What's new
What's new

How many paid holidays do you give?

Cheenist

Hot Rolled
The title says it all. I give my employees 10 paid holidays. Too many?? Here's my list;

1. New Years Eve Martin Luther King
2. New Years Day
3. George Washington’s Birthday
4. Memorial Day
5. July 4th
6. Labor Day
7. Thanksgiving Day
8. Day after Thanksgiving Veterans Day
9. Christmas Eve
10. Christmas Day

I don't take Martin Luther King Day off, instead give them New Years Eve off and also exchange Veterans Day for the day after Thanksgiving.

Carl

10. Only 8 or 9 are assigned. We usually end up with 1 or 2 "floating" holidays that employees can take whenever they want. 6 days sick time too.

Back before I sold My shop, this was my list;

1. New Years Eve
2. New Years Day
3. Martin Luther King Day
4. Jack Kennedy's Birthday
5. Memorial Day
6. July 4th
7. Labor Day
8. Veteran's Day !
9. Bobby Kennedy's Birthday
10. Thanksgiving Day
11. Day after Thanksgiving
12. Christmas Eve
13. Christmas Day

Never had a complaint from my staff, and incorporated dates into sale.

I have a friend who just went to a 4-10 week, and they work Tuesday thru Friday because most holidays are on Monday. He pays July 4th, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.

No vacation, no insurance, no benefits at all. He says your benefit is you still have a job.

You get new years day off, not because its the first day of the new year, but because its the day after New Years Eve.... So why not Super Bowl Monday??? That is the one day I've heard more people say they wish they had off. Its also the one day I wish a lot of people had taken off.

In my former life as a nursing home cook, we used to get 12 holidays, I didn't even know there where 12 holidays. Presidents day, columbus day, groundhog day???. Then cut it back to 8 with 1 personal day per quarter, then back to 6, with the personal days increasing with your 'time in[hell]'.

Why did I leave?(where is the smack yourself smiley) 8 personal days, 4 weeks vaca, 401k match, 8 days sick, 40 hour bonus check on my anniversary and $12.50 a week for a $5/10/20 copay insurance, vision, disability and life insurance.

Last job, the basics, labor day, 4th, memorial day, thanksgiving and then depending on how well we did that year, 1 or 2 days at x-mas and new years, each. Then again that place sucked, and it took 5 years to get 2 weeks of vaca, and it was pro rated on a 40 hour week, as was the 2 or 3 days of sick time. So if you put in 6 weeks straight of 70 hours and then 1 week of 32 hours, you got your full sick and vaca for the 6 weeks but didn't accumulate the full weeks sick and vaca for the 32 hour week. Vaca and sick time didn't count either so it was impossible to accumulate your total sick or vaca time for the year. The place was, and still is a shit hole.

Now, no employees. 2 people that actually give a shit can pump out more than 6 employees that don't. No "paid" holidays or vacations. No sick time, no OT, no holidays. Though to be fair I have taken probably at least 6 weeks of vaca this year with at least 6 nice going away vacations. Then again there have been times when I haven't gone home for up to 9 days straight, sleeping at the shop.

Company I work for is a supplier of industrial laundry and dry cleaning equipment. We also provide maintence for 45 dry cleaning plants for our parent company. We get paid for the 4 basics, New Years, Christmas day, 4 of July, Thanksgiving day. Any other holiday that they may decide to close is unpaid, but it's only one or two.

I can't and don't complain too much about only having 4 paid holiday days as we do get decent benifits and 2 weeks paid vacation in the first year. The boss over our divison is really good about letting you off a day or so without pay for any reason you desire as long as it donesn't impact operations.

We give what we call the big 7;
1. New Year's Day
2. Memorial Day
3. 4th of July
4. Labor Day
5. Thanksgiving Day
6. Day after Thanksgiving
7. Christmas Day

If someone feels strongly about a holiday such as MLK day, we respect that. They do not have to work, but we do not pay that day, and they must let us know in advance.

A little OT, but awhile back we had a bunch of guys get together and demand that they be given the day off, with pay, so they could attend a march protesting U.S. immigration policy, put on by the Council of La Raza. The next day there was a bulletin posted by the time clock to the effect that any employee who did not report to work on the day of the march would be fired immediately. No calling in sick, nada. Finally, a bit of management hardball I could get behind.

Your list looks good, but I think we swap George's day for Good Friday.

My mother works at the bank and she's the only one I've ever head of getting President's day off. I remember when I was in grade school I would have to go to school and she would get off work. I recall thinking how ironic that a private institution grants the holiday and the public institution shows up.

Our company gives 12 paid days.
New Years
Good Friday
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Day
The above are "fixed" days and taken as they come.
In addition, we get 4 "floating" days that are given after Christmas.
The facilities are almost always shut down the entire week from Christmas to January 2.

We give the big 7 + an extra day at Christmas for a total of 8 paid days.

The interesting thing about our business is that many of the engineers never get those days off as these are the days when plants are shut down and they expect you to be installing / debugging new equipment during the holiday shut downs.

So for them - pay for every hour worked x 2.25 on holidays - put in 18 hours on New Years day and you make a weeks wages.

+ 1 day a quarter PTO and if you need more time - time off without pay if approved by your manager (like this week when a few folks are out for elk season . . . including the shop manager)

Eight National holidays:- new year's day, good Friday, Easter Monday, first Monday in May, last Monday in May, last Monday in August, Christmas day, Boxing day.

Plus 25 floating days.

Our site permits most of the national holidays to be taken as floating days by the employees, this keeps the site working, because people would rather take holiday when it suits them rather than the same time as the rest of the country.

Here the national public holidays are..

New Years Day
Australia Day
Easter Friday
Easter Saturday
Easter Monday
Anzac day
Labour Day
Queens Birthday Holiday
Christmas Day
Boxing Day
Show Holiday.

As well as 4 weeks paid leave and usually 1 day RDO a month..All dependant on your employment terms..

The public holiday are set so that usually if they fall on a weekend they will be moved to either a friday or monday..For example this xmas, Friday the 25th and Monday the 27th are public holidays.

I live in AZ a right to work state and I have never in my 39 years had a single paid day off ever. My brother has a company and he gives no benefits or paid days off and if you ever miss a day you are fired dont come back no excuses. That means even if you are sick dont come back you are fired he only has to fire one or two people a month out of 70. I hate this state.

No days off?

Kpotter, How does your brother deal with the Family and Medical Leave Act? Even in a right to work state it is my understanding that certain rules from uncle big brother suppercede a businesses desires after they go over a fixed number of employees, and I think that that number is 5 IIRC. Better yet for those places that offer no bennies, what to do when this new healthcare gets rammed down our throats?

I live in AZ a right to work state and I have never in my 39 years had a single paid day off ever. My brother has a company and he gives no benefits or paid days off and if you ever miss a day you are fired dont come back no excuses. That means even if you are sick dont come back you are fired he only has to fire one or two people a month out of 70. I hate this state.

Does he himself gets fired also if he is sick for a day:nutter::nutter:

he only has to fire one or two people a month out of 70

So on average nobody works there longer than about 4 years

Peter from Holland

Back