they send you
are they permitted to make you sign a paper
stating that you either
stay 6 months after class is over
or
payback the grant money
the state is Pennsylvania
thnx for your time and effort in this matter

It might be worth investigating with the state agency that provides the grants whether the terms offered to companies that use it allow such demands. On the other hand, my feeling is that a company that allows an employee to take advantage of training, state grant or not, should be given a reasonable payback for the production time lost. Unless the place is horrible to work for, six months doesn't seem unreasonable.

I'm sure they would have you sign a few papers if they're handing over their money to you. It would be best to confer with an attorney prior to getting involved. JMHO

Last place I worked at pushed a handful of people through Microsoft A+ Certification, all the office butt kissers and a few field techs. Everyone had to sign a 2 year contract stating that if they left before 2 years after certified, they had to repay the entire cost of the class. A guy in my area left 1.5 years after getting the cert and he had to repay over $2000.00.
Whole thing ended up being a waste of time and money, so all the remaining classes were cancelled.

Back