How To Deal With Your Scrap Metal - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Man, the USA sure is a widely differing place.
    We have had laws here regarding selling scrap for ten or fifteen years at least that are WAAY tighter than what most of you describe- they have been around for so long that we all consider them completely normal.

I have had scrapyards call me up and ask me if something was mine- it was, it was stolen from a pallet in front of the waterjet cutter's shop- because they routinely hold suspicious stuff, and call the police, too.

Read the current law here- it would eliminate most of the shenanigans that you seem to live with-

"SB5312 and RCW19.60 will require the following for recordsby recyclers:
    • Date, time, value, location, and signature of seller.
    • Name of employee purchasing the material.
    • Name, Address, Phone Number, of customer selling material.
    • License Plate, and State of which it was issued, and descriptionof vehicle.
    • Current Valid Driver's License or other Government Issued I.D.card number, -or- a photocopy of thatcurrent driver's license or equivalent.
    • A description of the material sold, plus YOU MUST INCLUDETHE ISRI's code word, or equivalent along with your descriptionof the material. Example.: Yellow Brass - HONEY RadiatorsOCEANe t c. .

What you can & cannot buy, and from who:
    • Recyclers can not buy any non-ferrous metal property fromanyone without a current government I.D.
    • Recyclers can not buy any commercial metal property' fromanyone who does not have a commercial account with the recycler,prove ownership with written documentation, or showdocumentation that the seller is a employee of a business authorizedto sell this kind of material.
    • Recyclers can no longer buy burnt copper wire, unless you providewritten documentation of a 'legal burn'.
    • Recyclers can no longer buy kegs from anyone, except a breweryor keg manufacture.
    • Recyclers cannot buy materials from the same customer morethan once per day.

You cannot buy scrap metal from anyone with the followingconvictions on their criminal record within the past 10 years:
    • Any crimes involving drugs.
    • Any crimes involving burglary.
    • Any crimes involving robbery.
    • Any crimes involving theft.
    • Any "Possession of" or "Receiving of" Stolen Property.
    • Any "manufacturing, delivering, or possessing with intent todeliver methamphetamine, or possession of ephedrine or any ofit's salts or isomers, or salts of isomers, pseudo ephedrine, orany of it's salts, or isomers, or salts of isomers, or anhydrousammonia with intent to manufacture methamphetamine"
    • Whether the person is acting in his or her behalf, or as the agentof another"

and here, if its over 30 bucks, they are required to MAIL you a check. No cash. No cash, ever, its always a check, under 30 bucks you can get one right now, over, its in the mail.
    I do get a pass on some of this because my recycler is also my new steel supplier, and I have an account, so, with ID, they will actually give me a check for over 30$ at the time, because they have all my info, including bank financials, on file. But walk ins, forget it- they check id, and they mail checks.
    This cuts down on a lot, although of course not all, of malicious scrap stealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

• Any "manufacturing, delivering, or possessing with intent todeliver methamphetamine, or possession of ephedrine or any ofit's salts or isomers, or salts of isomers, pseudo ephedrine, orany of it's salts, or isomers, or salts of isomers, or anhydrousammonia with intent to manufacture methamphetamine"
    A) No drug charges
    B) No theft charges

What's with all the fat?

I have a commercial account and the lady at the desk knows me and asks about my wife (says she hasn't seen her come in in quite some time - How is she?) but still they started copying my ID this last couple of years.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the recyclers around here would go out of business if it weren't for all the bottles and cans the meth addicts bring in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox View Post
    A) No drug charges
    B) No theft charges

What's with all the fat?

I have a commercial account and the lady at the desk knows me and asks about my wife (says she hasn't seen her come in in quite some time - How is she?) but still they started copying my ID this last couple of years.

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

its a state law- lawyers write em. the real law is actually a LOT fatter. that was just the synopsis for the average joe.
    they always ask for my ID, and copy it, even though I have had an account with them for 22 years, here.

5. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The yard I'm taking chips to now was ready to pay me, asked if I wanted cash. Was over $1000. I said a check was OK, he looked at me funny, and said "I have the cash if you need it" I said I'd rather have the check, he shrugged and went to get the checkbook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    What you can & cannot buy, and from who:
    • Recyclers can not buy any non-ferrous metal property fromanyone without a current government I.D.

You cannot buy scrap metal from anyone with the followingconvictions on their criminal record within the past 10 years:
    Short rant on.

