOS programs don't have quite as nice a user interface and menu structure. But if Design CAD for DOS works for you keep it. It may not run if you buy a newer computer though.
    The Windows version still works after a fashion in this fairly new computer so I still can translate my DOS generated drawings to PDFs. The windows version was for 3.1 or Win95. I have to press Esc twice to get it to run in Win 10, no message appears on the screen to tell you that. I guess that is progress in the right direction though, had to press escape 3 times in Win 7.
    I still have spare motherboards and such to build new DOS computers so I should be good for a while longer. This dinosaur CAD has so many short cut keys that it makes drawing even to 7 decimal points a breeze when using a track ball.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I surely hope you are not specifying 7 decimal places in your drawings ... !

7. Likes Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I surely hope you are not specifying 7 decimal places in your drawings ... !"

No my eyes are not that good anymore! (Insert smiley here) Used to make the inspector mad when I would tell him how big a chamfer was to within a few thousanths with a scale.
    Sometimes the precision is needed to make arcs and angles work on the CNC programs. Rounding with 4 or 5 decimal points sometimes causes errors.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    "I surely hope you are not specifying 7 decimal places in your drawings ... !"

No my eyes are not that good anymore! (Insert smiley here) Used to make the inspector mad when I would tell him how big a chamfer was to within a few thousanths with a scale.
    Sometimes the precision is needed to make arcs and angles work on the CNC programs. Rounding with 4 or 5 decimal points sometimes causes errors.
    Wow, wait until you hear about parametric CAD!

Seriously though, you can virtualize a DOS machine and never have to worry about building a DOS pc again, just run it on any hardware and any modern OS. Makes backups super easy as well. Free VMWare player or other similar virtualization platforms make this straightforward, there is a lot of info online about it (like here, for example). You might even be able to find a ready made image that would be virtually plug and play.

Back to the original question though, I gotta say starting with Draftsight and moving into Fusion360 for 3D and CAM work seems like the way to go now. You're only handicapping yourself in the long term if you start with a no-longer-supported software platform.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"You're only handicapping yourself in the long term if you start with a no-longer-supported software platform."

Yeah, if I was starting from scratch going this old on program would not be smart. Just asked in case someone that had run this dinosaur CAD and found something that was as easy with similar short cut keys. I did talk to one of the techs in soft ware and he said when Windows came out Microsoft used a lot of their short cut keys so they were not able to use them also in a Windows version of the program. Probably why I can no draw in the Windows version.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'd suggest DraftSight as well unless you're looking to spend big bucks. It does a great job for being a free program

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    3D CAD is another matter and can be intimidating for beginners.
    AMEN to the 3d cad being intimidating, its weird when making gears is far easier than making a part extrude at a 45 deg angle, from another face.

Honestly just havent found the right tutorial, yet i have figured out how to draw all the peices to the q.c. gear box of my lathe including the splining, now getting them all into one drawing and as one usable componant, is a whole other story lol. One step at a time.

Lastly to the o.p. get fusion 360, it will have a learning cur e, but it's a top level software with tons of sub features, including cam.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had forgot about Design Cad, I used it I bet 18 years ago. I could do a lot faster work with it than I could with Auto Cad. I really liked it back then don't know how much its changed but I bet its still good. I have seats of Inventor and Sold Works now, I never paid my subscription for Sold Works this year I'm started doing everything in Inventor, I Can do the work much faster with Invertor, they both will do pretty well the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    If you want a really, and I mean really simple program it's hard to be Visio which is more of a "diagraming" software than CAD software. It will only do 2D and I will use it bofore I use Draftsight which would be my vote if you need more capability. However, if you get Visio DO NOT get a newer version, go on eBay and get maybe Visio 2007 professional (so you will have dimensioning). The new ones suck. I use it all the time for relatively simple CAD parts and it will make dxf files so you can have them laser, plasma, router-cut, etc.

The Dude
    Thnx. Draftsight not going very well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by carbonbl View Post
    Wow, wait until you hear about parametric CAD!
    Umm, I have a DOS parametric CAD from Computervision that is great fun to use