What's new
What's new

Shop security systems - cost ? wireless ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Building with simple ADT system already installed... keypad at front and rear doors, 2 door break switches and 1 motion sensor. Any idea what ADT might charge per month to monitor this system ? Also, might it be possible for it to be rigged to a cell phone instead of via the usual wired business line ? I don't really need a wired line and I hate to pay $55 a month (min business rate) just for the freakin phone line.

I pay $25/month for regular phone with radio backup on my alarm. It's a local alarm company but I would think the big guys are in the same ballpark. If you just used a radio backup that would save you the cell phone bill.

I didn't think you needed a separate phone line. I just put one in with a sim card. I think it is $135 per quarter, no contract, local company. They use the local ambulance service to monitor the thing. I found that interesting that the security company doesn't necessarily do the monitoring. I guess some subcontract monitoring to 911 centers, and not necessarily the local one. The national companies go who knows where. I think the sim card was $10.00 per month more. The thieves today will cut the phone lines. No line, no call.

Everyone I know with wireless sensors has had false alarms and changed to wired. Also motion sensors will give false alarms in the cold, how cold I don't know.

I've got a wireless system with a mix of wired and mostly wireless sensors. The wireless sensors started out reliable enough, but over the years several have needed replacement for various reasons beyond battery replacement. If you're planning to be in this shop for the longer haul, you might want to pay for wired installation. More $ up front, but less hassle later.

Might also consider putting in temperature rise detectors. Smoke detectors don't work in most shops. You won't get early warning of a fire; but maybe enough to avoid some damage.

Also, might it be possible for it to be rigged to a cell phone instead of via the usual wired business line ?

I fitted a wireless system approx 18 months ago with GSM module & pay as you go sim card, so far I am very happy with the system. I dont have monitoring as I live next door & premises are in a residential area with friendly neighbours.

All events are reported to my mobile & I can control (cancel / re-set / alert etc) from my mobile with simple self set codes.

System is made in Israel if I remember correctly & impressed with the apparent quality of the components.

If you would like more info I can report back with details.

regards

Brian

Try a DVR hard-drive for recording only movements + heat from camera feeds. The wiring is rather simple...I have seen it in several residential applications.

Interesting...the hard-drive is one terabyte! Several cameras can take video capture for weeks on end before it starts erasing earliest data. This comes in handy when you don't realize something grew feet and departed for sometime.

One can go online to monitor and/or review past video captures (no fee).

On the cheapest side, go to a "private eye" type webstore and get a clock radio w/a covert camera that records to a SD card of your choice.

Geez, not to be indelicate of your situation, but there aren't four people in Texas that know the difference in an end-mill from a post hole digger.

burgler alarm

About 10 years ago while helping a friend, a Radio Shack alarm attached to the door would dial a programmed number and set off an alarm. You could tap in your land line for this at a low cost.

A burgler would know he activated an alarm (and I presume he would scoot out immediately), you could call the PD for them to check the building till you arrive, cheap a system as you can find.

About 10 years ago while helping a friend, a Radio Shack alarm attached to the door would dial a programmed number and set off an alarm. You could tap in your land line for this at a low cost.
I don't have a land line and don't want a land line...that was the main point of this thread.

I found that interesting that the security company doesn't necessarily do the monitoring. I guess some subcontract monitoring to 911 centers, and not necessarily the local one. The national companies go who knows where.

Some - maybe most of them - use call centers in Mumbai. As for the quality of response, it depends on the security company AND the local law enforcement.

Some police departments get so many false alarms they simply don't respond to any of them. So again, the security company has a lot to do with it.

A few companies work very well with the police. I was surprised to find that our city PD responds to every alarm with one local company.

If you are out in the county, get some dogs. County deputies won't drive ten minutes to respond. And the last thing a lone deputy wants is to encounter an armed burglar.

Doug

Hi! I am so glad that I found this thread because I seem to have the same questions.
In March, my husband and I moved to a new neighborhood and we were feeling pretty safe until last month. There have been 3 break-ins in 2 weeks! The best thing I can think of to protect us is a security system. I need some advice because I haven't done much research on the different types of systems. Does anyone have any experience with ADT home security? I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for any help you can give me!

I live in a town that has literally the oldest phone system in California. So using a land line for the alarm realistically wasn't an option as chances are the phone would be out of service when the alarm went off.
When we put our alarm system in there were a couple of local outfits that had no problem going with the cellular system only (I guess they like to use a phone line with a cellular back up). To date we have not had any problems with the wireless phone line for the alarm and it's been at least 5 years since we had it installed. We also talked to ADT and Brinks when looking at alarms and neither of them seemed as willing to take care of our needs. I don't remember which one it was, but one or the other required the phone line. That wasn't going to happen since the phone service here is so poor we were making it a point to have no phone line when we built our new house.
Zoom

Shop security systems

I'm also glad this question just came up. I live in the country and want a system that lets me know when someone comes thru my two driveways. My house is 500' from the shop and it would be very nice to know when someone is on the place, sort of like the bell dingers that were on the gas station driveways that let the guys that were working on a car know that a customer was there to get gas. I'm dating myself with the gas comment.
With the driveway alert it would also be nice to photo or video that same car so you had a record of the tresspassers. Is this possible???

Thanks everyone,
Rick Hinsen

In our area, ADT is MUCH more expensive for monitoring than the local guys. Also - ADT wants a contract and our local guys do not. So look hard at the local folks.

I'm also glad this question just came up. I live in the country and want a system that lets me know when someone comes thru my two driveways. My house is 500' from the shop and it would be very nice to know when someone is on the place, sort of like the bell dingers that were on the gas station driveways that let the guys that were working on a car know that a customer was there to get gas. I'm dating myself with the gas comment.
With the driveway alert it would also be nice to photo or video that same car so you had a record of the tresspassers. Is this possible???

Thanks everyone,
Rick Hinsen

Here you go Rick.

http://www.dakotaalert.com/catb2b1/index.php?cPath=47

It does have an external connection for starting a camera or whatever. That's phase 2 of my system that is still on the To Do list.

I use the motion detector model as I also want to know if someone walks down the driveway and the only problem is that it will also alarm in the middle of the night for raccoons, possums, etc. So, I use a two phase system. The dogs in the garage can hear the alarm go off and perk up. If they hear something in the driveway nearer the house, they start to bark like hell and I know someone is out there.

Steve

Back