What's new
What's new

Finding New Customers

Ox

Diamond
I was going to top the recent thread, and then I remembered that someone locked it.... :toetap:

There has been a couple things that have popped up lately that brought this to mind, and so I am passing along.

The first one is the Nebraska Products Show in Lincoln, Nebraska. I don't know if this is open to outsiders (to display) or not?

The second is the Design to Part trade shows.

I have never been to either of these, but thought that I would pass it along.

------------------------

I am Ox and I approve this h'yah post!

I don't think I've ever been to a trade show where I didn't get back wiser and with something useful including contacts.

The important thing is to know in advance what's "on offer" and plan accordingly. Otherwise you can risk drifting around with very sore feet. Time of day is also important to avoid the worst crowds.

I have been to one "D2P" show. It was definitely worthwhile for buyers who purchase from a variety of specialties; I don't recall seeing much traditional machining capabilities there. Seemed like kind of a gamble from the exhibitor side; you would be hoping that enough leads that led to sales came out of it to more than cover your cost. That was based on attending one show about 4 years ago; hopefully it's gotten much more diverse.

The Dude

D2P shows do bring in a lot of traffic.Not as much MDM shows do but still pretty good shows .But they are a little spendy.If you check around your areas most chamber of commerce.Have small cheaper 1 day shows.Its a good place to get your feet wet if you never have done trade shows.

I bought a booth at a D2P show last year and it worked out pretty well. I can't remember the exact amount but it was around $4-5k for a 10x10 which I thought was too expensive but I ended up getting some good customers out of it. I found my main advantage was that I was a local vendor because most of the vendors there seemed to be from different parts of the country.

Walking a trade show : Smart
Buying a booth and attending a trade show : Waste of money

In these parts our big trade show is OTC
it is like 50-100K to get a booth etc... You can hire a decent sales guy for that number.

Face time with people + some sort of technical sales background and you will generate some interest/business.

I used to do 5 to 7 trade shows a year as a vendor. Cost about 5k per show so I learned how to work it. Most business contacts were actually made after hours in the hotel bars and such. Early on I spoke with tons of potential customers but got few orders. Then I started focusing more on getting to know potential customers by engaging them for as long as they wanted. After that I was selling about $100K per show.
I now walk the D2P and MDM shows and always have found new products tool or vendors at each show. I will likely start exhibiting at a show next year as well.

Back