What's new
What's new

Customs broker

TFPace

Stainless
I would appreciate a member recommending a customs broker as well as on ocean freight broker for a LCL order.

I'm trying to gather what sort of money my freight and duties will be in shipping an item from Europe to the east coast of USA.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

We sometimes use C.H. Robinson for this type of stuff. As I type this, I notice a banner ad for them above the quick reply box.

-Jim

if it's your first time importing via ship be prepared for up to twice as much as the original "estimate" will be in total expenses for brokerage and all the crazy "inspections" and "scans" they do on ship freight. Air Freight isn't so bad with most companies, even though that's quite the nice racket they are all running in collusion with each other, but shipping freight for me was a whole new ballgame in getting taken to the cleaners!

Ask the seller to quote you the shipping DDU or even better DDP
Not CIF port
That way the broker involved is working for the forwarder who shipped it Not you
You as a one time customer will get nailed
And with DDP you know what to pay in advance With DDU you can figure it out by calling customs I suppose

Peter

Not CIF port
That way the broker involved is working for the forwarder who shipped it Not you
And with DDP you know what to pay in advance With DDU you can figure it out by calling customs I suppose

Peter
Peter,

This makes a lot of sense.
The last thing I need is to get hustled on this deal.

Thanks,

Tom

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The last 20ft container I imported ran about $1600 door to door by ocean. LCL's seem to average about $1200, a bit less if I pickup at the customs warehouse myself. One thing I learned in importing, every middleman along the way has their hand out for money, even the CBP.
I could let you know the groups I use, if you like. They have offices on the west coast, not sure about the east coast though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be interested in what you discover, I am trying to get a DSG 13 x 30 shipped from the uk to Rhode Island, cheapest door to door including crating I have found is $3,800 even though another firm who do not crate or collect quoted $480 for the shipping.

Not CIF port

Peter

What does DDP, DDU and CIF stand for?

Back