What's new
What's new

Employee Taskload and Aptitude

Radar987

Hot Rolled
What's your experience as far as suitable taskloading for employees at the operator level and below? We have no issues with setup guys and programmers switching gears as necessary. They have the fundamentals to figure things out and are compensated accordingly. Our more entry level employees require a lot of handholding when the taskloading gets high. As time passes, they also forget things that they were previously trained on, simple stuff like proper fixture cleaning procedures.

Is this a fundamentals issue? A machinist learns early on the importance of cleaning parts and tooling as well as applying proper torque and lubrication. Improper setup is seen immediately when they take an indicator to a fixture or a toolholder. Operators don't have these fundamentals.

Or is it aptitude? Some operators are overqualified and are on a clear upwards trajectory. But for others who are career operators, do they simply lack the aptitude to multitask beyond a certain point? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, it just is what it is. On one hand, I don't want these guys standing in front of one machine for years on end with no career advancement. On the other hand, I don't want to push them too far beyond their comfort zone to a point where they're failing at their job.

There's a difference between button pusher and machinist. We have gone through a bunch of button pushers where I'm at. When I was in the edm dept full time the managers would hire these joe blow guys off the street and give them months to learn the simplest things...seriously what we do is not hard lol. The hardest thing the ops do is indicate max 6" sticks 0/0 on 2 sides.

The managers asked a few times what I though was a reasonable "try out" time...my answer was always 2 weeks, if they can't grasp general machine setup and operation of 1 machine in 2 weeks then they are never going to get it. Normal work load was 4 machines, some guys did 6, I've run up to 13 at a time (has to be the right operations for that).

So, basic aptitude is key, then you can get them out of the comfort zone. But...it has to be done quick as you don't want them getting comfortable and latent on 1 machine and then feeling stressed when they have to run more.

What's your experience as far as suitable taskloading for employees at the operator level and below? We have no issues with setup guys and programmers switching gears as necessary. They have the fundamentals to figure things out and are compensated accordingly. Our more entry level employees require a lot of handholding when the taskloading gets high. As time passes, they also forget things that they were previously trained on, simple stuff like proper fixture cleaning procedures.

Is this a fundamentals issue? A machinist learns early on the importance of cleaning parts and tooling as well as applying proper torque and lubrication. Improper setup is seen immediately when they take an indicator to a fixture or a toolholder. Operators don't have these fundamentals.

Or is it aptitude? Some operators are overqualified and are on a clear upwards trajectory. But for others who are career operators, do they simply lack the aptitude to multitask beyond a certain point? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, it just is what it is. On one hand, I don't want these guys standing in front of one machine for years on end with no career advancement. On the other hand, I don't want to push them too far beyond their comfort zone to a point where they're failing at their job.
i was taught to follow a work instruction or procedure. usually a type of check list similar to airplane pilot checking things before taking off. not a problem if i have nothing. its called pencil and paper taking notes.
checklist is often 1 page and things important to not forget and usually in order of things to check. this way if i use a Fanuc machine a few years and then i go to use a Mazak i often can run with no help usually. really does not matter what type of machine.
almost every person who says he does not need a procedure or checklist makes mistakes sooner or later. i was taught as a apprentice if i showed up on job with no pad of paper and pencil i was to leave job site not come back til i had them. it usually has to be insisted on or taught when starting a job. after it becomes 2nd nature
greatest problem is working in a area where a old timer has nothing written down. he does everything from memory and often makes mistakes cause his memory not perfect. for example forget to check something too late to prevent a problem. that type of job i have to take notes and create a work procedure, work log, checklist . i do that often. boss has to insist senior machinist create procedures, logs, checklists. if boss does not, it is the boss who is wrong
when i run a cnc program i follow a excel worklog. a checklist but more a log of work as done like measurements at program M0 where i learn from experience. for example a warning at a test cut of a bored hole that the final cut is often .0005 bigger than test cut. not a problem making a mistake or missing a tolerance so much as it is very very bad to repeat the mistake. so the work log on a complex part may have 10 warnings of things to check or watch out for.
when i was a maintenance machinist i had to work on equipment used by a 100 other workers, if i made a mistake there was literally 100 people waiting for me to correct my mistake often causing $10,000's in lost production. boss had no problem me making a mistake but if i repeated a mistake that a simple checklist could have prevented i literally would have been demoted to less responsible job with pay cut instead of yearly pay raise. boss has to reward people who work smarter and not reward people who do not try to do better.
for example every machine should have a CAG or corrective action guidelines. many a big CNC has a 2000 page operator and maintenance manual. a CAG is if machine is not working things to test or trouble shoot. usually only a few pages but thats better than 2000 pages. no CAG's no problem i write them as i learn machines. worst is nothing written down machine cannot be run and then find out you hold 2 buttons in at same time then press 3rd button then machine runs.
boss has to insist old timers write stuff down. as if somebody new is hired a written instruction is created that can be followed with often no help needed. this has to be insisted by the boss. a ISO inspector who is honest will insist of this too. procedures, work instructions have to be created and followed
99.999% of time it is not the operators it is the boss who allows sloppiness or lack of procedures or instructions to go on. i had bosses come to me and tell me to write down instructions or orders on a pad of paper with pencil. if i did not have pad and pencil i was to go get one immediately and he would be pissed off and tell me thats unacceptable if i ever want a pay raise ever i better carry pad of paper and pencil at all times. i have carried a pad of paper and pencil now for 37 years

You might want to check into TWI (Training-Within-Industry); something that literally saved our country during WWII. The path on this road always leads to a consultant or other professional but you can "DIY" it (you'll likely get 50-80% of the benefit for 5-10% of the cost since ultimately you're having to implement this yourself).

As an additional note though, it is so important to start off with training early and to be consistent. It is so much harder to replace "bad" habits with "good" than to just put good ones in place at the beginning. Bottom line (I've used this before): If you think training your employees is expensive, then you should see how expensive it is to not train them.

Good luck,
The Dude

Back