What's new
What's new

Help! receiving less than minimum wage

jedpettitt100

Plastic
Hi I am an entry level machinist in Visalia California. I have learned a lot in the few months I've been here. However I just checked into my bank account because it's direct deposit and I am getting less than minimum wage. State and local minimum wage is $11 a company that has less than 26 employees must pay $10.50 I would fall in that category, I am receiving $10/h. Is this legal? How should I approach the situation? Should I look into another shop before talking to the boss in case he just let's me go? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My wife has direct deposit and it only shows the amount deposited, not the paystub.
Are you accounting for all the withholdings?

I suggest you go file a grievance with your shop steward. BTW, how do you know your boss isn't a member of this forum. Think about it, how many machine shops can there be in Visalia paying trainees $10 an hour. Not going to be too hard to figure out who you are.

How should I approach the situation?

I thought it was required to have a printed paper on the wall explaining all that stuff. The sheet of paper is supposed to come from the state. Describes your rights as a worker and compensation rates, etc. There would be contact information. Start from there. Visit another shop and see what they post on the walls. A break room or hallway is probably where it would be.

Minimum wage is before taxes and insurance. Check your paystub before going any further.

Bingo! Your bank account will only reflect net. Didn't they teach you about the difference between gross and net pay in High School?

Take a deep breath... I would probably go talk to my supervisor in a calm and reasonable fashion and ask about my pay and if we could look over my pay stub and have it explained to me. You are young and just starting out, no need to fly off the handle or puff your chest. I am in no way recommending getting taken advantage of, just that you approach the situation with a calm level head.

nicely ask if they can tell how to access your pay stub info. If doing direct deposit, afaik you're suppose to provide a way for employees to log on and d/l paystub info.

What rate did they tell when you were hired? If it turns out they are paying more than minimum wage, are you going suggest they reduce it?

"Boss, I really don't know wtf I'm making, but damn it I want a reduction"

:D

I went to the office to ask for a printed pay stub. It confirmed rate is $10. I did agree to starting off at minimum but what that means was never specifically explained. Clearly it is not the end of the world I just want to make sure I'm not being wronged and if I am how to go about it in a professional manner.

Quick google search shows the following exceptions, no idea if they apply to you

"There are some employees who are exempt from the minimum wage law, such as outside salespersons, individuals who are the parent, spouse, or child of the employer, and apprentices regularly indentured under the State Division of Apprenticeship Standards.

Minimum Wage Order (MW-2017)
There is an exception for learners, regardless of age, who may be paid not less than 85 percent of the minimum wage rounded to the nearest nickel during their first 160 hours of employment in occupations in which they have no previous similar or related experience."

I just want to make sure I'm not being wronged and if I am how to go about it in a professional manner.

i would mention politely to you supervisor that thought minimum wage was $10.50 from the gov web site, you're being paid $10, could he/she please look into it and let you know. It looks like it just went up in jan, so if they don't have a lot of min wage employees maybe they didn't noticed. They should give you the increase from when it went up, but don't go in guns blazing, just ask if they can look into it and see what happens

Okay I will kindly ask about it. Possibly I am being paid as an apprentice or "learner" in that case how long is someone a inexperienced learner? 1 year?

I'm amazed they can find anyone for $10/hr. I can't get anyone to show up for work for that rate around here. An entry level electrician's apprentice with zero experience makes $15/hr. The people mowing the lawn make $12.

You are getting a lot of answers from out of state people. Ok. First find out what the CALIFORNIA state laws are before talking about the pay. It might not be an issue.

BTW: the minimum wage is supposed to increase each year until it is $15/hr in 2022. This year it is $11/hr.

This is just a starting wage, its normal in this trade but if you work really really hard at it, learn all you can, don't screw up too many parts or crash machines, in 10 to 20 years of stressing out on complicated tight tolerance sh*t everyday(cause that's where the $ is), you can look forward to a wage you can almost live on. All the crap you'll have breathed in and all the body aches are just a bonus.

If you want more $ you'll have to pick a more skilled career, like serving coffee or mowing lawns, they can't do that from china, yet anyway.

When you say entry level machinist do you mean that you've had some kind of training before starting there or are you a total rookie? If it's the second case I wouldn't worry too much about the $0.50/hour difference. You're getting valuable training and that's worth something.

Your goal should be to acquire marketable skills and you can re-evaluate your situation at six months and one year before making a decision to move on. Those are the normal evaluation periods where a trainee would see some pay increase.

Unless the job is unbearable I wouldn't leave too early as it makes you look unreliable. In any case if and when you change jobs secure the new job before giving notice and never badmouth a previous employer.

This is just a starting wage, its normal in this trade but if you work really really hard at it, learn all you can, don't screw up too many parts or crash machines, in 10 to 20 years of stressing out on complicated tight tolerance sh*t everyday(cause that's where the $ is), you can look forward to a wage you can almost live on. All the crap you'll have breathed in and all the body aches are just a bonus.

If you want more $ you'll have to pick a more skilled career, like serving coffee or mowing lawns, they can't do that from china, yet anyway.

Or maybe a hot dog cart?

Back