What's new
What's new

How much should this person be paid

wasteland16354

Plastic
Hi everyone!

The company I work for has a person working there that know all most every job and is Tool & Die. The product the company makes has over 200 operations a lot of them are hand operations. This person does the R&D, design, prototyping, die design, production process development, die making, forging D-2 for coining operation, test heat treating of SS, carbon, ATS-34,and D-2 steels(this is done in a old muffler furnace and oil quench and a air hose), outsourcing to laser companies when needed, patternmaking, and all tooling for production of the product (fixtures, jigs, etc..). This person is only being paid $10 dollars an hour, and I would like hear what you think this person should be paid. Oh, I almost forgot this person also has certifate in hyd., pnumatics, and electrical. This from time to time also does machine maint. and repair.

The company has seven departments, and this person know them each, they go as following: pressroom, D-11 (all drilling, marking, milling), D-20 (grinding), D-30 (Covers and routing, spot welding), D-40 (Ground part finishing), D-50 (Assembly), D-60 (Shaping and buffing), D-70 (Inspection).

I interesting to hear your input and please feel free to ask questions on anything that is unclear.

Thanks

Honestly there isn't enough info to say. Sounds like he knows the in and out of his job BUT is he a PITA, does he show up late, sick allot? drink? smoke every 10min? More to it than just a hard worker.

I think he is worth whatever he is willing to work for, because that's how much he feels he is worth. I wouldnt let myself get taken advantage of and it would be well known to the people that matter.

This person always on time, never misses a day, and don't drink or smoke. The company's highest pay rate is $10 dollars an hour.

This person could try striking out on this person's own. When you're on your own "how much should I be paid" is a moot point - you make whatever you can scratch up minus expenses, not a penny more or less.

Does seem a little low, though. I'd give ya at least $10.35 =)

If you are the employer, you should ask the employee what they think is a fair compensation -- you may be surprised at the answer, but you will never know unless you ask.

If you are the employee, and feel you are not compensated fairly, you should clearly state what you think is a fair amount of compensation and ask for it. Compensation can come in many forms (salary, company ownership (stock), time off, allowed overtime, etc).

I'm in NM where a salaried manager of a gas station/convenience store is only making $8.50 an hour. Then again, we pay our cleaning guy $12.50 an hour, and he works his ass off for us.

Then again.... there is something to be said for a comfortable work environment. At least you know how much it sucks and are prepared for the suckiness each and every day. Getting a few more bucks an hour and starting out on the bottom of the totem pole (seniority and benefit wise) can suck. A whole new place with different suckitude just might not be worth it for some people, from a mental health standpoint.

That is half assed retarded button pusher pay.

You are either in China, where $10 an hour is great pay, and using a US address in your profile. Exaggerating your skills. Being severely taken advantage of. Or an owner of a struggling business and $10 an hour is all that is left over. If that is really what you know
that is $25-$30 an hour in an area that is semi-prosperous in spite of the economy. In a severely depressed area it still should get you $15-$20 an hour.

A guy like that would make at least $20 an hour out here - if he could get a job. Times are rough, but you can do better than $10 an hour sweeping floors or running a cash register in these parts. Sounds very underpaid to me.

GsT

I'd make room for a guy like that here for $20/hour + full benefits, clean shop and a good team of guys to work with . . . but if you screw up the team, YOU ARE GONE!!! :D

That is what I pay my 14yr old daughter to sweep the floor and she hasn't had a raise in over a year. The described job sounds like a $25-$30/ hr job to me before the current downturn, but still $20 min now as long as the company is still busy.

If you are the employer, there is a very easy metric to determine his real worth.
Fire him, and see how much money your business starts losing.

If you are the employee, there is a very easy metric to determine your own worth.
Cook up your resume and begin circulating it. Do NOT inform a SINGLE SOUL at
your workplace you are doing this.

Jim

How much to be paid

When times are tough you take what you can get. This person is a valuable asset to his co. & is being taken advantage of. he should really look elsewhere to try & better himself & if he gets a good offer & takes it he should tell his present employer to scratch his ass. I'll bet he tries to persuade him to stay & offer him a raise.

Exactly what he SHOULD be paid is hard to say. What is very easy to determine is that it is more than 10 bucks an hour.

Jeff

for a tech job like that I would guess in the 18-25 range. Give or take, plus bennies.

This is why I made the switch to a salaried position. I got tired of being bottom of the rung and getting stepped on.

About as much or as little as this person is willing to work for.

The funny/crazy bit is that if this person quits, he'll likely be replaced by someone getting paid 2-3 times as much who won't do half the work. But if this person asked for that salary now, would probably not get much.

About as much or as little as this person is willing to work for.

The funny/crazy bit is that if this person quits, he'll likely be replaced by someone getting paid 2-3 times as much who won't do half the work. But if this person asked for that salary now, would probably not get much.

That is the sad part, it seems in this trade, hopping around is the best way to increase a person's pay. I am self-employed now but back in the day when I was campaigning to get one of my underlings a raise, I always stressed what it would cost to replace a person. I think a lot of owners don't realize how much a person has progressed over time. They think of John as the 18 year old kid sweeping the floor, not the 25 year old Class A set-up man that he is today.

Back