But go ahead and let them vote............................. Seems racist to me. Think of all those poor folks w/o legal IDs.

Rant off.

8. Likes Mud, digger doug, Ox, SND, allloutmx and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    The yard I'm taking chips to now was ready to pay me, asked if I wanted cash. Was over $1000. I said a check was OK, he looked at me funny, and said "I have the cash if you need it" I said I'd rather have the check, he shrugged and went to get the checkbook.
    Sounds like you just found one of the yards to call when more of your stuff goes "missing".

10. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Sounds like you just found one of the yards to call when more of your stuff goes "missing".
    True. They were purchased and reopened recently, are located on a city street within walking distance of the 'hood'. There's a sign at the entrance - "No scrap received not arriving in a vehicle."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    True. They were purchased and reopened recently, are located on a city street within walking distance of the 'hood'. There's a sign at the entrance - "No scrap received not arriving in a vehicle."
    So they are dealing in stolen cars now too ?....

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah,same laws here...surprising how all the nonferrous theft still going on,and all the tales of small mobile scrappies swapping copper for ice......I have to have a govt ID no,mainly to ID me to the tax dept,and when I asked for a check ,cause of all the lowlifes hanging round the yard,they looked at me kinda funny......still last payment was $1200 for a bin of steel,so selling my junk is now my main income.........funny though,the state govt refused to regulate scrap for years.....until some scrappies stole copper bond straps from the suburban rail network ,and put it out of action for days.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When scrap was at the all time high, over in Philadelphia, people were cutting down live wires. They showed it on the news and made it highly illegal. So... Money>Jail>Dying ??

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
    So... Money>Jail>Dying ??
    Or Stupid>Crime>Electric chair equivalent

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think that I've heard too many "Stoopid Metal Thief" stories since the scrap drive of '08?

I have tons of Heavy Melt that I would like to purge if another surge comes along...
    It's come up 20% in the last cpl of months, but still only $240/Gross.
    Back then it was fetchin' >$400.
    Kind'a makes real world values hard to git used to aggin .....

Also - it seems that Heavy isn't as coveted as it once was.
    All these new mini-mills must be wanting "bailing" material as that seems to be the new king these days.

Is USS the only once melting "Heavy" anymore?

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Well, I denote that on my income list (separate it out) and
    I thought that's what he said he wanted.

Will have to check with him again.

I wonder if maybe you don't hafta pay SS on it?
    (Like rental properties, stock trades, and such?)

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bunch of scrappies going over the "Gateway bridge" one sees a big bit of cable lying in the road,opens door to lean out......instant radiator mascot on Kenny.......another bunch stealing copper from railway,loaded truck cant get out of track........no piece of truck that cant be lifted by two men after train hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Bunch of scrappies going over the "Gateway bridge" one sees a big bit of cable lying in the road,opens door to lean out......instant radiator mascot on Kenny.......another bunch stealing copper from railway,loaded truck cant get out of track........no piece of truck that cant be lifted by two men after train hit.
    Ha.
    Take a look in Google Images under "metal thieves burned". There are lots of pictures of burned off fingers and total crispy critters who failed "Electricity 101", you know, the part where you turn off the power before messing with the wires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    For steel I just throw it in the steel pile they got, don't even weigh it, a few weeks ago I had probably 30-40lbs of HSS bits/drills/taps and such, called to see if there was a price for HSS, got told its just steel for a cent a pound or whatever, so I dumped that there too. So if you get steel plate/bar with some hss bits in there, you're welcome.
    Flat rate boxes and ebay
    guys'll buy that junk up, was getting $50 per small flat rate box, packed with MT1 drills, half of them broke or burnt up, right in the advert

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My yard has a roll-off out by the road where anyone can drop anything off for free.
    They have it labeled as "Toys for Tots" or whatever charity....

-----------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Newman109 View Post
    Ha.
    Take a look in Google Images under "metal thieves burned". There are lots of pictures of burned off fingers and total crispy critters who failed "Electricity 101", you know, the part where you turn off the power before messing with the wires.
    Here's a story of that very thing from today no less.....
    2 electrocuted at substation in Detroit | Fox News

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dkmc View Post
    Here's a story of that very thing from today no less.....
    2 electrocuted at substation in Detroit | Fox News

2 less customers for our local meth labs..

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox