What's new
What's new

Metal Roof Forming Equipment--What to Buy?

munruh

Hot Rolled
I've had a potential customer approach me about making/forming metal roof parts for them. There are two pars one is 7" wide and the other 24" wide. They would supply the coiled roll of metal. Metal is .017 thick. We know CNC machines here, but are kind of lost on how to look into equipment for this. Attached is a screen shot of one of the jobs. What kind of coil processor would we need to cut the material? Pieces are 10 ft long. Then also will it be a special brake or some kind of forming machine? Does anyone have any experience working with metal building parts? They seem to think it is a forming machine where you run the parts in lengthwise, but looks to me almost like a brake job.

We have lost some customers so are enthused about another line of work, but not sure where to head in at on this one. Thanks!

It would be helpful to know what you are talking about. 10' pieces seems to limit it to things like roof caps, rake caps, and outside corners. Even though they come in standard lengths I expect they are roll formed.

It would be helpful to know what you are talking about. 10' pieces seems to limit it to things like roof caps, rake caps, and outside corners. Even though they come in standard lengths I expect they are roll formed.

That's what I thought too.

But this supplier was bending his own, and he explained he bought the same equipment as the roofing OEM.

So allot of it is not roll formed. I suspect the flying cut-off shear would mangle some of the profiles.

Google "Roof panel machines". They are out there.

Don't know if your customer wants a custom profile, but maybe custom dies could be made?

I suspect most roofing pieces are roll formed. When i needed new eaves trough a long time ago I had a guy come out who had a roll forming machine in the back of a trailer. He would roll form eaves trough as long as you wanted it so the only seams you would have were in the corners. I cannot remember how he cut the eaves trough.

Back