What's new
What's new

Gloves, Drill Presses and Bent Bits

HurleyByrd

Aluminum
I came across these two items this afternoon, lodged in the back of a drawer.

Many years ago in my wood shop during a COLD winter........ I thought I could get away with a cotton glove on the drill press. Here is that result and some may wish to share with others.

Luckily the drill press was a small 3/4hp unit and I didn't break anything..... but I was sore for several days. If this were a 3hp press...... I might not be typing this day..... at least typing with two hands. 5/16" Brad Point Wood Bit.

Glove_Bent_Bit_Picture.jpg

Be Well..... BE SAFE!
Pete

I'm glad you came out of it with all of your digits. Good on you.

People take safety for granted. I remember a poster in a shop years ago that said, "You can walk with a wooden leg. You can eat with false teeth. But you can't see with a glass eye".

Good point about drill press safety.

PS: Love you avatar. "The bronze kill our pride"

When I was starting in machining I saw a young man lose his thumb when a big countersink snagged his glove.... Made a lasting impression on me.. But now some young people think the thin mechanix type gloves are safe..

gloves are a bad thing around spinning tools. lucky is didnt do any more damage. If 3/4hp can do that kind of stuff, im sure the one i have thats 10hp will really tear stuff up.

The only gloves I wear around spinning things are made of latex or nitrile, and they're thin enough to see through.

Long time ago, I was countersinking a bunch of holes. I thought latex gloves were so thin and weak they wouldn't be a problem. Well, was I wrong. Got it caught and wrapped my arm around the spindle. Luckily it was a small benchtop drill press.

NO GLOVES, whatsoever.

I remember a friend of mine years ago was using an old drill press in my other friends shop. He was wearing a light blue denim work shirt and because it was hotter than the hinges of hell he had the shirt tails out. I was walking out of the shop, said see ya later and once I halfway exited the door turned around( 3 secs. max). I all of a sudden noticed that my friend was standing there with no shirt on. It got caught in the spindle and was immediately removed from him. He credited it to the fact that the shirt was real old and thread bare. Had it been a shirt in good condition it would have be bad ... real bad.

The people I have met with fingers missing always tell me what happened.
Their story always starts with "You see, I was wearing gloves and.............."
Glad your ok.

I remember a friend of mine years ago was using an old drill press in my other friends shop. He was wearing a light blue denim work shirt and because it was hotter than the hinges of hell he had the shirt tails out. I was walking out of the shop, said see ya later and once I halfway exited the door turned around( 3 secs. max). I all of a sudden noticed that my friend was standing there with no shirt on. It got caught in the spindle and was immediately removed from him. He credited it to the fact that the shirt was real old and thread bare. Had it been a shirt in good condition it would have be bad ... real bad.
My Dad was drilling holes at his job.. Drill caught his long sleeve, and started wrapping up. As luck had it, he wore clothes til they fell apart ( I do the same), and the shirt ripped away at the shoulder.. Saved him from a serious injury..

Long time ago, I was countersinking a bunch of holes. I thought latex gloves were so thin and weak they wouldn't be a problem. Well, was I wrong. Got it caught and wrapped my arm around the spindle. Luckily it was a small benchtop drill press.

NO GLOVES, whatsoever.
I work with a guy who has several screwed up knuckles from latex gloves wrapping his fingers around a drill shank in a hand held drill motor.

When I was starting in machining I saw a young man lose his thumb when a big countersink snagged his glove.... Made a lasting impression on me.. But now some young people think the thin mechanix type gloves are safe..

Countersinks seem to be the most dangerous type of drill ,I have definitely had more near misses with those than anything else.

I tell everyone who works for me "Grease and oil wash off, cuts heal, missing digits do not grow back. wear gloves when you are cleaning or welding, not around machine tools."

I was a bridgeport operator at a build shop and a machine builder started running a bridgeport with gloves on. I think he tried knocking a chip off the end mill and luckily it ripped the glove off his hand. Idiot put another set of gloves on and continued running the bridgeport. Im sure he has learned the hard way by now.

At another shop a guy got his glove wrapped up in the drill press, cut his hand up on the drill bit.

Woman was running a radial arm drill at my brothers shop and got her glove caught and ripped her arm off, he said it was pretty bad

Another guy at my brother shop ground his fingers off on a big round disk sander. Was a saw guy and got his gloves caught up and sucked in between the disk and table.

Woman was running a radial arm drill at my brothers shop and got her glove caught and ripped her arm off, he said it was pretty bad

I can't imagine a situation where it wouldn't be pretty bad!

Last edited:
...Another guy at my brother shop ground his fingers off on a big round disk sander...

I am not a machinist. I own a wood products manufacturing business that has a small machine shop for tooling, etc....

The NUMBER 1 cause of minor physical hurts here is........... the edge sander (belt sander). It runs an 80 or 100 grit belt and those belts take a fraction of a second to remove skin and a fraction of a second more to remove some meat. New guys always holler out ...... "ouch"... "SHIT".... "OOOhhhhh" over that hurt. And yes it hurts like a Mother!!!! I do it at least once a month and have for a decade and a half.

Pete

Count me as a true believer in the NO GLOVES camp. Watching your hand being reeled into a high speed chuck is a sight you will not forget. For the record, I was wearing thin, disposable, latex gloves.
Mike

As an apprentice, I was always taught to never tuck your shirt in. Hot chips go down, and you do the dance.... most old timers know the "oh shit" shuffle....

Myself, being quite wide in the shoulders, XXL t shirts fit nicely, however my 34" waist leaves a pile of slack around the belly.

I used to spend a lot of time bent over the bridgeports. I had an incident with a power feed one day, while it was rapiding the table out of the way, and I was reaching from the right hand side to change out a tool.
Bloody power feed tangled up my shirt in one hell of a hurry, sucked my belly real tight and was smashing into my hip something terrible.

I did my best hulk hogan impression and was free of it. Work the rest of the day with no shirt.
Good thing none of the fairer sex were around, or nothing would have gotten done that afternoon ;)

I now tuck my shirt in. I also typically only run enclosed cncs now, so meh.

Cheers, and stay safe boys!

A young man I TRIED to mentor was insistent on wearing gloves around drills. One day I scolded him about the gloves...His Reply I will never forget. "I am smart enough and fast enough that I can't get hurt... Accidents just happen to stupid old people like you" (referring to me)... Fortunately, he moved on to better opportunities... Sad part is, he was smart and had potential, but the nasty attitude made him untrainable.

Back