What's new

Exoskeletons in the Workplace

• Thread starter Ox
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 4,128

Ox

Diamond
I saw one article come through about exo's. I breezed through it, looked at the pretty pictures, and read the captions. Looked interesting. But not interesting enough to read all the text. I git the pigture.... So I put that mag down.

Pic up the next one, only to find the cover feature is _ what (?) Exoskeletons.... :skep:

Now some of these mags are ran by the same people, and it's not abnormal to find the same - or almost the same writ in a sister pub a cpl months later, but at the same time?

Turns out - near as I can tell, these two pubs have completely different parent companies, and the writ's have only concept, not content the same. So I read most of the 2nd one.

One thing to pick up on before you turn the page, is that a price tag of $5g was tossed out there. (Not $6M in bionics)
Not sure if that was today's cost, or expected pricing in 2 years, or ???? .. but it seems as tho this may be a viable concept in the not so distant future.

I found that the online writs have more and prettier pics, and even some vids.

Exo Strategy: Preventing Pain Points with Exoskeletons | New Equipment Digest

Exoskeletons Lend a Lift at Ford | 218-3-2 | Assembly Magazine

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I saw one article come through about exo's. I breezed through it, looked at the pretty pictures, and read the captions. Looked interesting. But not interesting enough to read all the text. I git the pigture.... So I put that mag down.

Pic up the next one, only to find the cover feature is _ what (?) Exoskeletons.... :skep:

Now some of these mags are ran by the same people, and it's not abnormal to find the same - or almost the same writ in a sister pub a cpl months later, but at the same time?

Turns out - near as I can tell, these two pubs have completely different parent companies, and the writ's have only concept, not content the same. So I read most of the 2nd one.

One thing to pick up on before you turn the page, is that a price tag of $5g was tossed out there. (Not $6M in bionics)
Not sure if that was today's cost, or expected pricing in 2 years, or ???? .. but it seems as tho this may be a viable concept in the not so distant future.

I found that the online writs have more and prettier pics, and even some vids.

Exo Strategy: Preventing Pain Points with Exoskeletons | New Equipment Digest

Exoskeletons Lend a Lift at Ford | 218-3-2 | Assembly Magazine

-------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

1) osha would not like it. heavy items dropped rolling bouncing hitting a person can easily break legs. think crushed steel toes when metal is bent damage can be worse to a person. recharging or energy supply is no easy matter unless walking with a trailing power cord, compressed air supply, etc
2) i have used lifts to help balance heavy items to assemble parts. even a air cylinder used to lift part they worry about what if air line broke and load suddenly fell. with balance type lift if it has handle so operator 3 feet away it does help if load did drop bounce suddenly at least operator is 3 feet away
3) normal air hoist chainfall on swinging post trolley crane i easily pick smaller 100lb to 2 ton items everyday. flipping parts in general can be more safely done if operator not too close like at least 3 feet away. when a ton hanging from crane starts swinging in general better a person stays away from it. to try to sudden stop it will easily push a person like a rag doll even if in a exoskelton that weighed another 200lbs

If I paid attention to the exoskeleton article I read recently (New Equipment Digest? Machine Design?), these things are totally passive. They serve two main functions:
  • Spring-loaded load balancer, anchored on your hips rather than an overhead beam or a table top.
  • Prevent you from overextending/overrotating joints
We are not talking about Ripley's power loader here. And it's too soon for OSHA to have made up its mind, but early indications are that OSHA will love them as they directly address a large source of workplace injuries.

If I paid attention to the exoskeleton article I read recently (New Equipment Digest? Machine Design?), these things are totally passive. They serve two main functions:
  • Spring-loaded load balancer, anchored on your hips rather than an overhead beam or a table top.
We are not talking about Ripley's power loader here. And it's too soon for OSHA to have made up its mind, but early indications are that OSHA will love them as they directly address a large source of workplace injuries.
i use various crane and balances to move heavy items. never a good ideal for a person to be too close to heavy items being lifted. falling items bouncing items obviously some distance between person and heavy object helps
inertia is not something to be ignored. 2 ton item swinging from a crane can easily push a person like a rag doll. even 200lb item when it rarely falls and bounces never a good ideal to get in the way. i had a knee go sideways once trying to stop a 200lb item on a plastic cart that hit groove in floor and whole thing started to tip over. i had messed a knee for over a month trying to stop heavy item falling and only took a second to do damage to my leg

Tom, most of these exoskeletons are for supporting things like a power screwdriver or an impact wrench overhead, not hauling a pallet around. Basically for taking the strain off your muscles and joints for hand tools.

I think we've been working our way towards this for years with increasing use of elbow and knee braces, "lift" belts and so on. A lot of it is driven by insurers who wish to reduce the risk of expensive injuries.

How many of us are old enough to remember when things like safety glasses, ear plugs and safety toe shoes were neither common nor required? (My hand is raised)

How many of us are old enough to remember when things like safety glasses, ear plugs and safety toe shoes were neither common nor required? (My hand is raised)

Wait! What? Safety glasses, ear plugs and safety toe shoes are required????????? Does this mean I have to quit working after doing without for 64 years????? And stay home with the wife all day?????? Shoot me now.

Wait! What? Safety glasses, ear plugs and safety toe shoes are required????????? Does this mean I have to quit working after doing without for 64 years????? And stay home with the wife all day?????? Shoot me now.

Required in most shops at companies with more than a handful of employees. As I said, often a requirement by insurers.

Speaking of insurers, it is amazing how many companies are unaware of requirements like dual signatures on large checks. I've seen several cases where people were surprised by details like that that were part of policies they signed on for. Break the insurer's rules and you could be on the hook instead of them.

the safety requirements when a load is overhead or near are different than when your not.
most powered lifting devices the power supply and if it fails what happens is important. on overhead loads they ask what if hose breaks or electric power turns off. like using a magnetic base drill overhead. usually needs to be chained so it dont fall if power turns off.
if exoskeleton fails in anyway will it cause a injury ?? just saying most stuff like that you got to think what a lawyer will say if somebody got hurt.

Are you unaware of how OSHA works?

They will go Giddy with all the new regulations they can impose!
Their function is MORE growth in more regulations.. MORE Fines and intrusions.
Safety? Safety? It is all about more power, and more departments.

Back