Employees dictating when they will work. - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Absolutely.
    And very fair, and usually pre-reserved/arranged for those available to answer.

And if not, I would as the boss call any of the top technicians, even on weekends.
    And on their personal numbers/phones.
    And every single one of these calls meant $$ / cash box ching and free time to the one answering the phone.
    And every single one was free to tell me "not now" for whatever reason.

But no-one else could call them, or have the numbers. This is critical.
    A senior executive -me at that time- might call you for help.
    Fair enough.
    And then You get properly compensated for it (good money).

And everyone was asked in advance, and told it is kind of expected to provide advice, if you can, when you can, at 200%++ salary in emergencies only.
    Almost all engineers were extremely happy to do so practically always.

One might (very very rare) make 4-6 hours work time, on a sunday, via telephone. My case. Another biz. Still.
    5 x 30 x 300% = 450 $.

My POV.
    As both a co-worker and an executive manager.
    I never ever want to bother someone on their weekend.
    But if we must, and really need your skills, then it is fair for me to ask, and for You to decide.

It is ALSO fair for You to (sometimes) state this needs extra cash (==200% more x the 300% sunday extra). Maybe You are fishing with your kids, at the cottage, family affairs, whatever. All are valid at *your* discretion.
    My POV:
    If I call on anyone as an expert to fix anything on sundays/etc esp. on-site physically ..
    it is a major issue from the customer and they will pay accordingly- potentially-typically saving in the terms of tens of thousands.
    I always paid 600-1200$+ to the worker(s) per incident.

This resulted on mostly-everyone being happy to fix my emergencies, including at 3 am while needing taxi transport cause they could not drive.
    Problems appeared after some were expecting the 2000$ bonus when they had not had calls or done the work on weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Some companies actually pay you some fixed fee if you have to pick up your phone during your free days or on the middle of the night. I mark half an hour for every phone call outside office hours. Its not much if you NEED the info but it also keeps no-nonsense phone calls at minimum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

+Excellent.
    Business is driven by businessmen, mostly like the small biz people here.
    60%+ of all jobs/hires are done by the small-biz guys.

My take:
    I have found it surprisingly easy to get to talk to the mayor of the city, local gov. president, and regional president or the equivalent managing director of the local water/electric/internet authority including the national governor for same.
    Most of them ..
    are smart, driven, .. and have very few real clever entrepreneurs to talk to.

Ime most of the top politicians are actually smart, nice, and will really try to help You .. when You are not begging for handouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolroomguy View Post
    I have met with the Governor twice.
    Its amazing to talk to a politician who thinks business is something to be encouraged, instead of something you latch on to ,leach like, to suck money out of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Toolroomguy View Post
    I have met with the Governor twice.
    Its amazing to talk to a politician who thinks business is something to be encouraged, instead of something you latch on to ,leach like, to suck money out of.
    You mean like our old Danish governor, Jim Doyle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I was going to doubt what you wrote about the unemployment percentage but found this.

unemployment percent in wisconsin - Google Search

Must admit I was (pleasantly) surprised. What on Earth has happened the past 7 years?
    And in the county we are located we are seeing an unemployment rate of 2.3%.