What's new
What's new

Losing some contracts. Need ideas to source production work.

JasonE

Plastic
Just found out a few of our on going contracts won't renew due to the customer selling their rights/interests to another company and we won't be getting them back. Figures since we have a horizontal on the way.

I recently created a thread about how some guys get contracts and remember guys mentioning talking to other machine shops for overflow was probably not a good source for work. That has been the majority of our work. Need some better contacts. We have a ton of places pretty local to us that are OEMs of various industrial products, but I don't know of half of them, how to find them, or how to even "properly" make contact with them. I simply HATE calling anywhere acting like a salesman. Worse is walking in somewhere asking for "the owner", then give them an earful about our company. Probably because I simply hate anyone walking in our shop unannounced trying to sell anything. Even if I have interest, I tell them to leave documents and go.

So, how might we make some new friends? Raise a flag that says "we will make you some parts"?

I simply HATE calling anywhere acting like a salesman.

Well, then hang 'er up..............................or..............Get in the car and start door knocking with a big smile on your face.

I haven'y actively looked for work in over 10-12 yrs....................It always seems to fall in my lap. Word of mouth work. But now I have one fairly good customer that is gettin up there in age. When he quits, he'll shutter his facility. One other place pulled a bunch of work in house. And yet another customer is not in the best of health and is not very active anymore. I'm not a sales guy either, but I can wear that cap if I have too. I have been putting out my feelers and more than likely gonna have to pound the pavement. It's all part of the game.................................

Just found out a few of our on going contracts won't renew due to the customer selling their rights/interests to another company and we won't be getting them back. Figures since we have a horizontal on the way.

I recently created a thread about how some guys get contracts and remember guys mentioning talking to other machine shops for overflow was probably not a good source for work. That has been the majority of our work. Need some better contacts. We have a ton of places pretty local to us that are OEMs of various industrial products, but I don't know of half of them, how to find them, or how to even "properly" make contact with them. I simply HATE calling anywhere acting like a salesman. Worse is walking in somewhere asking for "the owner", then give them an earful about our company. Probably because I simply hate anyone walking in our shop unannounced trying to sell anything. Even if I have interest, I tell them to leave documents and go.

So, how might we make some new friends? Raise a flag that says "we will make you some parts"?

I hear ya on hating the salesman call type of thing. What I have to wonder, is do they think I was sitting on my hands waiting for them to call on me before I'd make an order? NFW.
Other shops don't need you until the moment they need you. Put yourself forward as an 'emergency fill in' and 'will take emergency work until you get things under control'. And leave your business card. Smile. Leave. Then take action when called on. Be careful about how many shops you visit with this offer ;)

I sort of tried this approach in the past and then we get a call to make some fancy 5 axis part in 48hrs, with .001" tolerances. Or we need this little blocks quick. Like over night and we want to pay walmart pricing on them.

Don't get me wrong, we have a few decent customers, but they are not sending out more work. We have their production and that is it. The rest is just me being bitter about diving back in the pool and trying to find ways to spot potential customers. Its not like they hang an ad on craigslist looking for someone to make parts for them.

Need some better contacts.

Hello Jason,
I understand your situation very well. To be successful, I believe that becoming a bullshit artist is not the way. Most of the high quality contacts out there will know when they're being hoodwinked. Just be honest and stand by the quality of your work. Think of it this way, as you stated above, you really only have one problem.
otrlt

I'll go ahead and subscribe to this thread.
i too am looking for a way out of the onsie - twosie and fill in work from other shops.

How many of you leverage your salespersons? The Sandvik, Iscar, Kennametal, Ingersol, steel, wire, plastic, bolt, welding and hand tool salespeople know inside names at the larger companies that may be in a position to try you out. Networking pays.. and sometimes pays very well.

Back