What's new
What's new

Storing sold equipment

Houndogforever

Hot Rolled
I have an old 10 ton punch press. I listed it on Craigslist and some guy wanted it. He ended up taking a cabinet, a bench, a buffer and the punch press all for $300. I need the space more than the money.

That was on the 11th this month but when he arrived, he had a closed top trailer and the press would not fit. So paid in full, and left the press to come back for it "next week".

You can see this coming.... He doesn't respond to my text messages now and it has been 20 days. I told him last week that it needed to be gone last week. no response.

I told him this week it needs to be gone this weekend or I am sending it to the scrap yard. No response.

So what are my options? How long do I "have" to hold on to this thing?

I welcome all suggestions and opinions.

If the sale was made through Craigslist and payment was cash with no paper trail then, at least legally,
there's probably no obligation at all on your part. Morally is another thing. And what kind of a guy was
he? If you send "his" machine off for scrap is he gonna show up at your door someday with one of those
big guns that you Americans are so proud of? :D

If I were in this situation I'd probably move the damn thing outside and cover it with a tarp. Pain in the ass
I know but it covers you for all situations. If there's been no contact after six months or so then scrap it...

If you feel like CYA you can send him a certified letter with a hard deadline, if he doesn't get back to you, scrap it and move on.

I had a guy buy a machine and then drop off the face of the earth. 3 years later he called to see if it was still here. Nope, I disposed of that thing a long time ago...

I have an old 10 ton punch press. I listed it on Craigslist and some guy wanted it. He ended up taking a cabinet, a bench, a buffer and the punch press all for $300. I need the space more than the money.

That was on the 11th this month but when he arrived, he had a closed top trailer and the press would not fit. So paid in full, and left the press to come back for it "next week".

You can see this coming.... He doesn't respond to my text messages now and it has been 20 days. I told him last week that it needed to be gone last week. no response.

I told him this week it needs to be gone this weekend or I am sending it to the scrap yard. No response.

So what are my options? How long do I "have" to hold on to this thing?

I welcome all suggestions and opinions.

Put it back up on Craigslist, if he doesn't come thru and get it maybe someone else will?
If you sell it again, give him the proceeds if he shows up and bitches!

I sold a machine twice, stored it for a year and a half, wanted it gone and no peep out of the first buyer?

I make sure when I sell something now that there is an agreed time for pickup! I need the room and if it gets in my way I will dispose of it without any hesitation!

Kevin

Back