What's new
What's new

LED High Bays in a Production Shop

pdizzle

Plastic
Hello All! Looking for advice as we consider replacing our Metal Halide lighting with LED Highbays (24000 lumen). Benefits would be savings on maintenance and energy consumption along with improved lighting presumably. I am curious if anyone has done this and has any opinions - one of my biggest concerns is the environment, particularly coolant mist eating away at the LEDs.

Thanks!

We did this over a year ago. Lot of talk beforehand about how sucky LED's would be in a shop and from 30 feet in the air. You know what? It's freakin' awesome. I don't pay the bill, Doosan does. I'm sure they are happy. And we worker bees cannot tell the difference. In actuality, they seem a bit brighter and whiter.

Paul

LED will have a higher luminous efficacy - more lumens of light per watt. It can be as much as 1.5x. Color rendition index (CRI) should be around 80 for LEDs - better than the 60 for metal halide. 100 is sunlight. So better color as well as better energy efficiency. The amount of light (total lumens) depends on what you buy - but you can meet or exceed what you had with no problem.

I like mine, at 16 feet off the ground I have seen no coolant issues, but I have a big fan suck out any fog. My power bill dropped about $200 per month. Had mine 2 years now.

Our offices have high bay LED. The glare and shadows were really bad until we added frosted diffusers. The lighting is very good now.

We put in some 2 foot square led high bays, part of a new Machine. If I was spending your money I would replace all of mine now, awesome and reduced wattage

Sounds like a positive for everyone and no issues with shop environment / coolant. Thanks everyone for the feedback

My experience with LEDs is the cheap self contained bulbs. They do not last long until the power supply fails. make sure they use a separate power supply so it can be replaced. I have a feeling these big high bay units are better quality but how can I tell? For home use a incandescent costs no more over it's life then the leds I can find in local stores.
I think the LEDs themselves are fine but much of the electronics are made in China by the lowest bidder.
Bill

Shadows are the only problem we experienced, which hurts finer deburring tasks. The savings will easily cover the necessary task lighting for bench work.

It's only a matter of time that the HID lamps we old guys have squirreld away y "for the retirement shop" won't make a bit of sense.

Last edited:
Signange shop the size of 2 tennis courts i was at todays done them, they work ace, great colour rendition and so far mantinance free apart from one DOA 4 years ish.

The owners kids ( they will be the next generation of owners of this place) looked into converting the shop over to LED. Over 100 fixtures would need to be replaced. The fathers solution to that was to buy 100 cases of florescent bulbs. They kind of dont care about money around here.

24000 lumen? I just replaced the hids with 12000 lumen led replacements. 36' to the lights, no diffusers. Looks like an operating room in the shop now, and didn't replace all the hids. Down side was they were $285 a piece through Grainger. 70+ lights. Ouch!
have fun i_r_

We just replaced 68 hid with led.
$325 cdn per lamp got some subsidies that made the blow softer.
Replacing 400w metal halides
40' roof

It's made a nice difference in the shop for light and colour rendering.
Easy swap over, bulb is separate from power source. Rated for wet environment. Made in Canada.

First month so no clue on power usage but there marked rating was way lower amperage.

Aimlite catalog # r2h-la1-2/40k

I think a big advantage is no loss of output over life cycle and less times Renting a lift to replace lights. Not to mention cheaper bills.
A long term no brainer if the product is quality.

Back