What's new
What's new

Intuit Quick Books Simple Start 2008.... can I put this on two computers ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Been using it for years at the office, but occured to me it would be nice to have on shop computer just for creating invoices I can email. But then suspect it is rigged to work only on one "seat"...yeah or nea ? I do have a vague memory of having to call Intuit the first time I set it up for a secret code to unlock it, and then getting accosted with all sorts of sales BS in the process.

No harm in trying, I know I can install Pro on more than one, even though I basically have one licence. Seems to go on the internet and re-register the second installation without problem.

But, you're going to have the file synchronization problem, or no? Can't merge two different versions of the file unless they have crafted it for that.

I basically use my second installation just to restore my backup file to once in a while, so I can trust that the back-ups are valid.

I bought QuickBooks a while back It does not have a registration Serial in the box. You install as many times as you want. Mine was, Home and Small Business, if I recall. Give it a try.

George

You can install it on as many computers as you wish, but they cannot share a file. Each one is an independant program. If on a network and you were to close one program and go to the other computer and open that file on the other computer that would work, but they cannot work on the same program simultaniously

I always figured it was dangerous to have 2 sets of books. Even if you are just making invoices from one computer you run the risk of getting your books all screwed up.
What about just using something like Go to my PC?

Yes you can install on several computers, with one user.

Down side is you need to "share" of Backup and Restore files each time you change computers. Royal pain if yo forgot you ran a few invoies on other computer.

LogMeIn.com is freeware like Go to my PC, you can open your Office computer anywhere...so you don't have to worry about which instance you are using and updating. Just Log in and write Invoices or whatever.

For the version he has, probably so. The very widely used 'business' networked versions, OTOH, were specifically arranged to maintain data integrity under (perceived) simultaneous use of multiple users. And they did it reasonably well, though not so perfectly that the odd file didn't need a rebuild now and then.

QB's transactional integrity itself was near-as-dammit bullet-proof. That part is as good as it gets, even DB2 or PostgreSQL class.

Glitches in the wetware, hardware, network, or most commonly of all - the Windows platform UNDER it - were nearly always the cause of faults.

Bill

I have been with quickbooks since V1 for DOS, and currently run Enterprise. I was answering the specific question asked.

Back