What's new
What's new

Importing machine question. Harmonized Tariff Schedule

TFPace

Stainless
Are there any PM folks that have knowledge of importing metal working machines and the tariffs applied to such items?

I have searched Chapters 75 and 85. I'm looking and Chinese ironworkers. Please be easy on me :eek:

Thanks,

Tom

should get you in the neighbourhood. Looks like either 4.4% or 30%, I'm not sure of which column 1 or 2 applies.

Are there any PM folks that have knowledge of importing metal working machines and the tariffs applied to such items?
Did this a few times several years ago. For smaller amounts (under $100,000 or something ?) all you needed to do was get a bond. At the time it cost me about a hunnerd bucks. You can get a broker to do it for you but then you don't learn anything. Then the paperwork, which wasn't too hard. HuFlung is right, in general, duty on machine tools was about 4%. In SF the Customs place is right down by the Ferry Building and they were pretty helpful.

Did this a few times several years ago. For smaller amounts (under $100,000 or something ?) all you needed to do was get a bond. At the time it cost me about a hunnerd bucks. You can get a broker to do it for you but then you don't learn anything. Then the paperwork, which wasn't too hard. HuFlung is right, in general, duty on machine tools was about 4%. In SF the Customs place is right down by the Ferry Building and they were pretty helpful.

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to get this machine shipped into Norfolk, VA. They're very friendly and easy to contact. Port of New York on the other-hand is a puzzle I can't master.

The 4% is what I was looking for as was the number HFD provided.

Thanks,

Tom

Back